Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Welcome To The New Cooking/Cookbook Forum

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Nettdata, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Welcome to the new cooking forum, thanks to a suggestion by @NatCH.

There will be a stickied "general cooking" thread (which is the original cooking thread moved in here and stickied), but all other posts will be a single topic for a single recipe, so that it in effect becomes a communal cookbook.

Post here if you have any suggestions.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And yes, we are getting old.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In order to keep things easy to follow, don't get cute with the topic name... just call it whatever dish you're either asking about or providing a recipe for.

Don't say whether you're asking or giving in the title, leave that to the first post.

Basically, when you come into the sub forum, you should just see a list of recipe titles, not cute titles that you have to figure out... let's keep it as easy as possible to navigate should we get a lot of entries.

4. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't lie, this is just some clever ploy between you and @NatCH to crowdsource a whole bunch of recipes to develop and sell your own cookbook to the masses. Instead of Cooking for Dummies, you'll have Cooking by Idiots.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha. I couldn't really tell you a recipe if my life depended on it. So much of it is just figuring out amounts/times/etc as you go by tasting and testing stuff.

6. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The truth is I’m not a great cook. But I really wanna try some new shit, and the recipes you’re all posting sound damn good.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Awesome idea, thanks for starting this.

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, thanks to Nett for adding his soup recipe, and editing in some explanations of the terms.

I think that's why cooking makes me nervous. I don't know what people mean by "sweating," or making a "reduction" or what a "roux" is. Hell, the trick of using your thumb to explain how a steak feels and how to cook it to your own preference? Blew my fucking mind. So having those terms explained into a definition of "how it will look or feel" is really helpful.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Create it in its own topic, not as a reply to this one.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'm kind of like nett in the fact that I use a lot of sensory cues when I cook. What you say makes me think that maybe I could share some simple recipes on here to help people like you out. I might have a hard time describing how I make gumbo, but I sure as hell can tell you how to make a roux. I wasn't sure what recipes I would be able to share here but I think I'll start with stuff like that.

11. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think that's a great idea. Sometimes I have a hard time nailing down the basics, which can end up ruining the whole dish.

12. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

......... Neat!

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Ragin' Cajun, I know you can cook. Share some recipes !

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Can we do a recipe request thread for in here?

Because I've been looking all over for a bernaise recipe and there are so many different ones that I'm not sure which one to trust. Not that I follow recipes by the letter (I go more off feel), but I definitely use them as a jumping off point then tweak to my own preferences.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I made this with my home-grown herbs, and it was crazy easy and stupidly tasty.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

This sauce is no joke.

Used it as a guideline. More peppercorns and capers than recommended, also used duck egg yolks which made a MASSIVE difference (I’ve done hollandaise with chicken egg yolks and it was.... meh).

Unfortunately the tarragon I had wasn’t the best, but I’ve learned the taste value of a spending extra for butter from grass fed cows and that added a lot as well.

Regardless, I’d put my bernaise up against anything I’ve had from a restaurant, and again this was my first time. I’m sure it’ll only improve the more I do it.

17. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I don't know where to put this but this works I guess.

I am trying Hello Fresh for the first time. My delivery will be on the 13th. Has anyone tried it? Have any tips? Should I have gone with a different company like Blue Apron? Tips please.

18. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did it for a few months and really liked it. Only stopped when it got to the crazy hot portion of the year and the ice packs they ship with couldn't keep up when it got 100 plus out. Probably should start back up now that it's cooling off.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's what she said.

20. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did 7 weeks of blue apron. I canceled it because I didn't like the amount of food or the choices. If I bought the food on my own it would cost $20 for the week or less. I was paying $60. You got huge portions of grains/carbs, and small portions of proteins/veggies. My wife doesn't like sweet sauces with her meals, and half the dishes had sweet sauces. I think I would have been much happier if I had 20 things to choose from. I also had a seafood dish that was inedible. There was no way the recipe could have been tested.

In the end what it really taught was to stop being lazy, make a meal plan and execute it.