Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Weird White People Shit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

oh. Self burn! The best!

Id think a competing thread called “weird black people shit” wouldn’t fly

2. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I think you tend to find that most of the activities tend to be divided along class lines, given the chance to experience the same things. Renn faires are a little difference because of the nature of the activity, but you can find the same sort of thing with some asian nerds. Colonialism did a hell of a lot of work wrecking a lot of people's shit though, and this is one of those aftereffects.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

or white people pretending to be asian nerds. Which is also a weird white people thing.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Capture.PNG

5. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Certainly seems to fly, since half of reddit's meme content is focused around it

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

those are called "mexi-mobiles" around here. But instead of a nice car, it's a lowered pickup that they somehow got to work again using a can of starter fluid, parts from 4 different engines, and a whole bunch of tie wire. The car's inevitable death comes by way of speed bump or pothole.

7. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was a thread about that on the old board, except you could ask questions about any race/ ethnicity you wanted, AND MEMBERS OF THOSE GROUPS GAVE THOUGHT-OUT ANSWERS.

They even explained that shit; basically, it was a cultural thing, because (I shit you not) the wheels were probably stolen, they didn't fit/ look right for your vehicle, but the goal was to make them fit anyway.
    Ex: You've got some late '80 American car, but a local tire shop is selling some 24" chrome rims, and they've got them out on display, UNGUARDED.
    You jack them, and you take them to a shop to make them fit, and the only way is with adapters and a lift kit.

Now, of course, not all Donks have stolen wheels, but that is where the style came from.

I've heard.

FOCUS: Shitty taste in music and dance. I'm thinking of polkas, waltzes, basically anything from Europe.

Goddam, no wonder other races think we've got no rhythm or style.

8. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They know we have no rhythm, they've seen us dance.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Country music songs about weird shit like tractors.

Part of me just refuses to admit country died when Billy Ray Cyrus became famous.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

There's still great country music out there, just that right now a lot of women are writing and singing it, which presents its own issues for the good ole boys in Nashville.

11. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know a SHIT-TON of Mexican-American guys who like that type of music.

I'm a card-carrying white guy, and even I don't listen to any country music past the mid-'90s; yes, Billy Ray Cyrus killed country music.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

there's a dude named Morgan Wallen who's starting to break out and gives off some serious BRC vibes. Except Wallen can actually write and sing.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s because it’s not country music. It’s just really, really crappy rock. Just throw in the term “sugar-shaker”, a fiddle and something involving rack & pinion steering and you have yourself a country hit.

I think that Chris Stapleton is an exception. He’s a genuinely talented singer, musician and songwriter. Hank III has some great stuff too.

14. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I forgot all about Hank III. I'd pay to see him.

15. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I gave up on post-90's country music but guys like Stapleton and Luke Combs give me hope. The rest of it is so cliche it's like there's a formula to writing it they all follow it.

16. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Garth Brooks killed country music. Watch Ken Burns documentary on country music. Country was still doing ok* until he came along with just catchy songs with no substance and his shows where he'd be flying over the crowd on wires, back up dancers, pyrotechnics etc. Which sucks because the dude is actually talented unlike BRC.

Country went down hill after the outlaw movement. Waylon has always and will always be the king. Period. Lock thread.

17. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As much as I hate to say it, you’re right. I was always a huge fan of Garth, saw him in concert twice back in the early years and loved it. But the production kept getting bigger and over the top. The second time we saw him, he was running around screaming, too out of breath to sing at times. And like you said, he’s talented, especially when he does a stripped down acoustic show. His newest post-retirement stuff has all been “meh” to me.

That some great musicians got lost in his wake was a damn shame.

Give me Johnny Cash.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

With a three hour-long live show that’s half country and half metal, no music artist gives fans their money’s worth with more effort. He’s nuts, and limitlessly talented.

19. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And a nice dude. He was a customer at the music store, and was always polite and friendly. But he shied away from talking about his participation in the Jesco White documentary.

I’ve been digging on the more Americana style country. Tyler Childers’ “Purgatory” is a solid album.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should listen to The Handsome Family. They are the group that had their song as the theme to season 1 of True Detective. The album that song came from is really interesting. Its dark Americana.