Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Weekend Sober Thread: Shit's Gettin' Real in Egypt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Jan 28, 2011.

1. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If the protesters are backed by the US, then no matter what the outcome, we're going to lose favor with countries backing Mubarak, like Israel and Saudi Arabia.

2. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not particularly momentous or anything, but I've been told that my university's Cairo program (where my roommate & RGCT studied) got students the fuck out of Egypt, as of Sunday. If RGCT was still there (I don't think he was; I think it's a one-semester program), he'd be out by now.

3. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Good article: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12326880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12326880</a>

Big march planned for tomorrow(Tuesday). If executed well, this could be it. The populace has made it abundantly clear that Mubarrak's cabinet moves will not suffice. Police aren't engaging with protesters, and the army has decided to stand down as well. At this point, what could stop people from physically removing Mubarrak from wherever he is now. I assume he still has some degree of protection around him, but a mass of people could take them down right? Man I hope tomorrow's march is the end of it.

4. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I guess we could always covertly help the protesters without publicly supporting them. Wait, what's that? Something about Kennedy and pigs?

Sarcasm aside, isn't there any way to appease our allies without supporting Mubarak? Maybe something along the lines of "Hey, we can't support this guy, but we can do X or help you with Y so that this doesn't become a danger to you." I understand the realpolitik aspect here, but at the same time, we have preached at length about the righteousness of overthrowing tyrants for the good of the people. I'm not saying Mubarak as another Hussein, but the idea of invading Iraq yet refusing to help these protesters is hilarious in its hypocrisy. We will keep our allies' favor, but I doubt we will keep their respect. Not after essentially saying "Freedom is the best thing ever, and everyone deserves to have it, and we will gladly support those who want it. Unless, of course, doing so would make us unpopular."

Or hey, maybe I have my head stuck in the sand. I guess we'll find out over the next weeks/months.

Edit: Of course, if the protesters don't end up needing our help, that changes things entirely.

5. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I sincerely hope we at least have some kind of CIA black ops, covert spy thing going on to help them out.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well it's already going on in Yemen and Iranian nuclear scientists are waking up with their throats slit, I don't see why we couldn't give an Egyptian coup a little nudge.

7. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else find the coverage of the Egyptian economy pretty retarded? Yeah, general strikes nationwide are going to have a negative impact on the economy. And I'm sure soccer practice was also interrupted. Kind of missing the point.

I don't think Washington was worried about market liquidity during the revolution. And, it's not like the people uprising really have any assets or a functional economy to rely on in the first place.

The whole "how does this affect UAW retirement fund investments" angle seems to be a bit of a waste of broadcast time.

8. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't know you could wake up with your throat slit. The rest of the day must drag like a bitch what with the anemia and all.

9. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mubarak supporters have started to demonstrate.

This shit might be gettin' realer.

10. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The government just announced it's shutting down ALL cell phone service. That's a major upping of the ante. If those kids can't get on Facebook it's on like Donkey Kong.

11. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought they already had done that.

Some reports are saying the pro-Mubarak supporters are in the thousands, others say it's as low as 200.

My money is on the supporters being plain clothed police under orders to start a melee, which the uniformed police can use as an excuse to get heavy handed with the protesters.

12. Rabbit B.

Rabbit B.
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I love google.

<a class="postlink" href="http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/some-weekend-work-that-will-hopefully.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/ ... fully.html</a>

13. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

AJZ showed a panned out view of the pro-Mubarak rally. Definitely closer to 200 than "thousands."

14. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Syrian ambassador to the US is coming to speak at my school this Wednesday. The original topic was his thoughts on the peace process in the Middle East. Should be interesting to see how or if he includes this in his speech. The Q & A session should be fun too.

15. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10 km from Tahrir Square to the Presidential Palace.

What's the over/under on how far the million man march gets?

16. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Israel shocked by Obama's betrayal of Mubarak

Ha. I fully understand Israel's importance in the Middle East, but, seriously? If the Israeli definition of 'reliability' is the unquestioned support of any political situation that is to their sole benefit then, yes, we're extremely unreliable.

Israel would be well advised to keep its mouth shut right now. They're not earning any points with the upcoming transitional government by vocally supporting a widely hated dictator. Chest-puffing jackasses.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, losing its super power status? Over Mubarrek? Can you at least try to not make me laugh, Israel?

18. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Israel's response might be extremely arrogant, but that's pretty consistent with how they've been behaving the last few years (or with Obama in power). This is a country that receives billions in aid and then acts as though it's the one that dictates the terms of its relationship with the United States. And it gets away with it, too.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well Egypt better watch it's P's and Q's as itself is the 5th largest aid recipient from the US.

20. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Right. If Egypt isn't careful we'll cut off their supply of teargas.

God, who thought it'd be a good idea to stamp "Made in the USA" on that? Do they not know what the stuff is used for?