Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Weekend Sober Thread: Shit's Gettin' Real in Egypt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Now theres a call for US intervention in Libya. Fuck that, theres plenty of other countries in the world with active militaries, let one of them do it. Other countries bitched and moaned about our involvement in Iraq, so ya know what? Lets sit this one out and let the UN deal with it as they claim they should.

2. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The call isn't coming from other countries. Britain and France are raring to go right now, with or without us. It's mostly our own neo-conservative block who are calling for serious military intervention, and I'd be shocked if the administration bowed to that kind of pressure. No, we're not going anywhere without Security Council approval, and both China and Russia would veto that resolution. We'll be watching, just like everyone else.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Things have been a bit quiet on the revolutionary front, but I just saw this:

<a class="postlink" href="http://storify.com/omarc/al-jazeera-cameraman-killed-in-libya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://storify.com/omarc/al-jazeera-cam ... d-in-libya</a>

4. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The international press has its sights on Japan for the forseeable future. If you want to learn about what's happening in Libya and elsewhere, you're going to have to look for it. Bad timing for the Libyan rebels. Gaddafi must be crowing.

5. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But it must be said: between a massive natural disaster, the aftermath of the Egyptian and Tunisian revolutions and potentially continued unrest in Bahrain (will the Grand Prix be cancelled or rescheduled? I'm on the edge of my seat) Charlie Sheen or some other celebrity will really have to kick it up a notch and die for us to sufficiently continue to ignore the rest of the world.

6. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Short of a Jersey Shore member trying to cover up the brutal murder of a Real Housewife he committed with a pregnant 16 year old, I'm not sure what's left.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

US is now launching cruise missles against Libya. Good, fuck em.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The French are getting into the thick of things too, it seems.

9. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone else find it a bit unusual that the French are involved so heavily? They have not been into overtly flexing their military muscle. Yes, they have a presence in the northern part of Afghanistan (but not nearly to the extent of the U.S., Britain, Australia or Canada) and the French Foreign Legion has been involved in various missions around Africa, but from what I gather they were ready to nearly single-handedly impose a no-fly zone. They undoubtedly have naval assets in the Mediterranean, but so do plenty of other countries. It no longer even has colonial interests in North Africa (other than, perhaps, trying to promote the use of French, which is still used in universities, TV stations, and among the upper class).

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Maybe not Libya, but they're hugely invested in Chad, if I remember correctly, which is right next door to Libya.

Odds are they have a formidable military presence there, and this is an opportunity for them to actually do something for the UN effort relatively easily.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm fucking confused. Too much shit going on in too many places.

So, to help my old and easily-confused brain, I've created a new thread for the Libya situation.

12. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I vote for Rebecca Black.