Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Weekend Sober Thread: Shit's Gettin' Real in Egypt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Jan 28, 2011.

1. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck it, as long as we can get rid of some Cuse fans I'm game.

2. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sebha is one of the few towns still under loyalist control. I can understand dictators rooting for their fellows to remain in power, but what fucking idiot sends actual aid? Christ. You're going to need those weapons back when you own people hear about this.

3. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

North Korea are a bunch of loons. Just a few weeks ago they were requesting foreign aid from the US. NK like to flex their muscle, but they can't even feed their troops. Not to mention China would step in as they don't want that shit overflowing into their land.

If anything, we should be worried about Saudi Arabia overturning. $20 gas would turn up overnight, the US would be fucked. Good thing the prince just pumped a couple hundred million into social services to quell the protestors. Who knows if that'll calm them for good.

4. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think it's very unlikely.

1) Saudi Arabia has a much lower population density. Logistically, it's hard to riot when everyone is spread so thin. More importantly, people tend not to get so worked up when population density is not as high (hence why countries like Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya have been so crazy).

2) Not as much nationalist sentiment in Saudi Arabia. There is a huge proportion of migrant workers from everywhere in the Middle East who is in Saudi Arabia to work. The conditions in Saudi Arabia are much better than back home (e.g. Syria, Jordan, etc), so most of them are grateful to be there with a job. An immigrant generally doesn't have as much stake issues of national pride, and they're happy as long as they can send some money to their families back home.

3) The Saudi royal family is a lot more sensible than the governments we've seen so far. They are a lot quicker to get the situation under control and are willing to make concessions if it works to their benefit.

4) Relative to the rest of the Middle East, Saudi Arabia has one of the highest GDPs and GDPs per capita. Here's a map for comparison. Despite the protests, people in Saudi Arabia are pretty happy overall—well, happy enough that overthrowing the government does not seem like a good alternative.

5) If things really got bad, the U.S. and EU would intervene and make sure Saudi royal family offered adequate concessions to placate people. No one is seriously calling for the disbandment of the royal family, meaning the protests can be resolved (or suppressed) relatively peacefully, whether with U.S. intervention or without.

5. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The BBC had an interview with Gaddafi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12603259

He says that all his people love him, and also this.

His delusions might be funny if it wasn't so sad.

6. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a report on the CBC right now about the ghaddafi regime's la ish concerts with wester. Pop stars. Lionel Ritchie, apparently, was paid 5 million dollars for a 5 song set. Some others include nelly furtado, usher, beyonce, and I think they mentioned janet Jackson or Mariah Carey. Furtado was paid a million bucks.

And this, along with glee royalties, is how washed up pop stars make a living. And I suppose it puts a new meaning of the term 'fuck you money'. As in, "hey, citizens, did you want a hospital or sanitation? Well, fuck you!"

Ghaddafi has also had his Canadian assets frozen after attempting to withdraw funds from a Canadian bank. I bet that'll bring him back to reality.

7. misnomer

misnomer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Hands up if you think Gaddafi and Charlie Sheen hire the same speechwriter.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nelly Furtado is donating the million bucks she got for her gig to charity.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hindustantimes.com/Singer-Nelly-Furtado-donating-1-million-from-Gaddafi-bash/Article1-668052.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hindustantimes.com/Singer-Ne ... 68052.aspx</a>

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did he pay her with weaponry?

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Man, sometimes stuff just makes me scratch my head and think "WTF?".

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/03/02/ns-hmcs-charlottetown-libya.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... libya.html</a>

Basically, Canada is sending a warship, from Halifax, NS, to Libya, to bring home some 200 Canadian citizens.

It's expected to take the ship about a week to get there.

They did try and send a military aircraft, but they were refused permission to land. I'm assuming it was because of the military nature of the flight. We have 2 C-17's and 2 Hercs in Malta, which is just a short swim from Libya. From what I understand, a civilian charter aircraft wasn't allowed to go because the insurance company wouldn't cover the entry into such an unsettled airspace. Why can't the government just say "fuck it, we'll underwrite it" and send the civilian flight after all?

I'm just wondering how a ship will be any different? What's to say that they won't get refused entry to any port?

Surely there has to be a more expedient method of grabbing our people than sending a warship. Don't they have rental boats in Libya? Surely they could just ferry them to Malta faster than they could recover them via warship.

Unless some other local navy can help out beforehand, and then transfer them over to the Canadian ship once it arrives.

I have no idea.

11. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Limes

Limes
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well now thats the last straw, FUCK THAT.

14. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My friend and I were arguing over whether W's initiative in Iraq lit the spark that's created the Middle East revolution.

He believes it did. I don't see the logic in it.

There's a major difference between revolution and occupation.

16. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am sure someone can correct me; however based off population and geographic size I don't think population density is a problem in Libya. Quite the opposite.

17. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Actually you're right about that point. I was generalizing for areas such as Egypt and a couple of the other smaller countries like Syria, Jordan, etc.

A friend of mine who has been involved in Iraq's reconstruction for the last 10 years believes part of Egypt's revolution was inspired by the democratic elections in Iraq. His summary being that the Egyptians saw Iraq and thought, "if they can do it, so can we." No idea if that's true but it's an interesting perspective, and I definitely trust his insight over mine.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Libya just killed their internet connections.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/traffic/?r=LY&l=WEBSEARCH&csd=1299014407973&ced=1299241800000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.com/transparencyrepor ... 9241800000</a>

19. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have no doubt he'll get it, too.

I just think the exit will be of a bigger scope than he was thinking.