Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Weekend Drunk Thread 2/26/10

Discussion in 'Weekly Drunk Threads' started by shegirl, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatisinaname

whatisinaname
    Expand Collapse
    Hoping to be even a fraction of the man Jim is.

How did we go from beautiful girl, girl, and a third sex talk to this nonsense? Who opened this thread to this text-type teen?

Meh, maybe it's poker time.

2. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Getting to work from home means I've been drinking since 4. I worked til 5, but, you know, USA Hockey and all.

So, I have a very important question for those who likely know more than me about the subject.

I'm moving into an apartment in June/July. I want a dog. I work all day. These three things don't go together, but... what kind of dog can I get who can be left alone for 8 hours in an apartment, and still be happy? I'm worried that this doesn't exist and I'll have to let my lady get a cat. Fuck cats.

And no raping my future dog, please.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I foolishly gave up alcohol for Lent. I have a bottle of Bailey's that I'm dying to break into.

My best friend's 21st is on the 7th. Spring break is also coming up in a couple weeks. Fuck. I need to think these commitments through next time.

4. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

Agreed.

Attached Files:

5. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

There is no "one type of breed" that can answer this question. Breed makes a difference, but so does the energy of the dog. My thoughts:
    1. You see the best results if you adopt a puppy; it is also the most difficult thing to do. If you have the time and the space, adopt it NOW and get it over the shitty puppy phase while you can spend a great deal of time with it.
    2. Go to the Humane Society or SPCA or whatever. An older dog (and I mean OLDER, not just an adult) might be a good idea; they require less exercise.
    3. In general, larger breeds can require less work. I'm thinking St. Bernards, Newfies, etc. These dogs are classified as 'low energy.' Oddly enough, whippets and greyhounds are kind of like cats - they laze around mostly, and have short bursts of high speed.
    3. a. I strongly recommend avoiding these breeds, given your circumstances: border collies, viszlas, weinmareners, jack russells, parsons russel, any herding or cattle breed (blue tick heeler, etc).
    4. ANY dog, regardless of breed, requires your time, attention and daily walks. No exceptions.
    5. Spend time with the dog before you adopt it. Gauge its energy; is it timid? High strung? Laid back? The individual dog's energy is about 90% of the selection process.

And please don't ever rape it.

6. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

... yet.

7. whatisinaname

whatisinaname
    Expand Collapse

Answer: A stuffed one.

Seriously, as a life long dog owner and someone who used to travel 45 weeks out of the year, if you don't have a pet sitter or a doggy daycare place to take him/her, don't do this. An adult dog might be okay, but a puppy will freak out being left alone all day.

Maybe if you can come home for lunch...a small dog...but I think you're just asking for torment and an unhappy pet.

Edit: Dcc said it better, but I still say DON'T unless fully committed with your time.

8. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

TiB girls don't do that. They're classy and have much more self-respect than that.

Okay, all kidding aside, I'll take the under.

9. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You just continue to be my favorite person on here, though it's for completely selfish reasons, obviously...

I'm actually going to have more time at home starting then, because my commute is going to be drastically reduced, so I couldn't get a pup now. Daily walks are no problem, and I'm happy to walk him/her in the morning and at night, I just don't wind to wind up with a dog who needs constant attention that I can't give it when I have to work.

What about a boxer? does anyone have any experience with them? (honestly, I'd probably wind up with a mutt, but I want a cool dog who I can give a funny name to.)

10. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe you should just quit your job. Then could you spend all the time you want with your dog. Until you turn into a raging alcoholic and you beat the dog, and the dog doesn't understand whats going on. And everytime you walk in the door the dog, remembering only that he loves you, jumps to greet you and you're all hungover or drunk and angry and you kick the dog like the drunk asshole you are.

Yeah, I had a neighbor like that.

11. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

"A walk" should be AT LEAST an hour. Preferably at the heel, because having to focus on what they're doing drains their energy far quicker.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...Oh, sorry...were you serious? Holy cow. My cousin breeds boxers. They're great dogs, but your situation + boxer = hell on earth. Boxers have a prolonged puppyhood - welcome to five years of a juvenile dog. They are highly athletic. They tend to be high energy, too. 1 out of every 10 boxers will be a mellow, cool love. The other nine are going to be frenetic shitheads that will drive you nuts. Good for farms. Not for apartments.

12. fishysticks

fishysticks
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I wish I had the energy to read everything above me.. but after a week like I had i'm sick of listening to other people. Sick 5 month old who won't eat a DAMN THING without force and is shitting snot all over the place.
    On my way to drunk and I deserve it!

13. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I recommend not looking online for "good apartment dogs" because apparently half these lists are wrong. All I want is someone to be happy to see me when i get home... because it's sure not my girlfriend, haha.

14. whatisinaname

whatisinaname
    Expand Collapse

"What about a boxer? does anyone have any experience with them? (honestly, I'd probably wind up with a mutt, but I want a cool dog who I can give a funny name to.)"

Thanks, I cannot stop laughing. The perfect dog for you would be a Dalmatian. They are low energy, hear commands well, and sleep all day. Best wishes!

15. satan rae

satan rae
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Hockey beers.
    How we (Canada) continue to play will determine how many more get drunk and in what mind frame.

16. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Yeah, it sounds like you need to do some gut-checking and see what your motivations are. A "cool looking dog with a funny name who greets you when you get home," sounds like you're only focused on your needs.

To me, a dog is like a kid*, in terms of responsibility level. If you bring it into your life, you must acknowledge that it has specific needs that deserve to be met. Exercise, structure, and lastly affection/love. If you ignore these needs, or focus only on the affection (which is mostly for you), you are being unfair to the dog.

*Dogs are not children. They have markedly different needs. Anyone who treats their dog as they would their baby is a fucking retard. Again, that type of behaviour is unfair to the dog.

17. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A sign I'm getting older: tonight's drinking is limited to a nice 2008 Malbec, accompanying a fat NY Strip Steak from the grill.

Luckily, tomorrow night a bender is planned....

18. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Right, which is why I'm trying to find what types of dogs will suit my lifestyle. Like I said, I want to get a little guy who can chill while I'm at work, and will be happy with being alone from 8 - 6. Of course, I'm concerned that this doesn't exist...

Ehhhh forget it. My girlfriend treats responsibilities like the plague. We'll probably wind up with a goldfish or something...

19. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Hey! I thought I was your favourite! Jeez. SOMEONE'S moody. Just kidding.

Just makin sure you're aware of what you're getting into and why you're doing it. I have a thing about making sure dogs are okay.

20. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I know. I just have this fear of winding up with a cat. I had a cat growing up, he was the nicest cat that ever lived, and I'm still fairly certain he didn't notice when we weren't there.

This is just all part of my need to find a job that doesn't require me to work every day...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.