Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Weekend Drunk Thread 10/19/12 - 10/21/12

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nom Chompsky, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I've been a fan of Louis CK for a while, and a fan of Tig Notaro for longer, and this is an amazing story:

Greetings to the people and parts of people that are reading this. Hi. This is Louis. I'm a comedian and you bought a thing from me. Well, I'm writing to tell You that there is a new thing you can buy on my website louisck.com. It's an audio standup set by not me but another comedian named Tig Notaro. Why am I selling someone else's comedy on my website?

Well, Tig is a friend of mine and she is very funny. I love her voice on stage. One night I was performing at a club in LA called Largo. Tig was there. She was about to go on stage. I hadn't seen Tig in about a year and I said how are you? She replied "well I found out today that I have cancer in both breasts and that it has likely spread to my lymph nodes. My doctor says it looks real bad. ". She wasn't kidding. I said "uh. Jesus. Tig. Well. Do you... Have your family... Helping?". She said "well my mom was with me but a few weeks ago she fell down, hit her head and she died". She still wasn't kidding.

Now, I'm pretty stupid to begin with, and I sure didn't know what to say now. I opened my mouth and this came out. "jeez, Tig. I. Really value you. Highly.". She said "I value you highly too, Louie.". Then she held up a wad of note-paper in her hand and said "I'm gonna talk about all of it on stage now. It's probably going to be a mess". I said "wow". And with that, she went on stage.

I stood in the wings behind a leg of curtain, about 8 feet from her, and watched her tell a stunned audience "hi. I have cancer. Just found out today. I'm going to die soon". What followed was one of the greatest standup performances I ever saw. I can't really describe it but I was crying and laughing and listening like never in my life. Here was this small woman standing alone against death and simply reporting where her mind had been and what had happened and employing her gorgeously acute standup voice to her own death.

The show was an amazing example of what comedy can be. A way to visit your worst fears and laugh at them. Tig took us to a scary place and made us laugh there. Not by distracting us from the terror but by looking right at it and just turning to us and saying "wow. Right?". She proved that everything is funny. And has to be. And she could only do this by giving us her own death as an example. So generous.

After her set, I asked Mark Flanagan, the owner of Largo (great club, by the way) if he recorded the set. Largo is set up for excellent recordings. He said that he did.

A few days later, I wrote Tig and asked her if I could release this set on my site. I wanted people to hear what I saw. What we all saw that night. She agreed. The show is on sale for the same 5 dollars I charge for my stuff. I'm only keeping 1. She gets the other 4. Tig has decided to give some of that to cancer research.

Tig, by the way, has since undergone a double mastectomy. She is doing well. Her doctors say her chances of survival are excellent. So she went there and came back. Her report from the frontlines of life and death are here for you to... Enjoy.
    Please go to my site louisck.com and buy her show. You can buy it HERE.

Thank you. Have a terrific afternoon.

Louis C.K.

Focus: Talk about whatever you want!

2. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The chain supermarket here ran out of Kimchi. What the fuck? I thought I was the only person here buying that stuff, this place is as white bread as it gets.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nothing beats tittie cancer when it comes to hilarious stand up material.....

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love this place. Where else can a letter like Louie's that talks about a woman having both cancer-riddled breasts removed be followed by a post about the lack of Kimchi at a local grocery store?

Though, admittedly, it stays on focus.

5. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So two young boys, about 8 years old rang my doorbell today, and asked if I wanted to buy some salami.

I had a feeling Chris Hanson was hiding behind the hedges, so I declined.

6. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gonna get drunk as hell and watch the Gamecocks stomp the shit outta Florida tomorrow, stuck working all damn day today but at least it's payday.

Somebody just pulled up to the dealer and tried to sell me and the other guys "fresh ribeyes" out of a cooler in the back of a busted up pickup.

Must be door to door meat sales day.

7. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It sounds like there is an Amish barn-raising going on in the office above me and its fucking annoying. Its hard enough to be focused and motivated on a Friday as is. Good news is I already had a productive conference call and churned out a report before 11. If I complete one more task on my list, I'll consider the day a win.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first time I ever smelled Kimchi, I was pissed because I thought someone had been changing a baby's diaper in the men's room at work. Then I realized the smell was coming not only from the break room, but from the tupperware someone was eating out of. That was the first and last time that guy ever brought Kimchi. That shit was banned from our work area THAT DAY. Awful, horrible shit.

"Smells like Bigfoot's dick!"

9. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Not sure if serious...

[​IMG]

10. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Its going to happen again gator.

[​IMG]

11. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My school has a shit load of students from all over the world, and I avoid the room with the microwqve and fridge at all costs. People reheat every smelly, nasty dish they brought with them from their homeland, and it smells like bigfoots dick got leprosy.

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I... have never heard a Taylor Swift song I don't like.

13. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Up until the release of her latest song I wouldn't have judged you too harshly, but seriously? Have you heard her new song? At first I thought it was the new song Avril Lavigne had made after her musical talent had been infected by Chad Kroeger.

14. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
  15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have not heard the newest one. Link?

16. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean since we're all friends here, I'll admit I can listen to a fair number of her songs. All of them seem to involve either a failed relationship, or a successful one that hinges around something to do with her dad, which is kind of odd, but it's not like that's ever stopped me before.

#17 ghettoastronaut, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is... quite Avril-like. I also guarantee it will hit the top 10 on Billboard's Pop and Country charts. Which it shouldn't, because it is very clearly in no way country. But it will be on that chart anyway.

19. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And now it's stuck in my fuckin head. Gotta listen to a better one to get it out.

#19 iczorro, Oct 19, 2012
  20. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to think that they were always making a mistake when they announced it on the radio as being by Taylor Swift. Then I googled it. Then I thought wikipedia was being sarcastic when they quoted all the critical praise the song has accrued. Because holy shit, that song is god-awful and so much worse than anything else she's done and it's on the radio all day long.

Guilty pleasure time!

#20 ghettoastronaut, Oct 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.