Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Wearing underpants in France

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I have never been to France. Always wanted to go to Paris, and one of the reasons was things like Notre Dame. Now that its burned out, it wont be the same once they repair it. It sucks as its always something I've wanted to see.

On the flip side, I thought the Sistine Chapel was cool, but the experience was far from peaceful and the famous painting was much different than I was expecting. Tour guides just shuffled people through and youre not allowed to take pictures, which I understand. The rest of St. Peters was really amazing though. Stonehenge is always a massive waste of time.

But the biggest gimmick of all time is Plymouth Rock. Its literally just a small boulder with a fence around it with a stupid plaque.

Focus: What amazing things are worth seeing in person?

Alt Focus: What is not worth seeing?

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Focus:

The Grand Canyon is still the greatest sight I have seen. Postcards and film do not over-glamorize it at all, it takes the breath away.

Banff. They don’t call it the most beautiful place known to Manff for nothing. Just talk people who know the place first, it gets insanely packed with annoying tourists and you’ll want to avoid that.

Alt-Focus:

Buckingham Palace. Seriously.... the royals choose this obnoxious cement box surrounded by noise over Hampton Court or Windsor Castle? Are they fucking retarded?

#2 Crown Royal, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably, what with all the inbreeding.

Augusta National Golf Course
    Beano's Cabin, Beaver Creek, CO
    Old City of Fez, Morocco
    Columbia River Gorge

Disney World
    Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago
    Any cruise ship

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus:
    Lake Como, Italy. I drove the entire way around it one day, stopping at various spots along the way to eat and just take in the scene. Just an amazing place.

Alt Focus:

Times Square. I don't think any explanation is needed. It's pure garbage.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I second the Grand Canyon. Saw it once in person in 7th grade and then each flight to Vegas I’ve just been Mesmerized. Lots of stuff out West is worth the trip, Devils tower, Monument valley, yellow stone, Arches national park. Basically anything not man made. Conversely all the ghost towns and mining camps were all terrible tourists traps.

Alt focus. LA, Hollywood particularly is all trash. I didn’t go myself when I was in China but I heard repeatedly that the Great Wall was a big let down.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Probably would be more interesting if it was still infested with hookers and drug dealers.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

DiBlasio is trying his best to revert it to is seedy glory.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Grand Canyon is just a hole in the ground. But holy fuck is it an impressive hole in the ground.

Other sites worth seeing:
    • Yosemite Valley. Probably the most beautiful place on earth, although I've heard good things about Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland.
    • Sequoia National Park. It's absolutely staggering how big those trees are. Your brain has trouble comprehending it at first.
    • Denali National Park. Because it sits above permafrost, no roots go deep and therefore there are no tall trees. The result is being able to see vast distances of little more than rock and water and small plants. It's a sense of emptiness that I've never experienced anywhere else.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You see, you probably went during it’s sleeping hours. You have to call ahead and find out what time they feed the rock to see the real action:

1525F984-F87E-4729-8B05-00F7A2CBB57B.jpeg

10. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Niagara Falls - You don't just see, but feel the power of Mother Nature.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Agreed. They’ve sort of turned it into an off-Broadway version of Vegas, but the Falls themselves are still there, and when you go on that fucking boat you’ll soon feel how’ve much of an insect you are to this planet. That is Lake Erie spilling over a cliff.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I also thought Lake Louise and Moraine Lake were letdowns. Not because they arent beautiful, they are. But because visiting them is anything but serene or relaxing. We got to Lake Louise at 6am and there were already 30 people trying to take selfies in front of it. 30 minutes later 3 buses full of Chinese tourists rolled out and the insane picture snapping began. We drove the Jasper Highway and there were equally breathtaking views with little to no people around.

13. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: Last summer I visited The Alhambra in Granada, Spain, and it was one of my favorite places that I have toured. It was beautiful to walk around and cool to learn about some of the history.

I didn't go inside, but the Sagrada Familia church in Barcelona was a sight to behold. I would love to visit when construction on it is finally finished.

14. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yosemite Valley is amazing. The site of Yosemite falls in the spring will change you for life. The Avenue of Giants in Northern California are home to the world's tallest trees. Maybe not quite as large around as the Sequoia tree, but taller.

Hoover dam, I think is impressive. It really is exactly what you think a dam should look like.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The dam itself is incredible. The tour is a goddamn snooze fest. “Oh look, more pipes and damp cement.”

One interesting fact I got from the tour: that dam is built with dead construction workers not unlike that wall in the movie “300”.

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sagrada Familia is fucking insane when it's raining.

Worth it: Space museum at Cape Canaveral. The rest of Florida is...well, Florida, but the rocket museum out there is worth the drive if you're at Disney.
    Worth it: Louvre. Anyone who can just breeze in and out of there has no soul.
    Worth it: the National Mall. Mostly for the Smithsonian, and the gaggle of awesome museums all in a row.
    Worth it: Atlanta Aquarium. Really mesmerizing, to see whale sharks in a tank.
    Worth it: Bali (the north side). Ubud is cool for yogistas, but go north into some of the less trashed areas of the island: black sand beaches, really private villas, and snorkel a shipwreck. Amazing, cheap and a shortage of drunk assholes up there.
    Worth it: Puerto Rico. El Yunque, Old San Juan, Luquillo, Arecibo, Vieques and Culebra. Some of the world's best beaches, cool monuments and history and a fucking rainforest, all without a passport.
    Worth it: Angor Wat. Legit Tomb Raider shit that you can just walk around and get lost in.

Fuck it: MoMA.
    Fuck it: Disney. Exceptions apply if you are below the age of 10.
    Fuck it: most zoo's.
    Fuck it: Tiger Temple, Thailand.

17. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You beat me to it. We've been to DC for vacation twice and I love the Smithsonian. Additionally, the monuments are awe inspiring and somewhat humbling in a way to me.

If you have a chance to be at the WW2 Monument when they bring the vets in with the Honor Flight program, do it. I spent almost an hour just observing them and their reactions. I'd like to have spoke with a couple but to interrupt their moment felt wrong.

18. LongVin

LongVin
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This is more of an event but I'm going to post it anyway. I would say at least once in your life you need to experience Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany.

Between the whole fairgrounds and the atmosphere in the tents it is one of the greatest experiences you can have in your life.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It no doubt doesn’t compare to Germany’s but Kitchener, Ontario has the largest Oktoberfest on this side of the planet. And it’s one hell of a good time if you don’t mind gigantic tents and crowds.

#19 Crown Royal, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  20. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I forgot the fucking small town festivals. Apple Blossom festival in Winchester, VA....Pumpkin festival in Keene, NH....Apple Festival in Hendersonville

Also, anytime you get a chance to get to a BBQ festival, it's fucking WORTH IT.

People watching, stupidly good meats and some awesome local micro-enterprises for sauces, spices, grilling gear, etc.