Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

We had to leave room for the holy spirit.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angel_1756, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Admittedly, this is based on a Buzzfeed article on stupid rules that existed in your school. One of the comments at the bottom was this:

We never had anything that ridiculous in my schools, but we definitely had some strange rules. Backpacks were not allowed to be worn on a single shoulder in high school. In elementary school, one of the school rules was that you weren't allowed to throw acorns at other children. At teachers? Fine. Throwing any other kind of nut? Fine. But acorns at other kids? Fuck that.

Focus: Weird rules from your school days.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I graduated HS in 2004 and "zero tolerance" policies just started becoming a thing and my school readily implemented one. So if you were bullied and got the shit beat out of you, then you got suspended or expelled too because, well, there was a zero tolerance policy on fighting. Well this one kid named James had medical issues when he was young that stunted his growth and he was bullied quite a bit. Well he got in a fight when trying to defend himself and was expelled for punching a kid so hard in the eye that it broke his orbital socket and part of his cheek.

Well his dad happened to be an attorney working for the State's Attorney Office in Connecticut and brought legal hell to the school board and administrators over the policy and the school's failure to protect his son's safety. Not only did they get a sizeable settlement, but the kid's record was expunged completely and the school board eventually "revised" the policy.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I graduated high school in 1986... the only policies we seemed to have were around student parking and smoking. "Zero Tolerance" wasn't even a coined phrase at that point.

We also didn't have Internet, cell phones, or other shit we take for granted now, mind you...

The pendulum has swung too far to the other side now, and it's got to absolutely suck being a student these days; between bullshit cover-my-ass zero tolerance policies that keep school administrators from thinking or applying personal judgement, and 8 hours of retarded homework after school, I genuinely feel for kids.

4. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went to Catholic school, and it was almost like a very bad sterotype. Almost every cliche imaginable was true, as for rules, we were told to leave room for the holy spirit during dances, they would turn on the lights and stop everything. We had to go on a senior retreat if we wanted to graduate, that senior retreat was basically their last attempt to convert the heathens before college. If you had a party and they found out they could suspend you for violating the schools honor code. I almost got expelled because of an article that was written in a school I formerly attended student newspaper, I guess they accused me of slander, that was a really weird series of events.

Aside from typical catholic school bullshit I can't think of any rules that were really outlandish.

My senior year, the implemented uniforms, luckily we were grandfathered out of it. I get bringing in uniforms, but they unknowingly or ignorantly allowed girls to wear this get up. It wasn't a bad thing.

Attached Files:

5. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We didn't have too many weird rules at my high school, but we had some teachers that were completely nuts and/or thought they were special snowflakes because they were 'so sophisticated' they taught at a private school. As a result some would give out completely arbitrary punishments for rules that didn't exist. One of them had a hard on for me and regularly tried to punish me for infractions that never happened. Finally, he tried to give me a three day suspension for loitering during study hall. The two friends with me got a lecture, but no such punishment. When I asked why I was getting suspended for standing around on school property when I didn't even have a class he told me it was because he knew I was doing something suspicious. On a field trip he had made a very awkward joke about Chinese officials shooting me. Now, he launched into some tirade about how I should watch out or I would get shot for sure. Not even kidding. Because he had no basis to give me a suspension it was supposed to take place during exam week where I would show up and sit in his classroom all day when I didn't have exams and then go there between and after exams on the other days. Needless to say I never showed up.

Another teacher sent me to the principal's office and tried to subsequently suspend me for walking about of his classroom. The only problem? I walked out of his classroom before the class even started. I went in to drop my bag off, went to take a piss, got back before class started and he still thought this was grounds for suspension. His argument was that a student should never leave a classroom without explicit approval from the teacher. I have no idea where he came up with that shit. And no, it's not like he specifically asked me not to leave prior to his made up rule either.

The most ridiculous thing I ever saw that teacher do was when he made a mad dash for, and literally dived into an elevator door to stop my friend from taking it. When the automatic sensor went off he slowly rose to his feet with a strained facial expression and acted as if he were forcing the doors open through sheer might. It was fucking hysterical. This was technically against the rules because only disabled students (although the school never let any in) were supposed to take the elevator. He tried to expel my friend over this, probably because we were all laughing our asses off for a good 5 minutes straight.

#5 Kampf Trinker, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I'm from another time period...

We had to leave our guns in our trucks during school.

I'm sure that sounds pretty weird for most of y'all.

At one point my mother tried to enroll me in a private Christian school and that went about as well as you might imagine. As she was talking to the administrator I was thumbing through their ridiculous rule book and came across this little gem: Student must not participate in or listen to rock music.

I was already playing in a garage band at that time and looked at the administrator and said "You've got to be shitting me." Apparently casual swearing and being involved in the devil's music were a huge red flag to the school. My application was denied. Just as well, a few months later, at 17, I got my first apartment. Within a week, five or six girls from the uptight school were skipping and hanging out at my apartment on a regular basis. I didn't even have to go to their silly school to corrupt their charges.

7. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Heh, I graduated in '97. At the high school I attended from my freshman through junior year it wasn't uncommon for students to bring their guns to school and have the shop teacher work on them; he was a gunsmith as a hobby. The rule was that you had to clear it ahead of time with the principal it had to be after school hours that you brought your guns in.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I went to high school in the first half of the 90's, looking back my high school was large, but VERY laid back. The kind of place where you would not get in trouble for doing donuts in the parking lot as long as it was winter. Sixteen-year-old kids packed around the doorways smoking cigarettes. If you wanted to smoke weed or drop acid there was a beautiful wood lot across the street that acted as a safe house. The didn't give a fuck about truancy. Kids with fake ID's went to the strip club one block away at lunch and the shop teachers would be drinking in Pervert's Row with them. Then, teen-drunk, we would come back to school and donate blood. Because we were stupid.

But no wearing hats in class.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually think this is a good idea. The average high schooler's backpack packs (or at least did before the invention of the iPad) 15-30 lbs of weight, and having that weight unevenly distributed day in and day out can do all kinds of damage to the spine, lower back, etc. If kids are stupid enough to one shoulder a backpack because it "looks cool," then they're stupid enough to have the practice banned on their behalf.

10. litwin

litwin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There have been a lot of rules I enforced over the past four years because the faculty needed to be consistent throughout campus. The one's that blew my mind mostly had to deal with our dress code. Students had to wear a green or white school approved collared shirt with khaki or navy pants/shorts. The girls had a few more options with skirts and things like that. The part that I thought was ridiculous was the fact that girls could only have one earring per ear. God forbid if they had two studs in one ear.

11. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

For their own good, eh?

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As I remember our high school had tried miserably to implenet a no backpack in the class policy. It was just not workable on many levels but the notion still atleast excisted when I graduated. Not sure if they ever got otugh on it after I left. I feel for the teachers today with the cell phone thing. God Id be irate if half th class was texting and snapchatting all fucking bell.

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel like you might be in the wrong thread.

Focus: they implemented a cap on the number of times you could go to the bathroom. Twice in a day during classes.

This seems somewhat harmless, except it led to extremely awkward public conversations when students with, uh, urgent needs had to justify their third trip of the day. "Mrs. Z, I'm going to have to projectile shit into your ficus plant if I can't use the bathroom this instant."

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Damn obscure rules taking away from my learnin' abilities.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Children? Yes.

16. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I graduated in 1994 from a small town in Texas. Like Toytoy, I had guns in the truck. I carried a large pocket knife into school every day.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our Latin teacher used to bring several of his rifles to school, which we would shoot - under his "guidance" - on school property, behind the playground, into a sand pile, after school. Some of the elementary kids would dig in the sand pile during recess and pull out mushroomed slugs.

I also found out my senior year, that it was apparently against the rules to jump off the roof of the school, onto Hefty bags full of newspaper.

18. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently things had fully swung into the opposite direction once I'd entered high school in 2004, because I was forbidden from bringing a couple of metal parts to the school shop for experimenting with some heat treating. The reason was the metal parts happened to belong to a .22 rifle, and even though they had nothing to do with the actual firing of the gun (i.e. the buttplate and grip cap) and the gun itself would stay at home, it was a no-no. Not sure if it's a coincidence that idiot principal hasn't stayed at any school for longer than a few years now.

It's also against the rules to climb up snow drifts onto the roof of the school. Lame.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Why do so many dudes from so many places feel the need at some point to jump off the roof of their school? I did it too, I just want to know why.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    My school was 3 stories high. It never even entered my mind to jump off of it.

shs.jpg