Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] UNPLUG DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Mar 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never been a fan of the 1911. For me, one is too many...

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Smack yourself.

I don’t have one personally but have shot my brothers’ and they endure as a gun for a reason. I actually have been thinking of getting a stainless or nickel version. They are not as frequent as tv and movies would have you believe.

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They endure because people don't know any better. There's a reason people don't still drive model T cars as a daily driver.

You can buy a new in box modern Sig or HK that is is safer to operate, holds more ammunition, is more accurate, and more reliable than any 1911 of comparable cost. Or you can spend $1000s more for a 1911 that has had a lot of work and upgrades done, but is still not as accurate, still not as reliable, still holds less rounds, and still not as safe to operate as any Sig or HK.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most modern pistols are based around its design concept . Including sigs and hk.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Don’t nickel/chrome guns get soot stained easily from firing?

I always thought the 1911 was loved because of a straight trigger pull with no pivot. They also were youse guys’ official military sidearm for what, 75 years?

I can see why gun owners would like them.

6. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Back to my original comment...modern cars are based off the design concept of a Model T.

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Most of my affection for 1911's comes purely for sentimental reasons.My dad and I didn't have a whole lot in common, but we both enjoyed guns. One of his prized possessions was his Colt 1911 and yet for all our differences, he allowed me to carry his for several years. So it's something that brings back fond memories of my father.

...and at the same time get me pissed off all over again that he left ALL of his guns to me EXCEPT the 1911. 14 years after the fact and I'm still WTF?ing over that.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I didn't get a 1911....I got something better. I've been haunting Sportsman's Warehouse's web site for months waiting for one of these to pop up. They update their inventory at 12 am PST. I popped in tonight and there it was! I added it and got through check out! (More than once I've been able to add one only to be told it's not available when I tried to pay.) A Serbian AK with wood furniture for (Technically) under $1K in this market? Hell yes! Thankfully I've got 300 or 400 rounds of 7.62 already sitting around,

I'm beyond stoked that I FINALLY got one.

zz.PNG

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was casually perusing some of the gun shopping websites I normally check out and I just cannot get over how there’s literally nothing available. You can still find a couple of AR’s and whatnot. But even then, ammo prices are still insane.
    I used to have an FNX 45 and I miss it and there’s nothing. And the ones on gunbroker are priced way higher than were almost 10 years ago.

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm having the same issue with motorcycles. I think all the vacation/restaurant/bar/concert money not spent in 2020 has been spent on toys. That and supply issues driving the prices up....

What's the best way to get rid of a couple of old .38 revolvers and a couple of old rifles? I've got a handful of guns down here that were basically won in poker games or trade fodder that I would rather be rid of than buy storage for.

Also, in cleaning out the garage, I found 3-4 boxes of 90's era baseball cards. Worth perusing to see if there's anything valuable? Any good way to get rid of them?

I also think the ability to sell on Fb marketplace is kind of game changing in terms of getting to a larger audience. Everyone down here has it on their phone, and it has some distinct advantages over Ebay/Craigslist. It's basically turned into a virtual swap meet down here, and I couldn't be happier to get rid of shit without having to ship it and knowing the name of the buyer pestering me.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Just as long as your not taking your “toy-toys” on a 32nd floor vacation to the Mandalay.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

The only thing I can suggest is the Sportsman's Warehouse page (Make sure you select Exclude out of stock.) They have a big turnover in modern sporting rifles. Find out when the page updates inventory in your time zone and check daily. They don't price gouge....most other places want $1400+ for the AK I just bought. I did see they have the AR I bought a few months ago right now, but the price has gone up $80. It's still a decent little poverty AR for $580 though.

Check for a 1993 Derek Jeter rookie, 1994 ARod rookie, 1992 Jim Thome rookie,1992 Mariano Rivera rookie , 1991 Chipper Jones rookie, or 1997 David Ortiz rookie. I think all the cards were in multiple sets, which set they're from will determine their value. Other than those few cards, there's noting of real value from the 90's sets.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

1990/1991 over-saturated the sports card industry and ruined it forever. It hit an insane peak in popularity then one day in 1992 (and I do mean ONE DAY) fizzled in value.

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seems like a lot of things. Rear tires for my Corvette are back ordered until end of April. Almost two months for a set of tires?! Insane

15. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just bought a used 2006 Porsche Cayenne pretty much sight unseen beyond seeing the service history for it and I watched the movie Trunkfish.

I only have regrets about one of these things.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Is it rude for neighbor kids to be skateboarding on your driveway and area up close to your house? I don't want to be the grouchy neighbor and wonder if I'm being over sensitive.

17. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you didn’t want that to happen then you shouldn’t have bought a home on 1/8 of an acre in suburbia.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'll have you know it's almost a whole 1/4 acre!

19. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not at all. Tell them to get lost.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If they fall on your property, you may be held liable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.