Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] TOKYO 2020/2021 OLYMPICS [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I really wonder what the hell is wrong with people some times.

Zero empathy… and full on public attack, with zero shame.

I’m hating people more and more as I get older.

2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I personally look forward to more athletes of various backgrounds and identities making decisions like this, if only to have more data to analyze as far as media reactions.

3. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are very few sports in which if you fail to execute to a high degree you could possibly have a grave injury or die. I put gymnastics in that catagory. Watch what Simone Biles is doing and think to yourself, "what if she is not concentrating 100% on doing that backflip on a balance beam." It is her decision only and I certainly have no right to judge it in any way.

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking her for pulling out (giggity) just knocking everyone calling her a hero. But, I stand by my comment that if a male athlete pulled out, the general reaction would've been different.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I haven’t exactly heard the commentary on her being framed as, “She’s a hero because she’s prioritizing a mental health issue and because she’s black.”

I guess I don’t get negative reactions to it. I don’t think it would have been that different if Michael Phelps quit for the same reason. I think a lot of the media is more playing it extra safe in terms of their reaction because they were a large component of the public pressure put on her.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

She won me over after I saw that clip of her throwing the first pitch at a baseball game awhile back. She seems super sweet and charming.

I know I personally have buckled under much less stress and scrutiny than she is under. If she has made a determination to take a break due to mental health, she should be able to do so without judgment and with a lot of sympathy. Everyone is so quick to slap a label on each other. Hero or quitter? Maybe just human, trying to do the best she can.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I agree with you.

8. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I'll throw out there that if anyone thinks they are more disappointed than she is with her decision they are fucking nuts. I cannot imagine her thought process in making the decision. She is the one that has worked her ass off for literally her entire life. I don't care if it was for her first medal or her 10th. It had to be brutal and now the outcry from the public and media...man fuck that and fuck you.

9. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sure that they're also desperate not to repeat the Naomi Osaka fiasco. There is very little that the media fears more than Twitter outrage.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Some chick passed me with a tattoo of Texas around her belly button. I think that’s enough RV park for the day.

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Well, Clay Travis thinks you’re a pussy for not hating her. He also thinks you’re a pussy for thinking COVID is dangerous, so he can be staked down for the crows eat his eyes out for all I care.

#152 Crown Royal, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  13. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be clear, I’m not saying that I’ve seen that or that it’s what is being said. And I’m not saying that’s what I believe, or disagree with, or whatever. My opinion is in the GTE camp.
    I just didn’t wanna come in and be like “I bet if it was (insert athlete with different race/identity/upbringing/etc) people wouldn’t be so quick to call them a hero!”
    I just meant that, with the focus being on mental health, I’m interested to see the reaction to other situations, when it happens. Because it probably will.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anybody else see, I think it was Aly Raisman, that was talking about how they should let one ordinary person in the heats or prelims of the Olympic events, just to show how fucking high level these athletes are? Like, you think Katie Ledecky dominates against other Olympians? You should see me swim. The physical training is only part of it. The mental fortitude it takes for that level is incredible. If she didn't think she had it that day or for these games, she definitely needs to protect herself from harm.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I would totally be into watching some middle-aged, overweight man compete with these insanely athletic olympians.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I volunteer for the pentathlon. I can shoot, ride horses, run and swim just well enough to look stupid. Also I’m pretty sure I can learn how to sword fight.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fixed that for you.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

tell me you wouldn’t watch that though

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

They changed it to a sextathalon and added ladder climbing as an event. Best of luck.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Guess which one I’m faster at fucking up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.