Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] THANKSGIVING 2018 [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you gave me 5 chances, I'd have never come up with "AHB-sih-dee," which is how it's pronounced.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's the joke.

3. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As that kid grows up, the pronunciation will evolve into “You’re fuckin’ with me, right?”

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Isn't it illegal in some countries to give your kids shitty names? I remember reading somewhere, I think it was here? that in a place like New Zealand or Australia I think it was every name went to a review panel as it was considered child endangerment to give them a name like "Satan" or "Spiderman" or "Abcde."

And since I work in education and handle a lot of our interviews, I come across an absolute shit-ton of horrible names.

One of the more memorable was a girl who applied who's name was a type (not brand) of liquor. It was as bold as a face tattoo, and I honestly felt bad for her.

5. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What do y'all think they should do to the employee?

Yeah, that name is dumber than Donald Trump huffing spray paint, but I think he should get his ass canned for it.

You try just LOOKING at an airport employee the wrong way, and see what happens to you. But they get to do this shit?
    Fuck that.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I agree... they should be canned. I can see a reprimand for only doing a double-take and laughing at the name (because it is really fucking hilariously stupid), but sharing that shit on Social Media crosses a huge line.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Assuming that everything reported is true, he should get fired for it in my opinion. Inappropriate conduct, and posting it on social media is a breach of privacy regardless of how fucking stupid those parents are for giving the kiddo that name.

Regarding what you said about airport employees, I’ve never really had a problem with them, and I travel fairly frequently. Treat them with the same level of respect you want to be treated with. Their jobs are mind numbing boring and they get treated like shit all day, so it helps to have a little sympathy. No kid grows up saying they wanna be a TSA agent

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've had huge differences. There are definitely some employees who just don't give a FUCK about you or your travel day, and will go on break half-way through their discussions with you. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Air Canada). I've found a disproportionate number of shitty employees on the Air Canada front, so as a result I refuse to fly with them any more.

There are also really solid and helpful employees like I experienced last weekend when my flight was delayed 6 hours.

It was a fun one... we were on board, pushed back, being de-iced, when a big hunk of snow/ice fell into the intake of the tail-mounted Aux Power Unit. Power went off immediately, buzzers/alarms went off, and there was a long pause. We were then pushed back to the gate, where we were plugged back into shore power. Mechanics came on board and determined that we could fly without the APU, but it had to be logged/documented, and that took an hour. Finally, mechanics are gone, doors closed, we're pushed back, and they start the ground (air) start of the main engines. Didn't work. They tried for 20 minutes but could not coax the mains to fire up. It was like trying to start an old '60s pickup with a dead/dying battery. So we get pushed back to the gate, deplaned, and sent to another gate across the terminal. They bring out a new aircraft from the maintenance hangar (luckily it was Calgary where they do a ton of maintenance so had a plane available). They spend another 2 hours inspecting and prepping that flight.

All through it the WestJet gate personnel were very kind, helpful, empathic, and did a great job... even if the $15 voucher they gave us was not valid for alcohol.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree. I’ve flown air canada maybe a handful of times, but and I don’t remember it being anything special.

I try to fly Southwest as much as I can. It’s usually one of the cheapest, and even if it isn’t, I’ll pay extra for the consistently great experience I always receive flying with them.

10. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And WestJet the flight attendants were nice and were funny. Every time I have flown I always remember laughing at the safety thing they do before they take off.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Are substitute teachers normally expected to teach? Cuz today was fun...

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

In theory it's supposed to be a seamless transition and the parents will never know the normal teacher was even out. At least, that's the standard I train to. Now in practice, especially in public schools (at least in this area) where the class sizes can get massive and the burnout rate for even salaried teachers is around 3.5 years, the substitute teacher ends up being a warm body for the day just hoping no one ends up in the emergency room.

13. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a friend who started his teaching career as a full time substitute. He floated around the school covering for people who called in, and is a full time teacher now. Maybe he was expected to teach but most of the subs I know are basically just a token adult in a room.

14. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whenever my wife has to get a sub to cover she doesn’t play the “movie day” shit, her performance is tied to a bonus at the end of the year here in NC and that helps with the shitty pay.

She has a list of two or three that she knows actually teach, two of them are retired teachers from the same district she teaches in.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.