Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] THANKSGIVING 2018 [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There’s not a religion out there that hasn’t been tainted by humanity. Humans are imperfect so the more influence they have in religion, the more bastardized it will become.

That doesn’t mean theology can’t have a positive influence on people. You just need people who aren’t indoctrinated.

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As I prepare the bird today, I can’t help but remember....

Did someone here post that their mom made stuffing out of White Castle/crystal sliders?

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

You're thinking of this

4. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From a restaurant here in Austin:

[​IMG]

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Spiced cider and whiskey

Happy Thanksgiving idiots

C417F607-EE0F-49D0-B46F-2850E231C020.jpeg

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Smoked my turkey on my pellet grill . Alright results still very disappointed in the smoke level of these. Black Friday mistake from last year.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Horray for talking politics at thanksgiving!!

My mother decided she had all the right answers to fix our political system and then asked everyone if they would vote for her if she ran for president.

Apparently answering "are you serious? no way in hell, you'd be horrible" was not an acceptable response. Whoops!

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had an opposite discussion. Someone floated the idea of me running for office and saying they'd vote for me. My response was "Do you have any idea how fucking unelectable I am?"

My posts on this forum alone would crush a campaign for city dog-walker.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This guy has had the greatest accidental second act ever. It came from zero effort on his part.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

If you don't like heights, you probably shouldn't watch this:

[

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I guarantee you he hates that song with the burning passion of a thousand hells. Have you ever noticed how many of your favorite songs that bands play different over the years? It's because they grow to hate the song and change it up, just to make it something, anything different.

I've written songs that I've been incredibly proud of, but somewhere around the thousandth time of playing them I was absolutely sick of them and started changing them up just to keep myself interested. It was the same with covers we did, I had to change them up after awhile instead of playing just like the record...it would still be recognizable, but good God does it get boring playing the exact same thing over and over and over.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The Beatles are great examples of this. After a while, they got so bored of doing the same shit over and over, and they realized people would like whatever they put out. John and Paul would get together for writing sessions whenever one of them wanted something extravagant. John was once quoted as saying "today we're going to write me a swimming pool."

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

That's completely different. That's someone thinking "I can shit on toast and some dumb ass will order it for breakfast."

I'm talking about playing/performing the same thing over and over again. Even if no one buys it, it gets old.

14. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, yes it does.

The band I've been playing in for over 10 years has been playing the same set list for nearly as long. Sometimes in the exact same order. Many of them sings I hate with a passion.

We only play once in a while. I can't imagine 250-300 nights a year.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If I had the choice, I’d rather sing the same song everyday rather than reload the same machine everyday. I’ll gladly take the kind of boredom that also doesn’t give you arthritis.

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See I am not so sure about this. No matter what you do if you do the same thing that many times a year I am sure you would hate it too after a while.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Being repetitive eventually drives everyone insane. But so does being an artist. Just look at Hitler: ever seen his artwork? He sucked. Lousy-ass charcoal drawings of German Shepperds (like, cliche, y’know?) and he couldn’t paint a happy tree if he had the cold steel of a Luger pressed to the back of his head. His frustration towards being a struggling artist finally pushed him into wiping out one fifth of Poland.

18. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There has to be a happy balance. Of course you have to play the stuff people wanna hear or expect from you. But on the other hand, as a creative person you thrive off of creating. When that starts to dry up, and you get locked into that rut, it starts to suck the life out of everything.

And people pick up on that pretty quick.

I'd say that's the same for all creative endeavors, not just music.

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Imagine being the person who created/invented that machine who is now relegated to reloading the machine every day.

Spot on. Musicians, artists, writers are creative people and if you're forced to do the same thing over and over and over again, you're not creating, you're parroting. That tends to lead to complacency and mediocrity.

It's awesome when people dig what you create, but after so many times of repeating it verbatim you start to hate it. Creating something new out of the ether is great, rehashing it constantly is boring.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Funny you say that, I actually have met him. He came to our plant while it was still a start-up to observe his invention in action for a couple weeks. He was an old retired Japanese guy, Hasui-san. He barely spoke English (half the time he would just look at you, give a thumbs up and say “No problem!” For no reason) but he’s a brilliant mechanical engineer. Every day he would come out Into the plant, flip open a soft lawn chair on the concrete floor and sit there for eight hours, watching the machine run while drinking one of those monstrous Arizona ice teas.

He was driving a Panamera when he arrived so I assume he’s doing pretty alright in the dollary-doo department. But he has a funny way of spending his retirement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.