Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] TEQUILA DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My money still says it doesn't amount to shit except some minorly flooded ghetto neighborhoods.
    No wind damage.

I've been watching this "hurricane threat!" shit for thirty years.
    Big hurricanes don't hit the Valley, for the same reason why the Valley is dry: geography.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

oh really? Geography? I thought it was so dry because of you

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

still thinking y’all are gonna stay dry? If the over/under was at 6 inches of rain in the RGV, I’d take the over

4. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, we're definitely going to get some rain, but that's going to be it.

A few tree branches that were going to fall anyway will get knocked down, a few poorly constructed houses might lose their roofs, and of course lots of car accidents because people in the Valley can't drive in the rain.
    Likely flooding in some areas that always flood.

Speaking of which, I picked up everything important off the floor at my shop in anticipation of the mud bath it's about to get; I wonder how bad the cleanup is going to be this year.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

fixed that for ya

6. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey now, not everyone in Texas is a terrible driver; they generally get better the further away from Mexico you get.

My brother was an interstate trucker for years, and he told me that the best drivers he'd ever seen (on average) were in the DFW area.

If any of y'all are wondering how the actual storm pattern is down here, this is the local interactive radar:

https://www.krgv.com/interactive-radar/

7. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

After that last roadtrip, I vowed to never again drive through a Texas city. Fuck Dallas, fuck Houston, fuck em alllll. I will either stroke out or die in a car accident so we're just gonna avoid all that.

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're soft.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

we were on the beach right next to bob hall pier a few weeks ago. Now part of it is already gone. Where I parked my truck on the beach is already so covered by water it would likely be over the roof. And high tide is still a few hours away.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Texas drivers are the worst. They are fast and angry and aggressive and will run you off the road while downing a big chug and flip you off as they pass your smoking car in the ditch.

There are twelve million exits and mergers on the interstate systems that you must use to get across town and you'll be run off the road if you don't know where you're going. There is no time to navigate against the speed and volume of traffic and Google maps can't keep up because the exits are so close together and/or newly constructed.

Fuck that shit. I like to be alive. I will add 6hrs my roadtrip if it means avoiding big cities in Texas.

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And?

In all seriousness, I can't imagine being a new driver in this town. The psychopathy on our streets is unrivaled anywhere else in the US.

13. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was nervous about my first driving experience in Boston, but it wasn’t bad - everybody drives equally aggressively and if you keep up there’s a fast-paced order to it all.

Nashville blows complete ass. Everybody is a transplant from somewhere else, and they’ve all decided that their way of driving must surely be the norm.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

So the great part about all the exits is that if you miss your exit, you can take the next one, turn around, and get back on track while only taking less than a minute off your drive. Also, the highways, generally speaking, pick a fucking direction and stay with it. You can largely navigate by knowing the general direction you're going and getting on a road that goes that way. In Florida for example, you'll be following the coast line, then next minute, bam!, highway is taking you straight to the middle of the state and you're its bitch now. Also, if you miss your exit there, well I hope you don't have an emergency, because it takes about 45 minutes and three different traffic apps to get back on track.

Also, as long as you stay going the speed of traffic, which is generally 10-15 mph over the posted speed limit, then cops will completely ignore you.

Now, throw any type of weather change to the mix such as even the slightest amount of rain, or god forbid even the threat of ice, and people go from knowing how to drive, to acting like they're playing bumper cars while on several different uppers at the same time.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Thanks for the driving tips, bro.

16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's your problem right there; you're using a navigation system.

Whenever we travel, JJ and I always have a little dispute over navigation (I'm always driving); she wants to use some navigational app, and I want to use a paper map, AS MY DAD TAUGHT ME, AND HAS WORKED FOR ME FOR THE PAST 25 YEARS.

Her way means that we get weird directions (on several occasions we have been led around in circles), or directions that come too late.

My way means that periodically we have to pull over and check the map.
    BUT THAT TAKES TOO MUCH TIME, at least according to her.

But if you are just trying to get THROUGH a city using the interstate, it shouldn't be too difficult; just remember which direction you're going, and stick with that.

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Florida has an interesting highway system where the main highways run north and south. You decide which one to use depending on how far east or west you are going. The general rule is the farther south you head, the more dangerous the ride gets.
    [​IMG]

18. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS.

Jungle Julia and my dad had this attitude that if you miss an exit, it's the end of the world.

My response:

"It's a car, not a train.We can turn around."

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I felt that in my soul. The drive from Tampa to the Sarasota area isn't too bad, but going further south than that is pure hell. My asshole closes up on the seat like how a shark has that membrane that covers its eyes before it bites prey.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Our issue was that we were stopping in both Dallas and in Houston. passing through is pretty easy since they have big loops of interstates that travel around the larger cities.

I will never use hotwire for booking hotels again. We booked a shitty hotel in the worst part of downtown Dallas that we arrived to at night in the dark. I think there were prostitutes with johns walking up and down the halls and the room smelled strongly of mold with an overlay of fruity air freshener. Hotwire also has issues if you're traveling with pets but that's a whole other story. Expedia or direct calling is always better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.