Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] SUPERB OWL 2021 [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Feb 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Having been behind routing of shipped packages from a major online retailer, I can give you a little insight into why things are the way they are.

1. A lot has to do with UPS / FedEx contracts. Depending on the size of the business, you get certain rates for certain sized packages and certain weighted packages. A place like Amazon has amazing rates and can pretty much do whatever they want with shipping because they pay pennies for it. It actually sometimes costs more for the box the items are shipping in then actually shipping the items.

2. Each distribution center, depending on where it's located is assigned a certain region based on their internal metrics. A distribution center in lets say PA most likely is set up to deliver in a range where UPS can get it to the customer in under 2 business days from ship date. If that center has 1 of your items, but not the other, they'll 1000% split ship your order even though it would make more sense from a shipping stand point to have the DC in Virginia send out both items. There's also some DC's in certain areas that only handle certain parts of the business. For instance, the Upstate NY DC might only handle larger home items while the one in Ohio only handles clothing and shoes.

3. Internal metrics for companies sometimes determines ship order and fulfillment. Because Amazon basically shit all over every company by offering same day shipping, everyone has been chasing them trying to push their delivery times faster and faster. One of the metrics I had to work around was if something was ordered by 1 pm that day, it had to ship by 6pm that day. This meant if we could fulfill 1 part of the order, but not the other because of time constraints, we'd float the order back into the general online order queue and hope another building could take the order. We'd purposely break up the shipping to make it look like we were shipping the item faster then we originally promised.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I've seen a few similar ones as well. It seems like people are making the colossal mistake of thinking FWD will help you on ice.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The real cold weather comes Monday. It will be nothing but multi car pileups. They are expecting temps to dip into the teens here which happens like never. The drivers here are already world class dipshits. They don’t like slowing down at the elevated on-ramps which sends them into the walls when they ice over. There won’t be enough first responders.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s all about the wheels, bro. That and having the “soft touch” for winter driving— you simply cannot be in a hurry in the winter.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My old 90 ford taurus with a cast iron v6 with good winter tires was the best in snow i have ever driven. I could go everywhere, i could start on a slippery 11% grade hill and make it to the top.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Me, drifting through every corner under WOT, would like to disagree with you.

Winter is the PERFECT time to drive in anger, as long as you have the skills to not hit shit.

It's the other morons on the road that I'm worried about.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I loved and hated driving in lots of snow. I loved when there wasn't people around and i could have fun, i hated pretty much everyone else on the road.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’m talking to the noobs. I now have Full Speed On Dirt Roads skills thanks to years of driving to Woodstock and St. Thomas for work. Back roads have many practical uses that don’t involve drunk driving, the biggest being a road all to yourself as long as you know how to control a car.

Every time we get a “first snowfall” here I am white-knuckling at how slow and scared people get. What country are you living in?

10. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had a road back where I grew up called the Narrows. Six or seven miles of constant curves. When it would REALLY snow, and they plowed it, you could drive like an idiot and all the piled up snow on the sides of the road were like bowling alley bumpers.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some of the footage is hard to watch.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Saw that today and laughed my ass off.

The best part is it looks like the dog is loving the shit out of it. And it wasn’t his first time doing it.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There is no way that was a first time. The way he leaps from the stairs you can tell this was a learned skill.

Dogs just plain do that stuff.

14. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lots of other animals enjoy playing in ice/snow.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fuck no.

The long term retirement plan is to buy a piece of land in BC between mountains and rivers/lakes, build a pad onto it, with septic, park the Airstream there, and then (watch other people) build a modest log cabin with a big fucking shop behind it.

The goal is to then hunt, fish, and fuck around in the shop until I die, with other "fun" sprinkled in between.

Until then, I've only put in an order for the Airstream, Starlink, and I go in to the dealer tomorrow to sign the paperwork for a new diesel pickup and get a trade-in value for my current pickup.

Other than that, a nice bottle of champagne and a nice guitar I've lusted after for decades is pretty well the extent of it. That, and keeping my head down and continuing to work until everything vests.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

But tonight, I'm just starting to realize what a bad idea it was for me to do as much work on my home office reno as I did. Painting ceilings is hard on the back... so it looks like I now have to figure out some means of muscle relaxation and pain relief. Oh whatever will I do?

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And red paint. I love dark red paint in my office... but if any paint "expert" at the Home Despot tells you that "oh sure, red paint is WAY easier to apply now... you can do it in a single coat and it'll come out perfect, no primer required!", call them a liar to their face.

But it'll be worth it. Dark red painted lower walls and ceiling, with lots of walnut, mahogany, and curly maple for the top of the walls.

It'll be worth the work. I just keep saying that to myself... it'll be worth all the work.

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    What did you get?

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

2021 Ram 3500 HD with the 6.7 Cummings. It'll be the last truck I ever buy, I'm sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.