Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] SUPERB OWL 2021 [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Feb 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Is that the dually?

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No, not the dually... no need for it as I never plan on towing a gooseneck...
    I just wanted the torque, the jake brakes, the 1k lbs of torque...

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Damn, that is some serious torque. I had no idea they were putting down numbers like that. When are you going toy Porsche shopping?

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha. Not for a year or two, at least. I only have so much driveway space right now.

I might get rid of my Mom's POS grocery getter and upgrade it to a Cayenne though... we'll see.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

6. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Buy quality DEF fluid, as in the newest you can find, don’t store it in sunlight.

That engine will last you a lifetime.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep. Had one years ago to tow the old race car around and regretted selling it. It’s a beast.

8. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I find myself in need of some tires chains. What might some of you recommend?

We're stuck in this cabin in the middle of 3 days of freezing rain with an icy 20ish% grade between me and civilization. I need something to get down this mountain if an emergency comes up in the future.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

sled

10. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Check your owners manual to make sure your vehicle can take chains. According to mine, my 2011 Ram can't take chains due to clearance issues.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This was from that same pileup posted earlier, but I don't think anybody posted the last part yet. The dude in the pickup truck going over the side and landing on all four wheels. That's bananas.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... that whole fucking thing is one big smoke show. It really boggles my mind how people can be that stupid.

Never mind "professional" drivers driving semis. That FedEx truck FUCKED SOME SHIT UP.

Insane.

And I want to see more.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The ones I really enjoy watching are the ice-covered streets on a hill, where everything is going in super slow motion, and you KNOW what's coming, as does everyone else, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Well, those, and ice fishing funnies.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

yesterday I went to lowes to get some host spigot covers and pipe insulation. I was going 35 on the freeway, because ice. Maybe half the cars were doing the same as me, many with their hazards on. The other half were.... suicidal? Still going 75-80 mph. I saw a lot off in ditches. No accidents I was aware of, but I wasn't exactly keeping close watch on anything but directly in front, behind, and immediately around me.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The thing that I find really interesting is that trucks/cars falling through thin lake ice is such a common occurance, that just about every big lake has a company that specializes in their recovery... with specialty gear.

The previous video has all sorts of winches/cranes/barges/etc, to do just that.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In winter I had smaller and thinner tires on my truck so that I could safely run some 1/4" claw chains. Old school chain links, not the cable chains.

As mentioned, I bought them with the tires/wheels to ensure proper clearance, etc.

Generally speaking, in winter, you want a tall and thin tire so that it can get down through the snow to the road to get traction. All the guys with big fat mud bogging tires are fucked in the snow, because the tires are "floating" on the snow.

These are similar to what I had on my old Ram: https://www.canadianchains.ca/V-Bar-Triple-Link-Tire-Chains_p_46.html

You also have to be careful about what the road surface is, and what you're allowed to run. I had those in my truck for emergencies and when I was off the main roads, but no way in hell would I be allowed to run them on any highway or city street... major fines. Even light impact cable chains were a no-no.

But I'll tell you... put those claw chains on, 4 wheel drive, turn off traction control, and fucking give-er, and it was a beast. Snow flying everywhere and it would claw you out of just about anything.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The truck at 7 minutes is a real drama... between watching them try to pull it out, to... well... the whole this is one big episode of "here, hold my beer"

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We are finally getting a buildup of snow since last night. It has snowed 2 other times this season but melted off.

Really hope el hubs gets to transfer to that wfh position. Won't help him out today of course but this snow makes me think of all the positives.

19. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never put chains on. I've never driven in the snow. I haven't been to the snow in 21 years. And I'm ok with that.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I am learning to enjoy snow in moderation. I don't know if I could do a full season Canadian blizzard though. It's pretty but a lot of work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.