Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] READ TOLKIEN DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Mar 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But that work resumes the next day. The cancelled show never happens.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im sure the companies have steep cancellation fees. Not like he is going to stiff them on the bill. Out of town concert goers does suck. Hourly workers get shafted too I’d assume.

My friends all planned their weddings around not being in football or March madness. Hell my college basketball fanatic friend planned his bachelor party around Vegas and the NIT, too cheap to spring for the next week.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That they do, and there are also huge cancellation insurance policies, etc.

The point is, it's a bit more involved than just waking up one morning sick and tired and texting in sick. It impacts a lot of people, in many different ways, and the fact that he prioritizes watching some stupid game over that commitment he made to all those other people just tells me he's a piece of shit of a person.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See I didn’t grow up in a sports fanatic household so it’s foreign to me but I know people whose whole concept of family bonding revolves around sports and team fandom. It’s far from a trivial thing. The stars aligning like this makes it far from just some stupid game to people like this. I think it is douchey but I understand where he’s coming from. He’s caught enough flak that he’ll probably put on a free concert or two to make up for it. Concerts get cancelled and rescheduled all the time. Shitbird musicians checking in rehab for “exhaustion” and so on.

5. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm just saying, sometimes, actually most of the time, the things outside of work, the things you actually value in life and grew up with, matter more than work. I don't think there's an exception to that, not even fame and fortune.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I cannot relate to thinking that a sports game of some sort, regardless of how important, takes precedence over something that impacts so many other people.

It's not his kid's birth, or a wedding/funeral for a close family member, or something personal for his family, it's a fucking college game he wants to go watch live.

Put in that same position, I personally wouldn't even consider doing it... I guess I respect other people more that he does.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a really crappy thing to do and seems out of character for the little bit I know about Eric Church. Maybe it's an April Fool joke.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

He blew off a concert he was performing at to go a college basketball game between two schools, neither of which he attended. I just can’t imagine caring about sports that much.

9. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The thing is that he isn't going to face any consequences for doing it. Given the nature of his fanbase, "repping the home team" could very well end up endearing him to more of them than cancelling the show pisses off. The worst he's going to see from this is some angry tweets and his agent being irritated with him for a while.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or, one of the Union guys who missed part of a paycheck drops a speaker on his head.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Well, that's way out of character for the Teamsters I've worked with. Not.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think to a lot of people sports games like this is as important to the family as a wedding. You play it up like it’s a mid season division 3 game but to these particular fans it’s up there with the Redsox breaking the curse in terms of importance. Ken burns had a whole segment on people visiting their parents graves after the redsox win in his 10 year Baseball update.

My buddy, who rearranged his bachelor party around basketball, writes a yearly blog around the anniversary of his father’s death and how much it meant to him that his dad passed the love for the sport (and Bearcats in particular) on to him and how he’s carrying on and taking his two kids to games today. I don’t know anything about Eric Church but I do know people care deeply about this stuff in this regard and if his family is one of those then I can understand where he’s coming from. Not sports but my family bonded over guns, hunting, and dirt bikes I get the passion people will have with sports in a family tradition sense.

13. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nope.

I understand that many families feel this strongly about these things. Which is why they schedule things around it. Hell, I married into one. We made sure we weren’t getting married on a Saturday in the fall.

I grew up in rural PA, and aside from Penn State gear, there were kids wearing Duke gear, and UNC gear.
    The fact that Duke and UNC have very solid basketball teams is not fresh news.

So if it is that important to you and your family - do what these other families do, and don’t schedule things during a time of year when your favorite team (and their most hated rival) will likely to be vying for a championship.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I went to UConn. Both the men’s and women’s teams have been in the Final Four and Championship game a ton. It’s still not that important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.