Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] READ TOLKIEN DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Mar 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

In San Antonio, it’s hard to find people who are that upset. Maybe those who flew in and got hotels and such, but not locals. We’re all die hard spurs (nba) fans and would do the same. It’s like, yeah that sucks, but also we could see it

2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can’t agree with it. Not three days before a concert, by a national artist. I don’t give a shit how diehard of a fan you are, that’s a real shitty thing to do.
    And to try and spin it as “if you are upset about this then you’re pretty much insulting my family” is just lame.

Sometimes it’s okay to look at both sides of an issue, and pick one side. Fuck Eric Church, his music sucks and he’s an asshole.
    The only thing I’ll concede is that he didn’t lie about it.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Starting the new Chili Peppers album. Will report back.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Steve Vai just dropped his new Hydra video... confirmed, dude is an alien.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Flashy intro to what the Hyrda is. 15 years in development with the engineers at Ibanez. He has a much long video on his channel discussing it.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's so badass. It's not just that he gets to show off his incredible chops, that's a cool song. I was like, why aren't there frets on the bottom half of the upper guitar neck? And, then he did that funky little sitar riff. Very cool.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... when I first saw him reveal it, I was thinking it was just a gimmick... something to hang on the wall and laugh at.

Then the dude actually makes an incredibly complex, really good song that would require multiple recordings of multiple tracks for mere mortals to pull off, a one-take for him and this thing. I mean, if you just listened to the song without watching him play it, I can easily pick out 5 or 6 distinct tracks that he's playing all at once. (Ignoring the backing drum tracks, of course).

Insane.

Again, he's not human.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

….and to think Satriani gets to say “I taught him how to play. And Kirk Hammet.”

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not bad.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Vai loves talking about having Joe as a teacher. "He was a bastard! He'd say go and learn all the notes on the neck, and me being the lazy Italian kid that I was, I'd not do the work and try and fake it... but he caught on in a few seconds, and cancelled the lesson. Don't come back until you've done the work. He taught me early on that there was hard work involved, and that paid off huge."

He also said that there's no better ear in music than Satriani's.

It's an incredible bromance that is fun to watch.

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The more I think about it, the more I don't blame him. I'd never go to an Eric Church concert, but I understand what he's thinking.

This is a huge game, Coach K's last final four. It's one of the biggest rivalries in college sports. Last time they faced off, Carolina upset Duke. Every Carolina fan is praying they can do it again and go on to a national title game. Every Duke fan is praying for one more title shot, and one last W against the tarheels. Do you know how many other people from the SE would call in sick for this game if work interfered with it? There will be business owners shutting down so they can watch it.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Dude made a commitment to tens of thousands of people and businesses that put in a shit-ton of work to get ready for that concert... either working it, supplying it, or attending it.

He cancelled for purely selfish reasons.

Fuck him, it's a piece of shit thing to do.

13. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, he was thinking “fuck my fans, go tarheels.”

As a musician who has toured, although not nearly on the same scale - I try to put myself in that position. What if the Red Sox hadn’t won the World Series, and 2018 was their first chance? 100 years exactly from their last championship, and they make it to Game 7, do or die. And damnit, I have a show that night.

I’d do the fucking show because it’s my fucking job. Hell, I might have a great rapport with my fans and have the big screens playing the game and make comments about it during the song breaks. But I’d do the fucking show.

If you’re that much of a fan, don’t schedule shows during the postseason - or at the very least, the last weeks of it. Just in case.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I used to work at Sarah McLachlan's record label (Nettwerk, hence my username of Nettdata).

I was involved in the logistical planning for her tours, including Lilith Fair.
    I also toured and played as a musician on those tours.

Most people have no fucking clue just how much work goes into setting up a show on that scale.

It's insane.

For him to blow it off for a game? Insanely disrespectful to those that have already put in a ton of work for that show to happen, never mind the huge inconvenience to the fans.

So yeah, fuck that guy.

15. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eric Church? Never heard of her

16. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Meh, I think y'all are being too hard on the guy. @Nettdata and @NatCH , would you say your work is important, people and businesses depend on you completing it? Would you say you've called in for less reason at some point?

I know I have, and sometimes I was working on $100,000,000 worth of multifamily residence and commercial development. Work that absolutely would halt all construction, permitting and subcontractor work on these sites.

17. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't read the specifics of what he did to try to mitigate people's losses from this, but if he was going to pull this at least say double their refund and immediately announce the new show that your refunded tickets will be honored at. I get that his folks probably didn't think about the Final Four scheduling shows, but if you're that big of a dire hard UNC fan, maybe you shift things around once they make the tournament instead of cancelling 3 days before.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not a single person at my work has signed up and paid money to watch ME perform. I have not rented a stadium for the event, nor had hundreds of man hours in logistics worked on for the event. I'm just a cog in the corporate wheel, so if I call out it's barely noticed, never mind impacting people.

To compare the two scenarios is pretty unreasonable, if you ask me.

He's not just a Joe Schmoe that is calling in sick from stocking shelves at a grocery store, he is the main focal point for an entire evening's event that impacts tens of thousands of people if he doesn't show up.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Case in point, last time I called out sick it didn't make the news.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.