Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

WDT NSFW 2/27/15 - My mailman is brain dead

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Your wife was a pleasure to shoot with, she really took direction well

So last night me and my colleague were hosting a goalie clinic. At the end of a clinic we had a shootout. The kids ranged in age from 13-6. Being decent human beings we took it easy on the little kids. One of the kids, Derrick is about 9 and was annoyed with the fact that I was taking it easy on the 7 year old. When I was coming down to shoot on this kid I could hear him yelling, "Stop taking it easy, your shooting so easy.." Naturally this was annoying. Unfortunately for Derrick he was also standing close to the net.

So I did what any decent person would do and instead of shooting on the 7 year old, I pulled my shot and hit him in the gut. He let out an audible ugh sound when it hit him. Fortunately, Derrick learned his lesson and stopped complaining.

I'm sure his mom was pissed but whatever, the kid needed to learn to stop complaining.

2. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welp, my snowmobile adventure was about to finish perfectly and then 10 km from returning it to the rental place, I put the darn thing sideways into a creek. People stopped and took pictures it was so funny. Somehow there was no damage to the sled and the guys from the rental shop were pretty darn nice about the whole thing, not to mention the fact that I was entirely unhurt.

So tonight I think I'll drink to the golden horseshoe that has been surgically implanted in my ass.

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

False.

There is morality in HR. Everyone is human, but we are largely (if not completely) bound by actual and threats of legal liability. If you can work your way around that and get to the person, then like I said, everyone is human.

Just understand that we're more scared of "the law" than you likely are, and use that to your advantage.

5. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

It's been snowing since 8:00 this morning without stopping. Why do people keep posting pictures they took of the road while driving to tell everyone the roads are bad? No shit the roads are bad, it's been snowing for 9 hours straight.

6. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

They might be able to get a better angle than the thousands of other people that post the exact same pictures so that you can really and truly understand how bad it actually is. Duh. Also, in case you didn't know it was snowing. Because you have no windows or something.

7. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So, I myself am looking to get back into my chosen field (programming), but the caveat is that my last programming job that I had for 5 years I was fired from. Alcohol dependency related issues.

I've had quite a few interviews that I should have been a shoe in for, but when they here about my firing, that's it, I'm out of the running.

Any advice on how I should handle this situation? My strategy so far has been be up front about the whole thing, but that's not really working for me. I have a reference from my former employer, but I doubt he would lie about why I left, and I won't ask him to.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It was mid-50's (12°C) and sunny all day, so I spent most of it on my deck, drinking beer, sanding the structural computer desk I'm making. Built a router sled to plane it flat, and got most of it rough-sanded. Tomorrow should be the last of the "messy" work... route the edges, finish sanding it, and then I can get ready to start staining it. Using a nice, dark Danish Oil that I like. Never stained a 10'x4' surface before, so hopefully it goes without too much drama or fucking up.

Now it's time to chew Ibuprofen and drink a box of wine while my back tries to regain some semblance of normalcy (feel free to review the "getting old" thread for an explanation).

Ordered in some killer Indian spices from a spice merchant that was recommended to me, and they showed up yesterday. Making some killer spicy curried pork for dinner and the place smells awesome.

That's a tough one... personally, I'd say "keep being straight up and honest". As long as you don't need this job ASAP to survive, then I say just keep plugging away looking for work. In the meantime, be aware that more and more Dev shops are looking for online, public GitHub repos as samples of your work. Pick a project, ideally one that is in the wheelhouse of a potential employer, if possible, and start writing some of the best code of your life. Make them want to hire you more than they are afraid of your past.

You need to differentiate yourself from the glut of programmers that are out there right now. Unfortunately you've already done that, negatively, as a result of your past and your 5 year absence from the trade. You've made it too easy for potential employers to easily and quickly take you out of the running. You now need something that not only makes up for that, but goes beyond and makes them want to keep you in the running, despite your background.

Also look at attending local developer groups and doing social networking in the field. I think you're going to have a good shot at landing a job by forming some sort of social friendship/acquaintanceship with someone who's hiring, not just applying into some unknown HR department.

It sucks that you have that shit in your past, but such is life. It happened, and it sounds like you're owning it. Good on ya. Now you have to work that much harder to make up for it, and that will make you a better employee because of it.

Just don't get discouraged. Persistence will pay off.

And if shit gets a bit depressing, just go have a drink or two... that makes things all better.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just watching last night's Bellator... and I see that Ken Shamrock is fighting Kimbo Slice in a few months.

Hahahahahahahaha!

What a shit show that will be... I mean, how old is Shamrock? 50?

Sure, it'll be interesting to watch, much like any good train wreck, and I can't see any way Kimbo wins.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

From their perspective, you're a liability. (Duh.) It's a simple legal matter. So all you gotta do is show them that you aren't a liability.

Do you see a therapist? Psychologist? Psychiatrist? Even your GP for your alcohol issues?

If they would write a personal letter of recommendation for you, great. But all they really need to do is write something that shows you are "recovered" and aren't a liability to anyone.

11. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I spent the day at work and went directly to an interview. Not only did I speak to the director of the dept...I talked to HR. I did one of my internships there, and my clinical instructor is now a manager. They all remember me. I wanted to work here when I graduated, but they didn't have any positions available at the time. I kind of want this to work out. This is a place to have a career not just a job. This gives me hope and hubby and me a reason to celebrate tonight. Wheeeeee!

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You're thinking too much like an HR person.

It's probably more to do with the social stigma, or the "well, there's a problem waiting to happen" headspace of the person interviewing.

Odds are it's a technical person doing the initial interviewing, and I know personally as a Director of Technology for many companies, I've not once thought along the lines of "legal liability". I've instead thought along the lines of technical ability, team fit, and reliability.

A "fired for drinking" past would raise the "he's going to cause me problems and fuck over the team" red flag with me... nothing legal.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

All true, but just the same: a letter from the presiding doctor regarding the alcohol problems, acknowledging that they are no longer an issue, would hold the same weight.

14. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I did attend and complete a 28 day in-patient treatment program in August of last year, and can provide proof of that. I've mentioned it in all my interviews, but it doesn't seem to have the desired effect.

A few people have mentioned that because it has been less than a year (happened in July last year) that there simply hasn't been enough time to prove that is in actuality a thing of the past. My only fear with that is that in a technical field being out of it for too long, I will date myself.

I've actually only been gone since July of last year, being gone for too long is something I'm afraid of. I worked for the company that fired me for 5 years, which is still on my resume as I do have a good reference from a Director there.

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Attached Files:

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

As someone who has/does (you never truly "recover") suffer from alcoholism (PTSD it a BITCH!!!)... I have complete sympathy for you. If a confirmed doctor's verification doesn't do it, hard as it is to think about, it might be time to start fresh and try another field of work.

Assuming you have actual people skills and other talents, if you apply elsewhere in another field, your bonus technical know-how is gonna put your application on top of the pile.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wouldn't bail on being a programmer, just go about getting a job in a different manner.

Don't tell them about the drinking, or don't use your reference. Or have a frank call with your reference and ask if he could help you out and not mention the drinking.

If you have a solid portfolio, showcase it somehow. Or lie and say that the guy you worked for before died or moved on to another job. Or get a programmer friend to lie for you.

If you jump through hoops and can't get a job in the field you want, then fuck them, and do what you have to to get your foot in the door.

I'm a big fan of doing the right thing with the best of intentions, but if others aren't playing ball, then change the rules.

18. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Still on the black and white kick.Hope most of you don't mind

[​IMG]

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

There's something about fake tits that just turns me off.

I blame it on the Internet. I grew up when AOL dial up became a massive thing and thusly appreciate any woman in 56k/s speed, so don't get me wrong... But I'd much rather have natural and small than large and fake.

20. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree, the tits aren't perfect, what I like about the photo is the eyes, direct eye contact can be very sexy. Shame about the fake tits though, she'd be insanely hot with some A's or Bs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.