Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

WDT NSFW 2/27/15 - My mailman is brain dead

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

He slipped on the ice, cracked his head open, and is (ostensibly) in a coma, but the lady at the post office is quite the shitty neurologist. I hadn't gotten mail in a week so I went to the post office to complain and they told me very gently for some reason. I was too busy being cross about it to care that much. I just want my mail.

Whatever.

Attached Files:

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait a minute Mr. Postman

Well, what a fun and uplifting start to the WDT.

Maybe this will be your replacement:
    [​IMG]

3. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    He looks like he's been pickled for 40 years and they just pulled him out of the brine jar and shocked him to life.

4. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

I can't...

I pictured it something like this:

"Look Jason, you're piano playing is on point, but that 5 year old division is tough. I know! Stop playing, do the robot, then finish. It's genius! First place, here we come!"

#4 happyfunball, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Friday bitches. I'm interviewing to go to a new team in the agency, a macro brew. Which is a huge upgrade from goddamn coat insulation. My celebration is Niykee.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

7. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Has anyone ever burned a bridge on the way out of a job? My manager is absolutely awful, and my coworkers and I are planning our escapes. That's not enough, though. I want to send her manager an email (or something) detailing her behaviors and specific incidences. Her boss was my clinical instructor during my main internship, so I might have a shred of credibility. Somebody needs to know about the shitstorm going on at this place and that she's the problem. In a perfect world my co-workers and I would walk out on the same day. Unfortunately, the odds of that happening are low. Advice? Tips? Way to go about this the right way?

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Even if your boss is terrible, you gain absolutely nothing by burning a bridge. Suck it up and keep your head down, then leave when the time is right with a smile on your face.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bridge over the River Kwai

I understand the reasons that people wanted to close the WDT during the week. But, that would've been a good place for the black & blue dress thing to pop up and burn out quickly, rather than having its own thread. And, I didn't even get to see y'all post funny memes from Madonna getting snatched down the stairs by a cape, because it didn't happen on the weekend. I miss that sort of thing.

Don't burn bridges. I work in a specific industry, and have been in it for about 25 years. It amazes me the people that I bump into that I haven't had contact with in 20 years. And people remember. I used to think that "small world" thing was just my industry, but the more people I talk to, the more I realize it's common in lots of fields.

10. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I know it's a bad idea, but it's frustrating knowing that people like her can go through life using and abusing power without consequences. Things are so bad that I can't believe they happen. They're so crazy that I can't make it up. I'm not that creative.

11. comforter

comforter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There's a difference between "don't burn bridges" and "don't subtly, professionally, and 100% deniably destroy someone behind her back". The latter is less viscerally satisfying, but a lot more effective. Think "velvet hammer" or "smilin' assassin".

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I blew up in such a fashion they tried to sue me for damages in Supreme Court.

The company I was working for was basically fucking over 3 game studios and trying to get me to be complicit in doing so, and I said, "fuck you", and sent out a very, very damaging "so long, and thanks for all the fish" good-bye email.

Their immediate reply was to sick their lawyers after me, which I found entertaining. Half of my family are lawyers, one of my co-workers and best friends who also bailed was a lawyer, and we'd been careful to document absolutely everything during our stay. Their intimidation tactic did nothing but offer me a chance to fuck them over and waste their money. They also didn't appreciate my official reply to their "cease and desist" letter being "bite me".

My reply was "absolutely... lets start the deposition process ASAP... I can't wait to ask all sorts of questions and get the answers officially on the record." I then outlined who and how I'd depose any witnesses, and how I had a whack of time off to do this in.

I basically filled in their lawyers on the details, how I was employee number 3, and I knew where all the bodies were buried, and I knew all the questions to ask, and how in asking those questions would show how their client intentionally fucked over their partners, in some cases almost criminally. I'd very purposely created and maintained a long and detailed paper trail of all their decisions and lies and manipulations, and it was all news to them. The lawyers very quickly realized that this was a big, big problem for their client, and basically said, "thanks, we'll leave you alone now".

All the game studios and other companies that were working for those clowns all emailed me and thanked me profusely for exposing everything that I had, and were appreciative about how it basically forced them to fix things.

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Bridge over the River Kwai

No fucking kidding.

I started a new job a little over a month ago not in the same industry but in the regulatory side of that industry. And at least twice a week, I run into someone I know or at the very least, someone who knows other people I worked with. Houston is a huge city but still, the radiology world is tiny. I'm glad I burned no bridges, but even if I did, I wield so much power at this new job, they wouldn't even consider acting out on me if they did.

14. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I'm at the fringe of northern Ontario. Snowmobiles are cheap to rent so I'm on a small 2 day trip for fun. Rode pay a guy who was walking, stopped to see what was up. Gave him a ride back to a groomer that had got stuck in the snow (nb I have a one-up sled and he wasn't small). Helped them get the tractor and pull unstuck; for my trouble, he gave me a 20 and told me to go to a certain place for lunch. Wound up not being a bad place; the owners wouldn't take my money and when the wife asked where I was going, recommended a hotel. So im at that hotel right now, and for a little dot on a map that struggled to attract tourists even for the summer camping season, they have a legit Thai cook, so we'll see how this pad Thai goes.

Not bad for a Friday.

15. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I sat through a 2 and1/2 hour "talent" show a month ago. Kids who couldn't sing, sang. Kids who couldn't dance, danced. Some kids who played instruments well decided to also sing, and sucked. And vice versa. One pair of kids sang that mind-numbingly stupid Taylor Swift song Blank Space, and forgot words, trailed off, lost the beat, and basically looked like idiots. It was a complete waste of time and made me want to stab kittens in the eye while throwing blind orphans off the George Washington Bridge.

16. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

At swim meets we sing the National Anthem. We usually get some kids that want to sing it (although if we don't I have the instrumental on my phone--best .99 I ever spent, although it's weird when my phone goes from playing Eminem to that in my car, I keep meaning to create a playlist), so one year when my daughter was about 10, her and two of her friends decided to sing it at our outdoor meet. Except they forgot the words. My daughter, who was holding the mic, in her undying loyalty to her friends, proceeded to stop singing and turn her head in disgust and act like "OMG THEY are so bad, I'm just the mic holder". Luckily some parents joined in and we got it over with. To this day I occasionally bring up how she threw her friends under the bus, to which her response is "hey! I was only 10!" Now I will call the words up on my phone, just in case. It's even better when a boy going through puberty sings it and his voice cracks on that high note. I always do the "are you SURE you want to sing it, I got the instrumental on my phone", inspiring confidence, I'm sure. Sometimes I wonder why kids like me. Particularly my kids.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

See this is the kind of thing that needs to go in the Suggestions Thread.

I have never burned a bridge, since I've only ever had one job (which is kinda like marrying a virgin, but I digress).

In my job though, I do a lot of hiring. Today I spent five hours interviewing. It's one of the more interesting things I do, because you get to meet so many different personalities with so many different stories and work histories. As a rule, I always prefer for the people I hire to put in their proper notice (usually two weeks) at their old job and not just up and leave, even if it is more immediately convenient for us to have them start basically at the end of the interview.

- The first and most important is that it patterns their behavior. As a distance runner, I was taught that if you let yourself walk once during training, you're gonna reason yourself to that point again and again and again to where it becomes easy. If someone quits their old job the day after I hire them, they're more likely to do that if/when they find another job while working for us.

- Morally, it's the right thing to do. As an employer, it sucks when someone doesn't come back from their lunch break for no reason and won't answer your calls. Or just doesn't show up one day. Or leaves you hanging with like two days to fill their spot. I know how it feels for me to be in that position, and I don't want to put someone else in that position either even if it is a direct competitor... Hey, if they're gonna be with you for many years, a few extra days doesn't matter.

- Don't burn bridges. I tell this to every applicant who asks me whether they should do their two weeks or not. Even if it's in a field you have no intention of ever returning to, you never know where that company is gonna pop up again in your life. The world is big, but it's shockingly small when you need something. Also, you may be burning bridges for me too. They're gonna know which company you left them hanging for, and if we come into professional contact, we may pay your price.

You wanna go about this "the right way"? Put in your required notice and tell them that you fully intend to put forth your best effort for the duration of your stay at the company, however you'd prefer to leave earlier if possible (most employers will oblige, if even partially).... Then go get shitfaced drunk celebrate your almost freedom from their oppressive reign of terror.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did I miss the decision to close down the WDT through out the week?

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Think you're really gonna give her the "consequence" she deserves by you calling her out while you quit? I can promise you she won't think about you again after you leave, unless someone calls for an employment verification and then she'll have to look at your driver's license picture in your file to remember who you are.

I try my hardest to do things the right way and I still get people who quit and go nuts on me from time to time... Comes with the territory. I always just calmly ask them "Are you sure?" and "Is there anything you think I can do better in the future?" And then they either decide to stay and we work things out, or they leave and I forget about them by the end of the day.

Because usually employment verifications don't come in the same day they leave.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.