Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NEVER BROKE A BONE [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rush-O-Matic, Mar 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Never broke a bone member here!

I've had plenty of falls/ accidents where I SHOULD have broken something, but never did.

Probably the closest I've ever had was the first day of school my freshman year of high school: I jumped out of a grain trailer into the back of my dad's truck, and landed wrong.
    It messed up something in my knee, and it would pop whenever I straightened my leg; I could feel that something was obviously wrong in there, but I didn't do anything about it.
    The next day, my knee was swollen up as big as a football, and I was walking with a limp for the next couple of months.

My knee eventually got back to normal, but about once a year, I would slip or step in a wrong way, and it would start popping again.

Hasn't happened in about ten years, though.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Only broke a bone once, well technically 4 times. Little kid skied into the back of me at full speed and I fell onto my poles and broke my hand in 4 places. Sometimes I like to think that kids father drunkenly beat him to death. I keep waiting for my call to appear as a character reference in his trial, but the call never comes. :mad:

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With or without the department's consent?

The only bones I've broken were a few stress fractures. Two vertebrae during my freshman year of college. From what I understood, they hadn't lined up properly as I grew and playing sports/hiking/ROTC activities put enough stress on them to stress fracture.

Then in 2013 while training for a marathon I stress fractured my femur near the hip socket.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've broken my big toe in school... grade... 5? 6? Playing soccer with a tennis ball was a thing at recess, and of course we played it on the tarmac. One day I wore sandals, and wound up for the big shot, and proceeded to plow my big tow into the asphalt with enough force to break my big toe. Nothing you could do about it other than tape it to the toe beside it and suffer.

A couple years later I fell off of a kids playground at school and broke my arm... it was hairline, and didn't really hurt all that much.

That was it for breaks, but the most life-altering injury I had was anything but a break.

Playing rugby, a guy tackled me from behind while I was scooping up a ball, and we hit the ground with my leg bent between us. My right leg was bent so that my foot was up between my shoulder blades, and then it went more. Ended up overbending my knee to the point it popped out. 3 of the 4 ligaments in my knee were ripped apart, and the nerve at my knee snapped in half. For about 2 years I couldn't walk, and from the knee on down, on the outside of my knee, I had no feeling.

Over the course of 2 years I could track the nerve growth progress along the outside part of my lower leg, at which point I could walk with minimal limping, and another 5 years after that before I could kind of lift up my big toe. To this day I have some nerve damage and permanent muscle atrophy.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

wait we're counting these too? Fuuuuuuuck......

and my wife wonders why I have a high pain tolerance. I used to think my broken bone count was around a dozen or so. Now I'm thinking it's closer to two

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Took our first, real vacation in quite sometime. Unfortunately for the wifey, she had a terrible flight, Aunt Flo is in town and her stomach is fucked up.
    On the other hand, I'm pretty deep into some IPA's with this as my view.

Attached Files:

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm pretty stoked right now.

My best friend, who lives in BC, just booked his flight out in a few months.

He's flying out, and we're dragging my Airstream back to BC, fishing on the way as we go, to get to our fishing lodge in the mountains where "The Boys" will have a killer 4-5 day fishing trip, just like we do every year for 18(?) years now.

We're planning on a 12 day trip out... just him, me, and my dog, and some killer fishing.

Then I get to take 10 days to come back.

It should be pretty close to a solid month of fishing, interspersed with some Starlink-driven "work from the road" to get the best extended use of vacation days.

Cannot wait!

8. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

No broken bones on my side, but lots of major soft tissue injuries. I've gotta say that I've shocked at how many of you have had so many broken bones. I feel like I've been too risk averse in the past!

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I figure a lot of this just has to be dumb luck. When I was a kid, I climbed trees, rocks, jumped off anything and everything. I grew up riding horses and playing sports. I've skied and mountain biked my whole life, did downhill bike racing and urban riding for years. I do a lot of class 3-4 peak scrambles now.

I mean, I haven't participated in recreational motor sports, but I haven't lived a low-risk lifestyle either.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was shocked we never broke any bones dirt biking which was my family’s weekend past time. I’m the only kid of the three that broke any bones.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

ALL of you should have smashed ribs and collarbones. Every. Single. One of you.

My best friend should also be in traction. He’s a downhill mountain biker who does the scariest paths on the fucking North Shore in B.C. three times a year. We are talking up to seventy miles an hour through the woods and three-story drops. Contusions and cuts is the worst thing he’s ever had. I’ve done some hard sporting in my life, I wouldn’t be caught dead doing that.

The guy is Harold Lloyd, I swear to Christ. He always pulls away unscathed. Most aren’t so lucky.

#51 Crown Royal, Mar 7, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never broke a bone on a dirt bike, I did get knocked unconscious and got horrible a burn from the exhaust pipe laying on my my leg. I was in full protective gear, but it was just above my MX boots, burned through my riding pants.

My friend's kid that won the Kalk world championship, one-design electric MX race, he stayed in casts as kid. His doctor straight up told my friend he had to stop racing, and he did for a long time. His little brother, who is faster and actually a paid, sponsored MX racer now, didn't have the problem of broken bones. Knock on wood for the kid.

I broke my thumb pole vaulting. Not at an actual track and field event. I cut a nice straight tree and was pole vaulting over a foam dummy deer target for bow hunting practice.

I broke my foot. Got addicted to Percocets because I liked the feeling and I knew a guy that could get piles of them. Been semi-sober for almost five years, exception being occasional alcohol and pot butter.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is a lot of protective gear dirt biking. Was just surprised there weren’t more wrist or elbow injuries given less protection and typically what hit first when you went down.

I’ve told the story before of the drunk atv rider who crashed headfirst into a tree right next to me. Helmet came off before he hit his head directly into the tree. He was convulsing and puking blood and then complaining he broke his femur until the ambulance took him off. Most fucked up shit I’ve witnessed in my life.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This thread contains scenes of extreme violence and mature themes. Viewer discretion is advised.

7FEE71CA-4D12-493E-BCAE-DEEF7928BBC7.jpeg

15. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A good fitting helmet, properly strapped on is a must.

Motorcycles will hurt you in all kinds of neat ways.

My friends were foster parents for a while. One of the kids lost a finger because he came up short on a jump and slammed into back side of a landing ramp. The rubber end of his handlebar was gone, ripped off some time prior, so basically an exposed 1/2" pipe acted like a cookie cutter and cut out a circle of bone and tissue. They didn't try to reattach it.

If you're riding anything with hand brake or clutch levers, the levers have a little ball on the end. This ball serves a purpose. It keeps that lever from stabbing you in the event of a crash. If the ball breaks off, leaving a jagged metal spike, do not ride until you fix it. I had a friend get stabbed by one.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We always had barkbusters on ours to avoid the pitfalls of clutch stabbings.

My brother moved back and we are wanting to get back into it as we still have a couple of bikes. I haven’t ridden since I was 16 or so. I can only imagine I’ll be sore for three weeks after a single day trail riding these days.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always used bark busters, too. They will get you laughed at on a MX track for some reason, I never understood the hate. Like being an extra couple pounds lighter is adding any meaningful speed to these C-class hero's performance.

18. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

The only thing I've broken is my right elbow, and I'm right handed...and I type for a living, basically. The recovery was, long. PT was longer. Moral of that story is if you're going to lean on something to look over, make sure what you're leaning on is actually connected to something.

My only other serious injury was mangling my left thumb (surgery) in the shake machine at the old Dairy Queen. Being the drive-thru girl came at a cost. Who knew.

I also can't believe how many bones some of you have broken. The only one I expected that much volume from was 'nerds.

19. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got my fair share. Broke the radius and ulna along with a handful of hand bones at 14 on my dominant hand. Broke the other radius at 16. 2 knuckles on the left hand at 18. Hyperextended elbow requiring surgery at 22. Popped the tibia and fibula out the skin at 32ish. Roughly 200 stitches incurred since birth. Nothing broken since then but have had drop foot from nerve damage, 17 stitches from an unrelated thing and a heart attack sitting here at 37. We're doing better lately though.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A couple people mentioned concussions. Are we doing surgeries, stitches and concussions, too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.