Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NEVER BROKE A BONE [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rush-O-Matic, Mar 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Uh, no.
    Femur
    Foot (I forget which bone)
    Right distal radius
    Left distal radius, markedly comminuted
    Right ring finger
    Left big toe
    Left next-to-pinky toe
    Right proximal humerus
    Two ribs
    Coccyx
    Left orbital

I think that's it.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ive broken my left arm twice. Once in 3rd grade roller blading I jumped off our three foot porch and fell when I landed dropping right on it. The growth plate in my elbow popped out and had to have surgery to correct it.

Second time my friend, who was into professional wrestling at the time, was showing me some moves before English class in 7th grade. He performed an 'arm breaker' where he faced away and slammed my outstretched arm over his shoulder. Wasnt malicious but hit my elbow in the exact right spot at the joint where it hyperextended and broke. Inch or so forward or back would have hit bone instead of the joint. I told the teacher but she didnt believe me thinking I was trying to get out of a quiz. I sat there and went into a cold sweat and shivers. Went to the nurse after class and they had my mom take me to the hospital to get it set up. Teacher apologised profusely when I came back in a cast.

3. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

if it makes you feel any better I broke my foot stepping in a pothole when I was sober and in my mid 20s. It was a dark street without sidewalks and I was talking to my husband and not looking at my feet and then all of a sudden… BAM. I also managed to catch my other knee on the edge of the pothole and cut it pretty badly.

I showed up to the ER (because it was after midnight and that was the only option) and told them I was pretty sure my R foot was broken and I needed stitches in my L knee. Every doc/med student/nurse/resident assumed I was wasted and they tried to make me do a drug/alcohol screen despite being totally lucid. I wish I had the excuse of being hammered, I’m just clumsy.

7 hours later I had an inadequate number of stitches and an oversized walking boot and a bunch of unnecessary tests and a huge bill. 0/10 stars. Would not recommend.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I had polydactyl removal as a baby, and shoulder surgery in my 20s, but no broken bones yet! So I need to (checks thread).... Avoid walking at night, avoid walking on slopes and on ice. Yeah, this'll end well.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've broken toes because I think anyone who works around horses for long enough gets a broken toe or ten. Nothing bigger, though.

Have a work friend who likewise had never broken a bone. Last year he was walking home in the evening, slipped on black ice and hit his head. No blood, so he went home and took some aspirin. His girlfriend couldn't quite put her finger on it, but thought he was acting just a tiny bit off and insisted he go to the ER instead of going to bed.

Doc at the ER found he fractured his skull, diagnosed him with a traumatic brain injury, and informed him that if he had gone to sleep he probably wouldn't have woken up. His girlfriend probably saved his life.

He was out of work for weeks, then part time for a month because he couldn't focus for a full day, and spend almost 6 months getting back to normal.

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In 2nd grade I fell off the monkey bars and I "broke" my elbow. This whole time I assumed I hyper extended it but now I'm wondering if I broke a growth plate which I had never even heard of until today.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Are your arms significantly different lengths?

8. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Um..... no.

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Too bad. A few extra toes might help stabilize you.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

First time in about 5 years I’m actually getting a tax refund.

11. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had casts on both my legs as a baby because my feet were turned wicked inwards when I was born (pigeon toed?). My mom said after the second month she was ready to slug every person who asked her if she had dropped me.

12. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I broke a bone in my right hand two years ago. I am right handed. I type for a living. It was hard. I still can’t write very well. Filling out a form is super difficult.

I broke it on St Patrick’s day. I was sober. I went walking into my kids preschool. I was putting on my mask. It got tangled with my glasses. I tripped and fell. I only wish I was drunk, because it hurt really bad.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

never broken a bone while drunk. The irony.

I used to have osteoporosis, the result of my brain tumor (which we didn't know I had at the time) taking calcium that was supposed to go to my bones and using it for its own means. As a result, as a child, I had what one doctor described as "the bone density of a 75 year old woman, who has osteoporosis."

Breaks 1+2: both bones in my left wrist roller blading

Break 3: right arm, fucking around pulling wheelies on a big wheel tricycle, fell backward onto shag carpeting

Break 4: left shoulder, fell off a tractor

Break 5: my nose (first time), got into a fight with a door

Break 6: right hand, playing basketball, went for a pump fake, got undercut and came down wrong

Break 7: left hand middle finger, catching a football.... yeah

Break 8: lower back (described above) while running

after that was the brain tumor, the removal of which brought a with it gradual but welcomed return of my bone density. 15 years later and I am back where I should be. However, I still have some shit luck.

I've broken my nose enough times that I no longer keep track or usually get it xrayed, though I can confirm at least 3 more times where x-rays were taken including the now-infamous time on here where I fell off a ladder and it was so crooked that I re-set it myself (mistake), another time just being clumsy and falling off a ladder, as well as another recent time where I was setting a chair down on the porch and the chair flipped up and cracked me across the bridge.

I do not count or even get toes and fingers xrayed at this point. All they're gonna do is tape them, which I can do at home. I'll skip the co-pay and just take some tylenol.

I also broke my fib in my left leg jumping into shallow water to help my nieces who were choking. That was far and away the most painful break.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’ve been hurt quite a bit, but not a lot of fractures. Everything I’ve broken can’t be casted: my toes, my ribs, my eye socket and my tailbone.

The last three of those were all legitimately Six Weeks Of Hell. Every breath you take, every move you make— it hurts.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Oh you reminded me, I did confirm a broken toe once. We were in Seattle on vacation, staying right by Pike Place market. Woke up in the middle of the night to take a piss and with the lights off I kicked the metal hotel bed frame. Big toe just hurt like fuck all. Hobbled to the nearest urgent care the next morning... I don't know how far of a walk it was, but it was a few miles round trip. Tried to hail a taxi but none passed us. Xrays confirmed it was broken clean through. They put me on crutches but it was easier just to hobble around.

Two days later we walked to a Mariners game. Taxied back though. Seattle is different in the dark.

Would never go there now.

16. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does breaking a bone off inside your mama count?

For me it was a fractured ankle, in just about the dumbest way. Stepping a wood pallet, maybe 6" height. Bottom of my boot gets caught in some nail, so my foot stayed in place while the rest of me and my momentum keep moving on. Less "crack", more bone avulsion and tendon tear. That was a fun bunch of weeks, but at least RDR2 just came out so that was my rehab.

17. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've only broken three. 1st was playing racquetball with my brother on a family trip to a Holidome (that's going back a ways) I saw he was going to try to hit the ball into the corner of the court and snuck in just in time to catch a backhand to the nose. Black eyes and a very sore nose for a couple weeks and it's still a little crooked but not too bad.

2nd some asshole threw a drum top (think steel 55 gallon drum) like a frisbee, I almost caught it but a finger got in the way or couldn't handle the pressure, unclear which. That hurt for a while.

3rd and hopefully last, I was on a spring golf trip to Nashville two years ago. It had been raining a lot and a couple of the courses were cart path only. On one of them I was walking off of a green, down a slope. I was being careful because I'm a big guy (top heavy) and water was pooling around my shoes with each step. I clearly leaned back too far and started sliding down the hill, twisted to catch myself and my foot caught and didn't twist with me. My buddy and I both heard the pop but after a bit I was able to get up and limp back to the cart. I still made it downtown to the bars but I really couldn't walk very well and when I got back and in to my Dr they had me in for surgery pretty quickly for a broken fibula. A plate, six or seven screws, and a cable around my ankle later I'm almost back to normal. Worst part of that was six weeks without putting weight on it.

18. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Reading these posts makes me feel super lucky, I have thus far avoided breaking anything big. I have never ridden in an ambulance, never stayed in the hospital, never had a cast. My only surgery was to remove my gall bladder, but I was in and out and home all in one day. It was hard to stay still as ordered after that surgery, I get itchy to do shit, but I mainly behaved.

I have more scars from sailing than football, wrestling and soccer combined, but as was said around here a few weeks ago, sailing is much more physical than people assume.

I have broken some small bones in both hands and my right foot, all in my 20s, all from fighting, because I was an idiot. Had a friend pull the hand to set it each time, and that was that. Just went with ice + tylenol, and was eventually OK.

Hahaha. It's not like you are picking on bewildered by stating the truth! Still classic

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have never ridden in an ambulance as the guy strapped on the gurney, but I have ridden as support for someone who was, a couple times for a ride-a-long, and I've driven an ambulance.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Just went for what was supposed to be a slow training run at around a 12 min/mile pace. Didn't look at my watch until I hit 2 miles and realized if I pushed really hard I could finish a 5k in under 30 min. The significance of that is that the last "official" race I ran was a 5k, where I got the only medal I've legitimately won, and I did it in just over 30 min, though I tore the meniscus in both knees in the process.

I did not end up finishing 5k under 30 min -- did it in 32:01 -- but I didn't tear anything this time, and it's still the fastest 5k I've done since covid by about 8 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.