Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] National Waffle Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Happy National Waffle Day!

Sorry I couldn't find all of you an appropriate card, but apparently Hallmark doesn't give a fuck about waffles.

Speaking of waffles, I can't remember the last time I had them.

But here I am, stuck at work, craving breakfast.

FOCUS: Breakfast. Do you do breakfast? What's your go-to day-to-day? What's your favourite special occasion breakfast? What's your specialty?

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

First one to post Blue Waffles gets a vacation.

Just sayin.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I really only eat breakfast on Fridays and maybe sometime on the weekends. Fridays I usually work at home and hit up my favorite breakfast diner by myself. Its a little something to look forward to at the end of the week. Scrambled eggs, corned beef hash, potatoes and toast tossed back with some coffee as thick as motor oil. Breakfast during the week doesnt usually happen otherwise, maybe a banana here and there.

The only time I have something sweet for breakfast is this famous diner near where my wife grew up that does banana bread french toast with clotted cream. Its absolutely delicious.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Focus: Chorizo and egg tacos, where you cook the scrambled eggs with the chorizo and all the greasy awesomeness. Put that on a hot, flour tortilla, cover with cheese, smother with Valentina hot sauce.

Eat about three of those with some black coffee and you're gonna have killer shits in an hour or two. But it'll be worth it every bit of it.

Aaaaaand now I'm hungry.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

When I lived in downtown Vancouver (Robson and Thurlow) years ago I lived near a crepe place. It was a small, 5-seat restaurant that did 99% of its business out the front window. It was like a food truck stuck into a building, right on Robson Street.

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 10.32.47 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 10.35.40 AM.jpg

That place made the absolute best crepes, and even though there was always a lineup, every few days I'd go see a client and would head out early so I could wait in line for a crepe.

One day I was on my way to a meeting, stopped for a crepe, and proceeded to dump blueberry compote down my shirt... but with no time to go home and change. I'd known the client for a while, so as embarrassing as it was, I just powered through it. Showed up at the meeting, he saw my shirt and laughed, and then I explained how it was the daily special crepe. "Fuck me... now you've got me hungry... love that place, let's carry on over there." We then went and got crepes and talked about a new project which we signed up once we got back to his office.

He was in such a good mood he signed off on a whole bunch of extras that he normally wouldn't have. (I generally throw a bunch of extra stuff into proposals in order to make it feel like they're winning something by having it removed)

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I do breakfast, take pride in it because my dad did. He’s a freak. When he cooks it, it looks like the photos in a Denny’s menu, and I mean flawless. Never break a yolk, never let anything stick, perfect colour flow through everything. I try to model after that so hands off my fucking stove in the A.M.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The wind has changed directions and now the smoke from the 35 lbs of pork butt I'm BBQing on the back porch is going into our A/C units. The smell is spreading throughout the house.

The entire place smells like pork, brown sugar and paprika.

My wife is gonna murder me when she gets home.

8. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sounds like you need a new, more appreciative wife.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Are you proposing?

10. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I already got a meat guy and I have well documented commitment issues, so pass.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Owner of my local cigar shop gave me a bunch of free ones when I told him I was getting a few sticks for my sons’s bday party bbq.

Turns out there are actually are good people in this world. I left with about $100 in cigars for a $20.

12. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: Two slices of peanut butter toast and a coffee, at most. Other days, just a protein shake.

13. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I love a good breakfast on the weekend - scrambled eggs, bacon and potatoes. Before kids, I used to have time to sit and eat a bowl of cereal and read the paper. Now, it's a cliff bar in the car.

My kids love eggo waffles at the moment and I'm pretty sure they could eat one for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I gotta admit, the "thick and fluffy" ones aren't half bad.

14. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

during the week - a glass of OJ, some yogurt and a pot of coffee

during the weekend - mostly random, but usually a few bowls of cereal, eggs & bacon, pancakes (with real maple syrup, not that corn syrup shit) or breakfast at a local place with the wife; all with a couple pots of coffee

if you haven't guessed, I drink a lot of coffee.

15. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yesterday was amazing but today the smoke is back up here around my house and ugh. Miserable.

16. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I almost hardly ever eat breakfast, instead opting for my 600 calorie coffee that I make with butter and coconut oil. That typically keeps me full enough through to lunch.

However, on the weekends my oldest is always asking for me to make some of my homemade bacon if I have any leftover, so I'll usually make a half pound or so on a Saturday or Sunday morning. The key to the best bacon though: bake in the over low and slow. I typically do mine at 250*F for around 90 minutes. It'll be the best bacon you've ever had. It's that perfect in-between stage of not too crispy, but still somewhat chewy, plus it'll make your whole place smell like bacon for hours, and who doesn't like that? (Except for RotN's wife.)

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean. Once I can start smoking again (no smoking while wounds are recovering due to the vasoconstriction) I fully intend to sit on the front porch and get high af.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, to be fair, he wasn't the guy who got her fired... someone at NASA saw that interaction and shit-canned her. He wrote a blog post explaining it and has since taken it down.

He was more worried about her being detected by NASA.

"It occurred to me that this young person might get in trouble if NASA saw it, so I tweeted to her one word: 'Language' and intended to leave it at that," Hickam wrote in the post, which was cited in several news reports. "Soon, her friends took umbrage and said a lot of unkind things, but long after I was gone, as I immediately deleted my comments and blocked all concerned."
    https://www.space.com/41612-prospective-nasa-intern-loses-position-twitter.html

Funnily enough, it looks like all of her friends responding caused it to trend and get on NASA's radar in the first place.

Part of me feels bad for her, but part of me also thinks I don't want someone that fucking stupid to be working at NASA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.