Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL UNPLUG DAY 3/6/20 [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Mar 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Flying into Mexico City in a few days for a wedding. I hate being a paranoid traveler but my wife is pale, blonde and 7 months pregnant. If I were a criminal in Mexico that’s the first bitch getting shoved in my trunk.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s a small town. If there’s any shady activity I’m sure it will be reported and the not-corrupt-whatsoever police will fall over themselves to help.

3. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just make sure to wave big wads of US cash around. That way everyone will know that you're important and no one will fuck with you.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I fly to Vancouver tomorrow, today, in 3 hours... but some part of my lizard brain made me get up and clean my bathroom before I leave.

I had 4 hours of sleep available, and I couldn’t sleep until I had done that.

Maybe some part of me doesn’t want to be judged by some errant pube should the plane go down. Who knows.

Anyone else have weird compulsions when they travel/fly?

5. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I pretty much do every petty little chore like that before I go out of town. Take out the trash, run the dishwasher, clean the bathroom etc. I think it's because I know that I won't want to do anything once I finally get home except crash on the couch for a few hours. Coming home to a mound of chores sucks.

6. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's my usual plan as well. I'm not sure my house is ever nicer than right before I go out of town.

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Less of a compulsion and more of a ritual. I have to be reading a magazine during takeoff and landing. The actual paper kind. Preferably Harper’s. If I can’t find a Harper’s I’ll get the Economist, but the substitution unsettles me.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Not so much a compulsion as it is a small prideful act of defiance. If Im sitting in coach like one of the poor, Ill refuse the drink service and wont go to the bathroom if the flight is under 3 hours. No real reason other than Im adult and wont get dehydrated or piss myself in that time.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

After witnessing people walk into airplane bathrooms in their sock fucking feet (gaaaaaahhhh!!!!!), I try to touch as few surfaces as possible on an airplane.

Treat them as you would a motel pool jacuzzi.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

so piss all over them?

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Not even close. More like.....

1F3FFA66-F300-4742-862B-E6174B871984.jpeg

...if there was a way to move between molecules, a community hot tub would be the first reason.

12. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't view it as a weird compulsion, but if its a longer flight, I'll usually stay up so that I sleep through the flight.

Humblebrag

#52 AFHokie, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I have a bad habit of falling to sleep immediately and staying asleep throughout the duration, whether it’s a 30 minute or 10 hour flight. I say bad, because with two young children my wife is left to take care of them herself and I wake up to one angry woman.

reason is, the back right quarter of my head is still completely numb from the brain surgery. So it’s like a pillow I take everywhere with me. Just lean against something and I’m out like a light. Fantastic side effect, love it. I can fall asleep on the ground quite comfortably.

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't sleep for shit on an airplane. Took a red eye to FL recently and even with having two beers, a shot, two glasses of wine and some Zzzyquil, I slept for *maybe* 15 mins.

Maybe my wife had brain surgery at some point because she was out immediately after take off and I had to wake her up when we landed.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

sucker

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Random question since we’re on the subject of sleep:

anyone know of a good mattress?

we’ve had ours at least 10 years, and there’s so much crap online (and the mattress industry as a whole is one big clusterfuck) that I don’t know where to really start looking. And this board has rarely if ever steered me wrong when it comes to big purchases. Y’all some smart fuckers.

17. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My wife and I got a Casper mattress with a few of the bamboo memory foam pillows and I don't think I've ever slept so well.

I think when we buy a house, we're gonna splurge and get a king size Wave (the fanciest of the Casper mattresses).

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Its invariable always the same and it’s fucking disgusting. Piss all over the seats, full trash bin, soap all over the counter. It’s like Michael J Fox went in there and had a seizure while trying to take a piss. The only salvation is sitting in first or business where the riff-raff can’t pass through your cabin to use the bathroom.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot of the online places offer a free trial period, and if you don't like it they just arrange for a local donation place to come pick it up. Really lowers the risk of being wrong.

The mattress industry definitely sucks and there's a whole network of sites who do sketchy and biased reviews. What makes it worse is that most people are going to like a new mattress - they're replacing something that needs replacing, and don't have a ton of direct comparisons, so a basically decent product is likely to elicit a 5-star review.

FWIW, we picked up a Brooklyn Bedding mattress a few years ago (the specific model isn't offered now but it's most similar to their Aurora, I believe) and I'm very happy with it. It felt like it had a little more bounce to it than some of the other foam mattresses I've tried. And I really fucking like their "Talalay" pillow.

If you've never bought a foam mattress, be aware that your box spring won't work (it's not supportive enough for the heavy foam), so you'll either need a "foundation" (i.e. a box-spring shaped metal frame) or a bunkie board, which is just a thick piece of wood. We tried a bunkie board but it dropped the height of the mattress so much that it looked weird so we ponied up for a foundation.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We've slept on a Sam's club pillowtop cal-king mattress and boxsprings for a few years now. I guess it is a Serta? I like a really firm bed and it's firm but has the cushiony top. We went to some mattress stores but didn't find the beds to be any more comfortable, and they were like 4x the price.

The guest bedroom has an 8" memory foam mattress we bought off Amazon. It's actually really comfortable but I don't think they have a reputation for being a good long term selection for every day use. I've napped on it but not done a full night's sleep. In the past the memory foam beds I've slept just sunk too much and ended up killing my back after a night. This one seems a little denser/firmer. The memory foam beds purchased online are funny because they ship completely compressed and rolled up. Lug it to location and open the box. Poof! You've got a bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.