Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL RED WINE DAY[NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just make sure no breakable decor is below waist height. My Dane’s tail was a force of destruction when he got excited. Literally swiped a vase of roses off an end table once and launched it into the floor creating a hell of a mess that he of course wanted to help with. Glass and fucking thorns everywhere. Or dock the tail, not my style but I understand it now.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Greyhounds apparently do not need much activity. One of my bosses at a previous job had a few retired ones. She brought them in and they raced up and down the cubicles and looked like the happiest dogs on earth. I almost went out and got one that day.

3. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have two boxers. It’s like having four year old triplets.
    They mind fairly well all things considered...duke has gotten old enough he doesn’t like mischief too much. Daisy just wants love.

but don’t leave your food down and unattended. They’re snipers.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

my mother’s first dog, which she got while living in an apartment, was a Great Dane. I’d love to own one, except for the fact that their shits are the size of cow patties

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Greyhounds are great low-energy dogs, and you can easily come by relatively young purebreds that are retired from racing. The only thing to know is that, being sighthounds, you will never be able to walk them off-leash. The first rabbit they see and they'll be gone, no matter how much you reinforce recall.

I like huskies but would never own one, and it's insane how many people get them based on aesthetics. A coworker has two because they're "pretty," but this coworker's idea of exercise is making separate trips to the kitchen for beer and chips. He complains that they eat his furniture and get into things, and explained that he thinks they "like the taste of wood."

I hinted around that they're looking for more exercise but was told that, when left alone in the yard, they don't run in circles so they clearly don't need exercise. I told him that dogs don't self-exercise well but left it alone after that; he couldn't comprehend that even my 26 lb. mutt gets 2+ miles daily and more on weekends, so he wasn't ever going to exercise them right.

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the best times in a greyhound owner's life will be taking a FAST RC car with a stuffed rabbit attached to an open field and running them around. My cousin and I didn't that with his.

7. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wish I could get Duke out for 2+ a day but he limps so hard after a half mile I feel horrible going much more than that.

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Greyhounds sounds perfect for my lazy ass.

How are they with allergies?

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

They're not terrible, at least in my experience (we had one when I was a kid). Now i have a 5 month old yellow lab and he's insane.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Careful with the Greyhound rescue situation. Usually you got a great dog but sometimes you get one who needs a lot of work and socialization. I've known several people who have gotten retired racers and most of them were really lazy dogs but one of them acquired a dog with a lot of issues.

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ll second that. A friend got a rescue greyhound and he definitely needed socialization and even then she didn’t trust him 100% around people.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Newfoundlands are for the most part low energy. You will never brush them enough or keep up with the drool, but if you're ok with a 150+ lbs fluff ball that will defeat any vacuum, and is super great with children, they are ideal. We walk her, exercise her in the yard and take her to dog day care a few times a week (for socialization) but a good chunk of her exercise is moving from laying in front of the fireplace, to laying on the couch, to laying in front of the door.

They will also clear anything not bolted down to a table with their tail. On the positive side, my son currently thinks one of the greatest things in the world to stand behind Pela and have her smack him in the face with her tail when she's wagging it.

I've had two now, and neither one really ever begged at the table, but both would sit and stare in judgment the entire time you eat.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Too much drool for me.

16. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My husband waited until AFTER I got both of my dogs to tell me he’d been attacked by a dog when he was young.

I’m glad my dogs are the derpiest derps who ever derped.

17. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am allergic to life itself, so something with that kind of hair is a no go.

The search continues.

Shame an emotional support hedgehog isn't a thing. Easy to travel with

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The ONE time I forget to lock the thread...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.