Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL PACK RAT DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

They’re called “Mexicans” and you guys hate them.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

They get shit done though. We have a maid that comes once every other week, because with two kids it’s impossible to clean everything. It’s a mom and daughter team, and they asked to be paid by the job not the hour (for a very fair amount too). We quickly understood why. Sometimes they bring cousins, friends, anyone staying with them and they clean a roughly 4K sq ft house in about half an hour. And when I say clean, I mean they clean under frames and crap my wife hasn’t moved in 10 years. I could eat off our toilet when they finish.

Complete respect for their work ethic. Some of the nicest people I’ve met too. Love it when they sell homemade tamales around Xmas time. I’ll eat those things by the half dozen.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Child's play.

4. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You guys were right, the umbrella looked fine even at 15 feet. Had a small issue where the pipe for the base was a bit too wide to fit through the hole in the bottom support beam, but a little bit of sanding with the dremel to widen it open just a hair, and it's good to go.

Now to sit outside and get porch drunk.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It should be high 80's and sunny out with me taking full advantage of the new solar pool heater but instead it's 58* and raining. On a high note though, the kitchen granite was installed today and looks amazeballs.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The first thing a person should learn to say in Spanish is “Will you clean my house for twenty dollars?”

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

No, the first thing they should learn is "Cerveza?" I no longer drink, but I still keep some cold Dos Equis in my fridge just in case. That stuff is like currency. It also makes for a great tip.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Living in a place full of Spanish speakers, I respectfully disagree.

The first phrase you need to learn is "Deja de mear en eso, es mio." It roughly means "Stop pissing on that! It's mine."

I haven't checked into it, but I'm guessing "Toilet" in Spanish translates into "Everything" in English.

9. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you have a set of plans you built if from? I was thinking building one would be a great fall project so that its ready for next year

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Just read that between the time it was discovered, and the time it was de-classified as a planet, Pluto had yet to make a full rotation around the sun.

That's pretty fucking incredible.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nope... I just read about the concept online, something like this: https://www.urbanfoodgarden.org/main/wicking-beds/wicking-beds-depths.htm

I then did some investigation about the size of pond liners I could get for relative cheap, so I had a rough idea around the dimensions that a pond liner could support with minimal alterations (basically just cut one in half). I then went to the local sawmill and saw what cheap, thick rough cut lumber they had for cheap. I found that when comparing the two there was natural sweet spot where the two overlapped for a reasonable price... anything bigger and it would have been way, way more expensive.

The first box was made with pretty good cut rough pine that was in fairly consistent and straight 2"x10"x12' lengths, so I opted to make the thing 11' long by 5.5' wide by 30" tall. (Basically the max length I could get after taking the checked/messed up few inches off of each end of the board).

I used half of a pond liner I got that would fit those 11'x5.5' dimensions plus 15" of height around the edge (I think the one I had was 10'x24' which worked out well when cut in half).

The recent haul from the sawmill had shittier wood (poplar) that would only get me a reasonable 10'x5' dimension, so that's what I built today. It's not as good as the first one, because the wood was not as dimensionally consistent... some was warped, inconsistent widths and depths, etc. Still, it was stupidly cheap because nobody else wanted it ($80 all in for probably twice the lumber I ended up using), but plenty good enough for a raised wicking bed that is pretty well out of sight behind the first one.

This is the first layer I laid down (didn't take any pics after that because I was too tired and could only drink a beer or take pics, and beer won out).

IMG_6058.jpg

I've now got the box built up 3 courses of a mixture of 10" and 8" widths.

Next step is to rent a little skid-steer with a bucket from Home Depot (only $180 for a day) and fill the base with sand, then put the liner in, fill with gravel (after inserting socked drainage tube), then cover with landscaping cloth, then fill with topsoil. That's on deck for when I get back from my fishing trip next week.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

After 38 seasons, Big Bang Thoery finally limped to the barn and took a long overdue coup-de-gras between the eyes.

Could America finally done with using pre-recorded laughter as a cue to fund non-jokes funny? That show fucking sucked. There were NO jokes. It was NOT funny. Anything on that show that could be related to real life happens strictly by coincidence. Just a bunch of nasally retards who mash together sentences of Geek Culture buzzterms and it’s just HILARIOUS.

Silicon Valley was so vastly superior.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

meh, call me crazy, but I don't mind it. Was it the best show on the planet? Fuck no. Sure, Silicon Valley is light years better, but so are so many other shows. But nothing says that it has to be some writing and comedy masterpiece in order to be somewhat enjoyable.

It was light-hearted and stupid but I enjoyed it. And just an FYI, it was a real audience that was providing the laughter, not a laugh track. Just sayin.

I actually watch/listen to episodes every night as I fall asleep. I have an iPad beside the bed that I let run for 90 minutes as I fall asleep... and whether it's Big Bang, Archer, Rick and Morty, Venture Brothers, or King of the Hill, it's what I fall asleep to... iPad sleeps after 90 minutes and I'm already asleep.

14. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I enjoyed the earlier seasons best. After a while the story just seemed played out and my interest faded away.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Much like How I Met Your Mother it probably ran about six seasons too long.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The Simpsons is still running as well. Does anyone actually watch that anymore?

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My daughter still loves it. I still love anything season 4-11, “The Golden Era” as they call it. Watching those old episodes it still blows my mind how satirically hilarious that show could be.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

That show was the height of comedy until about the movie came out (which came out a few years too late imo). I still make simpsons references in daily conversation and everyone looks at me like I'm an idiot. Now they're wanting to kill off Apu because he's insensitive to Indians? Right. Show me one gas station like that not owned by an Indian.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Sam Simon is the true force behind the show. It had its best seasons while he was showrunner and head writer, he left after season nine but they always kept his name in the credits because of the impact he had. Heartbreaking he passed away so soon.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Had a roommate move out in the middle of the night. He made it 2 whole weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.