Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL JUNK FOOD DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Focus: National junk food day- I am celebrating with chocolate pudding with chocolate ganache layer on top.

A personal favorite when it comes to overprocessed garbage are pizza flavored Combos. They give me dragon breath and salty farts and are totally worth it.

In the meantime we are having a garage sale with the neighbors. I did not realize how much I dislike my neighbors until now.

TGIF!

2. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's also National Scotch Day. I don't particularly care for Scotch, but in the spirit (pun intended) of the day, I do have a barrel aged Scotch Ale that I will put down in celebration.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Just no.

Capture.PNG

4. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

This woman is my neighbor's friend and she has been here for hours. I can't tell if she's Cajun, drunk, both, or drank so much in the past that her brain is fried and speech is messed up. She looks like a wrinkly overtanned ex meth addict. She looks ancient but I bet she's 40.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

None of the practicality with all the stiff, sweaty discomfort. That’s an anti-invention.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They've reverse-split their stock, and it's going full-speed-ahead
    to the bowels of the Earth right now...

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 2.06.23 PM.jpg

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I was quite surprised to find that the major backing play behind Moviepass was data analytics... they wanted to basically capture all the data from Moviepass and then cross-sell, up-sell based on that data. Seems like a bit of a stretch to me, for sure.

Can't remember the last time I went to a movie and then wanted to buy something because of that movie... never mind something that needed fancy data analytics to figure out.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    That McDonald's fight was here in Vegas, the manager's last name is Chavolla . An excerpt from an article that is hilarious:

"Chavolla’s boyfriend, who was seen on the video trying to calm her down, tried to explain why he didn’t intervene.

“I was not trying to stop it,” he said. “You don’t stop a big woman like that.”

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I assumed it was more user pattern analytics for time & location against demographics and that sort of thing . . . which I also thought was stupid. Everybody (me included) knew the model was not sustainable and users (me included) accepted it was just a matter of time.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It was probably part of it, but I read some of the investment pitches and it seems like their long-term goal was to make purchasing of in-movie placement materials really easy through their scene cards... basically bring the people in to the movies, market stuff via the movie (beyond simple movie soundtrack stuff), and then make it easy for them to purchase via their moviepass account/card/system.

It sounds like they were trying to wrap up the "magic" that is "big data analytics" with the need to increase revenue due to piracy and decreased movie turnouts, and that undercutting the price of the movie was seen as short-term incentive to get people out to the show in the first place.

They managed step one, but not step 2... so they paid for everyone's movies, but haven't realized the increased revenue tie-in.

I'm kind of surprised that they did something this volatile, this young in it's life cycle, via a public company that can be subject to such huge swings, like they've been seeing this week. At least with your typical private investment, it can generally weather the storm a bit better.

Oh well, I don't profess to be any kind of a business guy, so who knows...

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jungle Julia showed me that video last night, and we both remarked:
    " What is he doing? There's no way he's going to stop a gorirra like that."

Now we know.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The same dude (Mitch Lowe) that co-founded Netflix and was President of RedBox is CEO of Movie Pass (they're all red, whatever that means). I was an earlier user of Netflix, and it was MUCH cheaper and easier than renting from Blockbuster et al, and then when they added the streaming service, that was no extra cost. So, he has always done this idea that they hook you in with really good pricing, and then you enjoy the service so much you never cancel. (Plus, they put video stores out of business.) Anyway, I just assumed he knew what he was doing and eventually they'd just start raising prices like Netflix.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think they were taking the Uber approach... subsidize shit so much that you build a client base, and then you figure out how to monetize later.

The problem was I think they thought the public investment would be the same financial war chest that Uber has, when it appears that it's not.

#15 Nettdata, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went to see Bill Burr last night. He fucking murdered and it was awesome. Unfortunately, there was a small but loud group from Alabama there and kept yelling “ROLL TIDE” as loud as possible throughout the show. Burr is pretty good at dealing with hecklers but even this was starting to annoy him.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Hopefully he’ll wreck them on the podcast. It will no doubt start with “I tell you people, there were these FUCKING Alabama fans last week...”

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There’s always something obnoxious at his shows here. Last time, someone yelled that Caitlin Jenner was a “fucking science project” during his bit about her.

19. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You kind of have to appreciate that the website includes -25 dollars on its graph of stock prices.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How in the fuck did an Irish Boston asshole like Bill Burr not make absolute mincemeat out of a bunch of 'bamans serving up meatballs like "Roll Tide"? I would have expected a half hour monologue on cousin fucking before he let them leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.