Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL GUMBO DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reminds me of an old girlfriend for some reason.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Oh God, I just picked about 50lbs of concord grapes. I'll be lucky if I manage to clean and sort all of this in a day.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Sounds like a great way to murder your back

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Nice timing. I'm taking my 50th break from standing over the sink because my back killllls. On the plus side, it's every part of my back that is usually fine, so at least I'll be able to walk tomorrow. Priorities!

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This probably should go in the tech thread, but FYI . . .

If you use Firefox, and you just recently downloaded the update, and now the videos autoplay when you visit websites like news stuff . . . you have to change to a new setting. The about:config used to have a way to set the media.autoplay to boolean = false. But, in the new version, you have to set the one new autoplay integer to 1. (The default is 0. Set it to 2, if you want to set permissions.)

You're welcome.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m currently stuck in a high school parking lot with a car that won’t start and a very unhappy teenager. The Mrsanthropic is about an hour away running a fundraiser.

It sounds like the starter, but I don’t know where it is on this car and don’t have what I need to do much about it.

Luckily it’s early, and garage night hasn’t fully kicked in, so the guys are sober enough to send us a lift.

There goes my Friday.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you find it try lightly tapping it with a hammer while trying to start it.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    If the starter is hung up and just going thunk, this is usually the quickest temporary fix.

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve used this trick before, but the last time was 30 years ago on an ‘80 Impala. When I turn the key in the ignition it makes that fun clicking sound - I think it’s “Your starter is fucked” in automobile morse code.

We were given a lift home, so tomorrow am I l’ll be the crazy guy in the school parking lot banging on his car.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Could just be the battery or a cable. Possibly the solenoid. Usually the clicking is indicative of something peripheral to the starter, not the starter itself.

11. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes that sounds familiar now. Thanks for the idea. I know the battery and cables are fine.

12. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Batteries die in August and you find out they are dead in November when it gets cold. I bet that battery is older than you think.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You might also want to check the ground.

Odds are it's just a dead spot on the starter (which hitting it with a hammer "fixes" by slightly adjusting the starter to move ever-so-slightly out of that dead spot). (Unless it's a sticky solenoid and the hammer blow just jogs it loose... but if you hear a click and no starter, it's probably a dead zone).

They're surprisingly cheap to have rebuilt/reconditioned.

I took an old starter into an electric motor place, and they swapped my old one for a reconditioned one for about $30. If I was willing to wait a few days, it would have just been $30 to recondition my existing one.

14. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you talking about a super rapid clicking? If so, you might just need a jump start (and possibly a battery, like Puffman said).

That clicking is the solenoid trying - and failing - to pull the armature into position.

15. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, it’s a very rapid clicking. I’ll try a jump/battery first. Then maybe tap with a hammer. Then a crowbar across the grill for good measure. I’ll teach that car who not to screw with.

16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll bet you rep points that a good jump start will get it running. After you get it running, have the battery tested; you'll probably need a new one, BUT make sure that your alternator is working as well!

I've seen too many people replace a "bad" battery, only to find out that it went bad because the alternator wasn't charging it!

In non-car-related news, here's the Monster Magnet 2018 wrapup:

The Good: Monster Magnet FUCKING BROUGHT IT.
    Dave Wyndorf and Co. rocked the house like true badasses.
    We saw the show at the White Oak Music Hall in Houston, and the venue was wonderful. It's a smallish, two story place in the middle of a neighborhood. You're able to get very close to the action.
    Monster Magnet 2018 - 2.jpg

I don't know how a guy who doesn't work out has arms like that; I guess it's all the fist pumping.
    The setlist was great, and they played some of their old stuff that I never thought I'd hear live (ex: They played "Spine of God," an 8+ minute psychedelic track off of their first album as an encore. Also, I'm 99% sure that Dave did a huge rail of coke before coming back out on stage. ).

Jungle Julia was the hottest woman at the show (She wore a black dress that stopped at mid-thigh, fishnet stockings, and studded high heels), and Wyndorf was checking her out.
    This show was worth every penny, and they should have charged more. I paid $25 per ticket, but I would have paid $200 just for the chance to finally see these guys.

The Bad: The tech crew must have been having some issues, because I couldn't hear Dave Wyndorf's vocals that well; he told the sound guys to turn his mic up a few times, but even at the highest level, it still wasn't right.

Like I said before, the venue was wonderful, and we were right up next to the stage, but I feel bad that Monster Magnet doesn't get the recognition they deserve. This band is amazing, they've been around a long time, but they still only get real recognition in Europe. These guys should be playing at bigger venues for more money.

There was an ass print on one of the chairs at our hotel, but now that I think about it, that may have been Jungle Julia's...
    Monster Magnet trip - chair - ZZZZZZ - KIMG0201 - 2.jpg

The valets at the hotel we were staying at lost the key to my car (I'm currently driving my 5.4-swapped Mercury Grand Marquis), but they got me a new one for free, so win?

The Ugly: Right before Jungle Julia and I headed off for the show, we took Li'l Bandit to breakfast, and we ran into my ex-wife.

Did I mention that Jungle Julia and the Ice Cream Cake Girl have never met before? Jungle Julia refused to meet her, but this just happened.

No harsh words were exchanged (between them), but she was in a REALLY shitty mood for the whole 5+ hour drive to Houston.

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

battery, alternator, starter. problem with one cause cause one or both the others to die or have problems

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If Danny Carey auditioned for a children’s show:

...that was a joy to watch.

19. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks Idiots. Those of you who said battery were correct. On your advice I checked that first- I skipped the jump and just put a battery in. Started right up. I’ll check the alternator later today.

The fact that the lights were fine fooled me.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

We could probably use a happy story right now. One that restores our faith in human nature just a bit. Here it is: Just a few hours after winning the second game of the World Series, Red Sox star Mookie Betts was spotted feeding the homeless outside the Boston public library.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.