Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL GUMBO DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agree. In the slow motion part, you can see the left foot outside bump the platform and continue up, and then it looks like the right toes catch before continuing up to the top. That, along with the stride adjustment it seemed to make before hopping the log, is what is crazy. I know we're seeing what they chose to release, but, damn. The next generation will probably be making "robot army versus humans" ethical military decisions.

2. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Only my husband can tell me to go back to places! I think. I learned most of my how to marriage stuff from a book called Keep Her Under Your Thumb: A Man's Guide to Having It All, so it sounds right.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My company does a fair bit of work with robotics and machine learning. Think Heads Up Displays for large-scale mining equipment, etc. We do a ton of visual processing to determine 3D real-world position location information, and real-time feedback based on said visual information, along with Augmented Reality overlays.

It's scary just how fast that stuff can work... we have to intentionally slow it down in order for it to work at the scale we do.

Something that size, with even cheap, off-the-shelf sensors and signal processors, could do that insanely fast and still keep up without a problem.

I would so love to see video from where they tried to see just how fast they could go before shit went to shit... it would look surreal, I'm sure, because people still try and frame that kind of motion within their own human context.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you're currently posting from the kitchen or laundry room, you should be fine.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

His newest single, "Fuck You with the Lights On":

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So, my final garden harvest of the year was this:

IMG_5549.JPG

I then processed it all up into a chunky slurry/relish, added some malt vinegar, sugar, garlic, mustard seeds, etc, and now have this:

IMG_5552.JPG

It's been stewing in the fridge for a couple of days, and DAMN does it taste amazing. It's spicy as hell, but not insane.

The jars are in the dishwasher being sanitized, and tomorrow I'll be canning up about a dozen mason jars.

I think they'll make good Christmas presents for some family who enjoy spicy food.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Y'all have probably heard about the river flooding that has been going on town in Texas. It's made national news now that the water has taken out a few bridges and done millions of dollars worth of damages. The state governor has now declared it a disaster zone and they've done evacuations in parts.

Well, our family's lake house is on one of those lakes that flooded. Yesterday I left work in a hurry to stop by lowes, fill up my truck with a pallet of sand bags, and speed up there as fast as the roads and weather would allow. The lake, which is constant level (there's a power plant on there) rose up about a dozen feet. And since it's constant level, everyone builds right on the water line, I'm talking maybe a foot higher than it in places. And of course no one has flood insurance, because when it does flood, they just let water out of the lower dam to compensate.

I guess someone was sleeping on the job.

We were fortunate in that the water at it's highest stopped about two inches from coming inside the house, but we were prepared with several thousand pounds of sand bags. A kayak floated by (sans paddle) and I used a shovel as a makeshift way to paddle myself out to the dock and tie our boats off so they wouldn't float away (I was not about to go wading through flood waters, and yes I did have on a life vest and a safety rope attached to me which a sibling on dry land then held the other end). The only damage we sustained was just electronics and stuff on the docks, some kids toys that floated off, some chairs that went god knows where. All stuff that can easily be replaced.

But our neighbors had boats in their yards and crap. One person got a free dock, in the sense that a dock floated from up stream and crashed into theirs, destroying both in the process. We saw a bunch of houses that were underwater and will be a complete loss. There's already been some loss of life, and there will be a lot more.

Dodged a serious fucking bullet with that one. If I never see a flood again, I will die a happy man.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

But did you get a free boat?

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Free kayak, kinda. It's a hobie, which is an expensive sit on top, but it was damaged quite a bit during its trip to our yard and we're gonna ask around after this all blows over and try to find out who the rightful owners are.

We lost our paddle boat the kids play with and we've had for at least 20 years, but we're gonna try to find that too once the lake goes back to normal.

Right now, more rain is on the way and we're just crossing our fingers the people who operate the dams have their heads outta their asses this time around.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nobody won last night, so MegaMillions lottery is now at $900 million. It's hard to get my head around the possibility that one person might win that. Today I am eating at Golden Corral, tomorrow I am a billionaire. wtf

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man after taxes and lump sum payment that still would be fucking ridiculous. As a Canadian it would be worth the trip across the boarder to buy a ticket if I was closes enough.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So out of interest I decided to look up what you would get, 369mill to 417mill depending on state tax.

edit. 400mill usd is 522mill Canadian. One could only dream.

#92 wexton, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

“I will use this newfound money to eliminate homelessness. We start hunting them tomorrow.”

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Looking for a Halloween movie? Might I suggest Ghostwatch?...it started kind of a 1990's version of War of the Worlds hysteria in Britain. Now available on DVD. I just ordered a copy from Britain....it sounds hilarious.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I remember that. Scared the FUCK out of people over there. What incredible PR, better than the incredible moves the two guys who made Blair Witch pulled off.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Where you coming up with the other hundred mil?

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was rounding. If I actually had $900 million dollars, I'll bet nobody could distinguish my life from a billionaire.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Millionaires wear shoes. Billionaires just leather the entire outside of their property.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wonder what would happen if Maxwell House or Folgers used some good ol' murder, including curb stomping and an electric chair, to try and sell coffee today.

Mmm, delicious!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.