Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL GUMBO DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    When I had my '66 Impala there was a Donked '85 Monte for auction on e-bay. It was in Mississippi, so I put a bid in around $6000....I didn't want the car at all but it had a 450 horse small block in it. I was going to drop that in my Impala and the 350 from the Impala into the donk and sell it. I was just worried about someone seeing me in it while moving it. For better or worse, I got outbid by about $1000, I hope the new owner had the same plan as me and that engine ended up in something cool.

Also....today a random guy came up to me to ask me all about my car, I've missed that.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

That would be my dream retirement...owning a classic/custom shop. I just don't think my body could take it anymore (Especially my back.) It turns out that living about 40 years in a world made for people a foot shorter than you takes a major toll on your back and joints.

But, if I could figure out a way around that obstacle, that would be a dream job. I love working on cars (Older cars. I'm lost on the newer cars)....my first job, my buddy's dad owned a service station with 3 bays and lifts. We were allowed full access and spent many, many late nights in there building cars. We put together his '37 Dodge coupe with a small block Olds, my '37 Plymouth coupe with a 350 Chevy....and one of my more ambitious projects, a '50 Ford pick-up with a 392 Chrysler Hemi. I never got that one running. I got the Hemi in there, but there was far more engineering abilities needed then my 17 year old ass could provide. I yanked the Hemi and dropped a 327 in it, the truck still went like hell.

3. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Happens to me once in a while with the SS, but to most people it looks like a rental Malibu.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it takes a real car guy to recognize what you have, kind of like the last generation GTO's.

My car just screams 90's goodness with it's teal green paint....you don't see that color very often anymore. As much as I love my car, I have a feeling I'm going to pick up an LS-1 SS Camaro to be my keeper. That is if they somehow keep a reasonable price over the next few years. The only thing holding me back from making this one a keeper is the fact that it spent it's entire life on the Oregon coast and the salt air really did a number on the bolts and the aluminum under the hood.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Oh hell yeah... I'd love to see this concert...

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

When people ask me about my car, it usually paraphrases “Where’d you get that beaut? Did you steal it off a reservation?”

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Watching the weather channel, they've gotten into Panama City, Mexico Beach, Port Saint Joe, the places where Michael made landfall. Those cities are completely gone. At least with new orleans, there were still buildings in place so the city could kinda sorta function afterward.

Those places are all just rubble. It reminds me of Moore, Oklahoma after those tornadoes came through. Forget rebuilding, just burn off the rubble and relocate.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

50% funny, 50% infuriating to read. Who tacks amendments onto favours and deals?

There is this pseudo-“Borrowing Generation” that’s seemed to emerge in the era of of things likeGoFundMe, Air B&B and Craigslist: The world is your flea market, things should fall in your lap, and no sale is final.

The best are the people who go on classified ads to basically trumpet “I need this, It has to be EXACTLY like I want it, and I want it free”. Where is the Una-Bomber when you really need him?

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You just TRY and keeps your mitts off this, ladies:
    38A14624-0E91-4F1B-8303-73C7C2202E3D.png

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the shittiest things I remember about China is the constant bargaining for goods at street markets. Bargaining for every fruit and vegetable got old real quick and I’d just pay American prices to get on with my day. Only the lowest scum, car salesmen and Craigslist scammers, still practice this shit here.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8 minute video, but just absolute devastation.

https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...mage-from-mexico-beach-to-port-st-joe-florida

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No foreign military or other armed force has ever shot down an F-22 in nearly 15 years of active service. Climate Change just destroyed as many as two dozen of them in a weekend.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How do you know when to blame climate change versus a hurricane that would've happened without humans having raped and destroyed the planet? Is it the swirl pattern? Also, serious question - I thought they had relocated most of them prior, and only a couple frames and F-22 under repair were damaged. Where did you see that more than 24 were destroyed? That sucks.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It'll never be possible to attribute any specific damage or storm to climate change, but what we do know is that rising temperatures increase energy in the oceans which leads to stronger and more frequent storms. We also know that this storm gathered strength in an unprecedented fashion, and made landfall as the strongest storm in a quarter century. I don't think it's unfair to say that this is representative of climate change.

As for the F-22s, it is the nature of the beast that these things require a lot of maintenance and repair, and only a percentage are flight worthy at any given time. Tyndall is home to 2 fighter wings that fly F-22s for a total of 55 planes. Those that were flight worthy departed ahead of the storm, but there were still as many as 22 planes left to weather out the storm at the base. The F-22 as a platform averages a little under 50% mission ready status, so that number sounds about right. Exact numbers aren't available and likely won't be.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Tonight has been fun...

Yeah... "fun".

I had a big bucket of hot peppers that I wanted to make into a nice hot chutney/relish... some hot peppers of various degrees of ripeness, some tomatoes (red and green), some onions, garlic, vinegar, mustard seed, etc.

Proceeded to slice up and food process everything to the point that I now have 2/3 of a large soup pot full of this spicy slurry.

It only took about 2 hours to do, and despite my best precautions, my face has some minor chemical burns.

The pot is now stewing in the fridge and tomorrow I'll be canning it.

It should make for a nice spicy relish/goop for things over the winter.

Meanwhile, I took 2 showers, and my cats still won't come near me.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fun fact... copious amounts of Crown Royal and Ginger Ale reduces chemical burn induced face throbbing... and replaces it with a completely different type of throbbing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.