Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL EX SPOUSE DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So... I've made the decision to get in better shape, so I dropped some serious cash on a new mountain bike, which showed up today. Spent the night putting it together and getting it ready.

I used to practically live on a mountain bike... lived at the base of a killer mountain range in BC and biked it almost daily... commuted in Vancouver by bike for over 10 years... I was "mr mountain biker guy" in my crowd of friends. I enjoyed the spandex, them, not so much.

That was YEARS ago.... like 15? maybe 20?

I bought SPD pedals/clips/shoes for the new bike, and my friends who bike are laughing at me... but I lived on them for 10 years, so I figure I'll be able to deal with it.

We'll see how it goes.

You know, biking is like riding a bike... you never forget how to fall off.

Now if only this snow and ice will fucking go away.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Congrats man!!! I did road cycling for years. Got a bike right after my brain surgery and putting miles on it was how I dealt with the PTSD and all that. Plus it gets you into shape insanely quick. I miss those days when my thighs and calves were that fine line between big and gross.

Just remember with those clip in shoes, you gotta learn how to clip out in a hurry. It needs to be muscle memory. To like where when you're falling, you can clip out and catch yourself. Otherwise, broken collar bones and broken elbows are a bitch. Also, shave your leg hair. Your friends will give you shit for it, but the first time you fall (and you WILL fall) and get messed up, you'll be thanking every god you know of that you don't have hair on your legs to fuck up the healing process.

And on note related to cycling and falling, there's a reason I no longer cycle. People in cars are assholes.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I rode SPD's (and only SPD's) for over 10 years... and I've now got them set to be really loose to start with. I'm sure it'll come back almost immediately, and as it goes, I'll tighten them back up to be less forgiving.

But you're right... the very first day I rode with them (early 90's?) I was pumped at how great they were, and then I came up to a stop light, stopped, and went to put my foot down to balance the bike... and nope, I was still clipped in. I literally just came to a stop, and then ever-so-slowly fell over onto my right side. Thankfully I fell away from the car that was to my left, and he just looked at me like I was retarded when I got back up pretended nothing happened.

It was a learning experience, to say the least... and one that I haven't forgotten.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Well, it's Friday!

Know what that means?

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

How is that guy not insanely famous?

I hate heavy metal, but I would listen to that all day. And just as important, I would watch it. I understand why he considers himself a producer. The fills are there to cover the dead spots in the original song, and they do that and nothing more. The visuals are there to give you the sense that you're in the studio with him. Literally nothing is lacking in that video.

Everything is just so understated -- even the name, "Frog Leap Studios" -- that can't believe your ears. Then you see that crazy expensive equipment in what looks like just a basic run down studio.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's what I was saying when he was first mentioned on here, and he is getting famous.

He has a pretty interesting "vlog" playlist where he goes to music shows, etc, and he's just an insanely talented guy who has found himself a niche on YouTube.

The key to having really good YouTube content is to have a backlog of content that people want to watch, so you get tons of replays, and this guy has it... and he puts out a new video every Friday.

He's a good but not great musician, an excellent producer, and has a really good eye for video production.

And he has a fantastic personality and sense of humour... just watch the endings of all of his videos... each one is a different take on "please buy my music" that are hilariously well done.

It's the kind of YouTube content I can get behind 100%.

For example:

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know what you're saying, but I would argue that while he may not be a great guitarist or a great drummer, but his ability to play so many different instruments well qualifies him as a great musician.

And, he doesn't just pick certain songs - he picks hugely popular ones. His versions of Hello, Africa and that Mmmbop for instance are superbly produced, and the originals already had fantastic production. That's a tough challenge.

8. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are they the ones going 30% of the speed limit while running red lights and failing to stop at stop signs, all while not paying taxes on said roads?

Just kidding I have no issue with cyclists. But every local subreddit I subscribe to has the debate once a month.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My point was he's not known for being a good technical player... he's a good player who produces amazing arrangements with what he plays. His actual playing is not that spectacular... as in it's something that I could kind of pull off. But figuring out the cover's arrangement in the first place? And then recording it? Then producing it? Then shooting a video for it? Then editing that video? No fucking way. Put it all together and he's something special, for sure.

And to think that he's just getting better and better every week as he puts in those 10k hours.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Interesting behind-the-scenes video from him:

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I think he's the perfect example of "know your lane."

Isn't the best at any of the instruments he plays. IS the best at producing watchable content.

Anyone else plays one of those instruments like he does, they play that, cover songs, put it on youtube and call it a day.

The true talent is in realizing the difference between what you're good at, and what you're great at, and then leveraging your resources to highlight what you're great at.

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.