Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had tickets to see soundgarden in Houston which was the next show on their tour. But he never made it here.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

No matter how cool you think he is, no matter how much of an influence on a generation he was, no matter how much you want to say “At least I got to see him live”...

....do NOT go see Bob Dylan. Resist. Third Eye Blind is a better show and we booed them off the stage. Bob Dyla the fucking worst live show in the entire universe. He’s so terrible it almost seems like a prank that he’s charging you over $100 to listen to eight songs you’ve both never heard AND can’t understand at all. It would be more productive to light your money on fire: at least then you watch it vanish into thin air.

3. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

+1 can confirm. I went to see him maybe 15 years ago and I was a very sad, disappointed little teenager after that show. It started more than 2 hrs late, he aggressively avoided looking at the audience, and just mumbled some songs into the keyboard he was playing. He seemed tortured being there. I can only imagine it’s gotten worse since then.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He was an utterly unlikeable human being in his prime, and miserable in his older years. Aside from his top-of-the-food chain songwriting skills I often what what people see in him at all.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first Bonnaroo I went to my friend, who was a huge Dylan fan, told me to skip it and go see String Cheese Incident who was playing at the same time. He said to walk through the crowd if you wanted to say you’ve seen him live. He wasn’t wrong. Dude sounded like his vocal chords had been dragged down a gravel road for forty years. I remember TheBunny nuking a thread on the RMMB about past their prime acts that should hang it up when I brought him up.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Similar story for me with Tom Petty. Went to New Orleans Jazz Fest Day 1, saw the Alabama Shakes and a few other acts. Was planning to go to Day 2, but it was absolutely pouring rain and I hadn't paid for my ticket yet, so I bailed and focused on food for the day. Petty played Day 2 and died later that year.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There are a few bands of my past that I refuse to go see for fear of having my soul crushed... top of that list is Van Halen.

New Van Halen is a depressing geriatric show... everyone I know that has seen them recently was depressed after the fact.

Thanks, I'll continue to live in my 80's live show memories of what they once were.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Saw Tom Petty in Houston a few months before he died. Great show. Glad I got to see him when I did. The Cornell thing was, and still is a gut punch.

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This Friday I’m going to see Y&T at a local venue. They were my favorite 80s metal band, but were only big in California (they’re a Bay Area band), England and Japan, specifically. They rarely played in the NY area so I never got to see them until now, when all the original members have died except the lead singer/lead guitarist, who also wrote most of their songs.

I’m thinking I may be very disappointed, but 30+ years after their prime I guess I can’t expect top form.

10. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My parents saw Dylan here about 30 years ago and said that it was one of his signature crap shows. He came back about a year later and some of their friends went and claimed that he actually put on a great show. Maybe it was possible that at one time he could occassionally deliver, but no way I would chance it now.

I saw Soundgarden a few weeks before Cornell died and thought that it was an awful show. There are some YouTube videos up from that show that all actually sound pretty good, so I may have had a bad seat, but it was at a venue that has a good reputation and where I had never seen a bad show (the Fox Theatre in Atlanta).

I almost saw Tom Petty a few months before he died but I was tired and decided not to buy a ticket last minute. I deeply regret that now.

I passed on paying the high price to see Sir Elton when he came for his farewell shows last year, but as it turns out he is coming back again later this year. I am still on the fence about it.

11. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I regret not seeing Rush again before they retired.

But that pain is easily soothed since:

a) I've seen them twice before (Vegas and Chicago)
    b) They're still alive. So if they did tour again, I'd get another chance

12. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We saw Kris Kristofferson in Seattle and it was a pretty straightforward concert. Hearing a highwayman live was pretty awesome and Merle’s
    son Ben sounds eerie like him.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Just spent about 6hrs watching mouse and rat trap videos from YouTube with my dad and brother. Time well spent.

15. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I saw Leonard Cohen and John Fogerty here in London over the last few years... both great shows.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Fogerty was absolutely incredible. The guy is an alien. To have that peerless singing voice sound so good still after all these years.... he’s a genuine freak of nature in the best way possible.

18. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I passed on seeing Petty on his last tour, because I didn’t wanna spend the money and I checked the setlist and saw it was mainly his newer stuff. Not that it’s bad, I wasn’t just more willing to spend the money if it was the classic hits. So that backfired.

When the news broke that Prince died, I found out through a friend with connections that he was planning a pop-up show at the Grand Ole Opry House the next month - one of the “Prince and a Piano” shows.

We did get tickets to see Elton John later this year. And I’m gonna try and see Paul McCartney while he’s still around. My other bucket list concert is Randy Newman, who is one of my personal favorite songwriters. And if Barenaked Ladies tours with Steven Page again, I’m there.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Wedding I'm going to officiate is this saturday. Wife asked me why I'm not nervous (she's shitting buckets over a like 2 min speech she has to give).

I showed her this video. She didn't think it was as funny as I did.

20. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That show was criminally underrated.
    Another good sketch off of The Upright Citizens Brigade was the fortune cookie sketch.
    I'd link to it, but I'm on my phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.