Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL DRINK A BEER WITH YOUR LAZY MUM DAY[NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was awesome.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Glad to hear it.

3. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot are pedophiles to. Or so that what you mean by vicariously?

When I was in little league my parents told me that I was never allowed to go anywhere alone with the coach. I later found out this was because he was an accused pedophile. My parents both worked in the courts, so they were privy to some info about it. 10 years later he was sentenced to prison for mollesting two kids that played with me.

I’m not sure what’s more weird, that they let the accused coach or that my parents let me play for him.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

If he was just accused and not found guilty, then there would be nothing to legally prevent him from coaching (unless there were other related charges which might show up on a background check or have ramifications regarding his ability to work with children). If your parents were privy to more info, such as the veracity of those reports, then that's a shitty job of parenting on their behalf.

5. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just think it’s weird.

I coach elementary school basketball for my sons. 4-5 hours a week between games and practices. Travel baseball it’s no less than 25.

My neighbor set his son up on a team where they’re planning on playing together throughout high school. These kids are 7.

Then there’s game time where one coach will chew out his kid in front of everyone or another has outbursts.

It becomes a cult of sorts where the families all eat and play within that group for months at a time. There’s a strong groupthink mentality. I just think it’s way too much, especially for kids in elementary school.

My son loves it so I let him play. I’m just not a fan.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My nephew plays in Toronto, and he's 9.

One of his teammates has a personal basketball coach that coaches her 5 hours a week. My nephew doesn't mind as he's invited often to help run drills... but it just boggles my mind.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Damn my family couldn’t be more opposite about sports. I wrestled for a fall and spring season one year and I fucking hated it (mostly because I have terrible asthma and conditioning blows). My mom came to one of my meets because my friends’ moms told her it was the last one of the year. I do wish I’d have played baseball.

8. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I started wrestling at 4, football at 6. You are right about the conditioning work in wrestling Kubla, srs business.

We didn't have travel team, but I have to hand it to my father, we would go from my normal wrestling season (and team) right in to freestyle, where I competed as an independent. What a pain in the ass for the old man, up at 5:30 am every Saturday for years, driving me all over the state. At the time I did NOT get how much he was putting aside to be a constant part of that. Things were not always perfect between us, but my adult hat is off to the guy.

I DO think that we are making our children adult too much too fast in some ways, but every individual has their own way to strive and thrive. I think it is up to that kid, that family to decide if it fits them.

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My mom would not let me get any Lego Technic sets when I was a kid in the late '80s. AND I FUCKING LOVED LEGOS.
    She said that they were for "older boys."

Thanks, Mom. That is one of the MANY reasons why I'm glad you are dead.

10. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So tell us how you really feel.

11. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I asked for Legos for Christmas one year. I got my dad’s musty ass Lincoln Logs instead. Not the same at all. Legos have endless designs, Lincoln Logs have one with no accessories.

You know how embarrassing it is to have friends over with their Legos making airplanes and your ass has a log cabin with no people? Thanks mom and dad, Duplo would’ve been a better choice.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I never got Legos as a kid, I got Meccano. It was fun, but it wasn't Lego.

Yeah, I buy myself Lego now. Don't judge.

13. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bought the Millennium Falcon. I didn’t realize it takes appx 8 hours to build.

A couple days into it my kids found the pieces and shit goes everywhere. I lost dozens of pieces, said fuck it, and threw the whole thing away.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... there is the Falcon kit, and then there's THE FALCON KIT.

The one that is in my wish list is the 7,500 piece collector's edition.

https://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Millennium-Ultimate-Collector/dp/B075NT1KHB

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We had some lego knockoff with limited pieces and no specialized pieces or kit. The pieces didn't snap together as snugly as real legos either. Not much fun.

Then when I was around 11 or younger for Christmas I got a Knex kit with a solar panel and motor. Later a tall tower thing. I think it was a pretty inexpensive brand when it first came out and was the cheap alternative to legos. I spent a ridiculous number of hours tinkering with those sets. The solar panel + motor was rad when I was 11. Probably one of the more favorite possessions as a kid.

16. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While we’re having a nostalgia party... Did anyone else have Capsela as a kid? I remember building some dope amphibious cars and then wasting tons of water, insisting on filling the bath tub up so I could cruise them around the water.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yup. The sets are collectors’ items now.

I loved LEGO and still get jazzed up when I take my nephew to the LEGO Store when he visits. The final constructed items never lasted long and ended up in a big mixed up bin like every other kid.

The most nostalgic thing I’ve done is buy replica red plastic cups from Pizza Hut off Amazon. Wife was not impressed.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My brother got one when I was too young to understand them, by the time I had aged into it we had lost most of the pieces. Never got into legos. Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters toys are what I had. The big nostalgia thing in my area was Johnny's Toys (a local toy store, lol) that had a "birthday castle." They sent you a key to the castle every year in the mail for your birthday and you got to pick a free, read<1$, toy. Still brilliant marketing and something I always look fondly back at.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Sounds like you were being groomed. Everything ok?

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I had the biggest GI Joe collection ever. I had practically everything but the 7-foot aircraft carrier, which my friend next door had. I also had Transformers, including the monstrous Omega Supreme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.