Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL BUTTERED RUM DAY 1/17/20 [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Wow... I follow a guy named Doug Jackson on YouTube, channel called SV Seeker... dude is building a boat in his front yard. "The boat the internet built". He's a hell of a force, and has a very optimistic and motivating outlook on life. Left his day job as an Oracle DBA to go build himself a boat that he'd run as a charity for marine science expeditions.

Saw there was a new video this morning, and it turns out that he kind of blew himself up. Was doing some oxy work in an enclosed space, and "boom". Scarily enough, one of the guys helping him there was taking some selfie-video, and captured the explosion on video, right after having a couple of words with Doug.

You could not have scripted it any better... he gets down off the ladder, walks over 20 feet to a boat, "here I am, just getting ready to sand more stuff... another dreary day on SV Seeker... BOOM".

It's pretty serious stuff right now... dude's going in for emergency brain surgery due to the head injury he sustained... they even show his head scans.

I guess it's just a reminder to (a) not do stupid stuff like run Acetylene in enclosed spaces before you spark it up, and (b) live each day to the fullest, because you never know when life is going to shit on you.

Hopefully he comes back... but man, brain injuries are scary stuff. I remember how Larry Miller just fell down at one of his shows and was gone for months, only to kind of disappear as he started down the path to recovery.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Imagine living in a place where the zoo animals are on the same side of the glass as you are. And you may or may not be the noon feeding.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

and brain injuries last for fucking ever! 12.5 years later and I still have no short term memory. All my in laws made fun of me for wearing a ski helmet until my father in law fell hard then it was like oh that’s why (he’s ok).

what really scares me too are eye injuries. I always wear eye pro if I’m doing any work that has a potential of stuff flying (wood working and sawdust qualifies). I’m paranoid about it.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Man... it was a "prank"... pretty shitty, if you ask me.

I'm glad he's OK, but yeah, I'm a bit pissed off.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's pretty shitty.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah. I can see a bit of his sense of humour in it, but man, he totally pissed off a TON of his subscribers and Patreons, who are funding this little adventure of his. His reaction of "don't like it, want to unsubscribe, then bye" sounds really fucking preachy.

He's calling it a "social experiment"...

It might end up fucking him over in the long run.

Time will tell, I guess.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You’re not alone, he’s losing subscribers by the thousands every hour. His comment section in not flattering, I am surprised he hasn’t turned them off.

And “social experiment” is the lie people say when they know they’ve fucked up trying to get the public’s attention. What it was.... was a fuck-up. He was stupid and fucked up, that’s what he should have said.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

one might even say he’s sinking his ship?

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What a douchebag thing to do.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Wow... the comments in that video are going nuts.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

so assuming he even finished the boat, would anyone hire him as a captain now?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Who knows... as some people have pointed out, it's a weird way to showcase to the world your state of mind for a role like Captain, who's supposed to protect you at sea based on his decisions.

It'll be interesting to see if this is just quickly forgotten, or if it fucks him over long-term.

13. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, this isn't quiet.

Attached Files:

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

how many government contractors does it take to fix a pothole?

2. one to fix it, the other to watch him fix it.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You totally forgot about the 2 guys in 2 trucks watching the guy watching the guy fix it.

16. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Supervisors.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Never mind how those numbers skew when you hit a cold climate, like Canada... you'd be amazed at how many people can fit in the cab of a pickup and watch some shithead hammer a shovel into frozen ground.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Well shit. Got back from Colorado a few days ago, my eldest son got hit with the flu. Went to the doctor today and apparently I now have it as well. I get sick MAYBE once a year, so this is really weird for me.

On the funny side, my wife was trying to hang a picture and I offered to help her before she knocked a hammer-sized hole in the wall. She got snarky and said she doesn't always need my help..... we'll see how she does with all the jars in the fridge who's lids I just tightened.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Don’t forget the flaggers. We have a nimrod with a stop/yield sign at each end of the “worksite”.

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Outside of where I work they're building a road. They've accomplished maybe, MAYBE a mile and a half in the last 6 months. Despite driving by them at least twice every day I've never seen more than 20% of the staff working at any given time. 20% would be a very good day. 0-5% would be a not so good day. Not even kidding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.