Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] MOVIE NIGHT [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, Jun 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Canada, you okay?

The idea of the car stalling out in the middle of that.... holy fuck

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There were some crazy videos that came out of the NorCal fires a few years ago that were even more nuts. There was one where a guy hid in a stream while the fire passed over, and the video was the aftermath where he was just going car to car finding the charred bodies of his trapped neighbors. Shit was crazy.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I hired someone who evacuated one of those fires.... I think it was the Paradise fire? They said they drove past burnt out cars with charred bodies in them. Packed whatever they could in their car and drove straight to Texas where they had family.

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was a nurse during one of the Norcal fires that used his Toyota Tundra to ferry patients out of there. It was so hot that the plastic on the truck was melting. Toyota gave him a new truck which was awesome of them.

Attached Files:

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Happy Movie Night (day)! @Crown Royal , now is your moment. What do you have queued up for the evening? In my mind, you are The Movie Guy.

upload_2023-6-9_16-59-51.png

Canada is going through a blazing end to their spring. Summer will be a doozy. Y'all be safe. Do any of our Canadian idiots need to evacuate?

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It
    It’s funny… I’ve driven across the country and most of the way back and not a single issue. No fires, no smoke, just the occasional heat wave and shitty fishing.

Staying back at Neys on the Northern shore of Lake Superior and it’s fucking cold but clear.

Hoping all the shit air and smoke blow away by the time I have to actually go home.

Tonight I be fucking hammered and will be watching John Wick 4.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And it isn't even fire season yet.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The fires would tend to differ.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did we just all come mid drunk thread?

I’m hopefully getting some railroad ties tomorrow to build some raised beds. Then hopefully making some liver sausage. That’s my weekend plans.

10. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yuck, dude, keep it to yourself.

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Old railway ties are the worst. You can't get rid of them if you every need to because of the creosote

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Ahhh, the distinctive smell of the cul-de-sac down the street from my childhood home...

13. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Will the creosote help keep pests away?

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have an older cousin that lived in Paradise his whole life, he had his family home that he inherited from my aunt and uncle years ago. His pics of what was left of the house and the area in general were pretty raw. He also relocated. Brutal.

16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's why you burn them.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Starting tomorrow, Reddit communities are "going dark" to protest changes that would hurt third party apps. Specifically, many of these apps provide tools that allow the mods to do work that they otherwise couldn't do, since reddit's app fucking sucks. Basically reddit wants to charge them an exorbitant fee to "link" for lack of a better word (someone smarter than me can explain it better) so reddit itself, a fee which is so cost-prohibitive that they simply can't function.

Some of these communities are essentially going offline for two days, others are doing so permanently until significant changes are made.

Here is a website with a list of all subs participating, updated in real time.

Normally I'd kind of shake my head thinking this is a toothless protest, but it comes at a time when reddit is trying to convince investors that it's worth a shitload of money ahead of it's IPO. And the subs mods -- many of whom allowed the users to vote on whether or not to join the protest -- are giving them the middle finger.

Time to sit back and watch the chaos.

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a little discussion over here in Tech Talk.

What Reddit is going to charge for is access to their API. Basically, when you visit a site with a web browser, the whole site is rendered for you - the layout, the formatting, the fonts, etc. The API is there so that a consumer who doesn't want all that formatting - for example, who just wants to consume the content, or who wants to format it/present it in another way - can receive the structured data in a way that's predictable and can be interpreted by a machine.

An API might return a post like this:
    posted_on_date: 2018-05-20
    posted_on_time: 16:23:42 UTC
    poster: Revengeofthenerds
    original_post_contents: "Oh man, I broke my elbow for the third time this year!"
    last_edit_time: 18:05:05 UTC
    current_post_contents: "Oh man, I broke my elbow for the third time this month!"
    allow_replies: true

They can make an API request that says, "give me all the posts for this thread" and when they get it back they can predictably format and display it. Not just regular site browsing apps, but also accessibility apps like screen readers who can help blind people navigate.

Reddit can and should charge for their API because it costs them money to operate. But they set the pricing such that it's just financially infeasible for anyone to use it, and they set that pricing with 30 days notice - basically, "fuck off everyone."

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

20. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My wife and I tried it when we were in Quebec City and loved it. We wound up buying a few bottles and drinking them during the rest of our trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.