Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] MISTING DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I plan to buy another sailboat and go off galavanting around again, hopefully within ten years. I can't imagine how different living like that could be after another decade, 17 years total. What will hurricane season avoidance look like then? Will the safe zones I'm used to be changed, considerably smaller areas not affected by named storms?

I'm pretty satisfied with where we settled. Our lake can come up 20 feet above normal pool elevation and not flood any homes and we're probably another 30 above the top of the emergency spillway. Flooding isn't an issue for us, tornadoes are rare, knock on wood, hurricanes bring rain but the winds are usually stunted by the time they get here. If predictions are correct for how much sea levels will rise when the ice all melts away, the drive to the ocean will be shortened to under 2 hours, rather than 5.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

come visit the Texas hill country. Too far south for tornadoes, too far north for hurricanes. No wildfires, earthquakes, or issues with freezing. Plus it’s beautiful and dirt cheap to live.

3. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I sold all of my old Magic: The Gathering cards about 2 years ago. Only got ~$2,700 for them, but at least I probably got a little less than I had spent over the years.

4. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was obsessed with Batman and the Power Rangers as a kid. After a few searches on Ebay, I'm pretty sure that there is nearly $10k worth of toys in my parents' attic if they haven't been ruined by the leaky roof.

5. Wut

Wut
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Pittsburgh isn’t a bad option, no weather disasters, no earthquakes, etc., I had clients who were preppers who moved there for the stability. January and February are damn cold and March is just slush and cold rain, but otherwise it isn’t bad.

Cost of living is reasonable and it’s a decent sports and cultural city.

6. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Selling right now may be a decent idea, depending on the value of the cards. On the other hand, there are a lot of late 20's early 30's guys starting to see the value in investing in alternative markets. Off the top of my head, I know 6 people who have shifted a 1/4 of their portfolio, ~250k, into trading cards/art/jewelry. They are obviously going for high value, highly sought after pieces, but there is definitely a growing market for things like that. One of the guys has been buying up PSA 9+ Black Lotus magic cards and has accumulated 7 of them so far.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a pretty extensive post on one of the FIRE websites talking about alternative investment vehicles about 2 years ago that sparked the current market.

7. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

We spent 6 days in New Braunfels for our honeymoon (her boss rented a condo for a month but had to come back unexpectedly - offered it to us for the last week) and I love the Hill Country. Beautiful area. But Texas summers? No, I'm trying to escape that kind of heat.

I briefly thought about Pennsylvania. I actually don't know much about the state except that you do have pretty decent sports in Pittsburg.

I'm hoping I don't have to make a move for a few more years. In a couple of years I'll be fully vested in my employers pension (how many companies still have that?) and other retirement benefits. So until I retire, I have to look into cities where they have other major systems should something happen here and force my hand.

But hey, I am open to hearing the pros and cons of the various different areas.

Edited to add: Starting to get some intermittent heavy rains now. Not much wind. About to call it a night. We'll see how much sleep we get.

#87 sharkhead nachos, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If you like baseball, it’s one of the best places on the planet to go see a game. That I know. And Michael Keaton will probably be there.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It rarely works like that, because the county/parish or state would get really concerned if dozens of people just fucked out real quick....that tax revenue is an issue.

The flood insurance business is the ugliest thing we deal with. A hurricane that's just wind and storm surge is a nightmare, true...but it's not the kind of nightmare you revisit every time there's a thunderstorm. And some places just flood way too easily...

Happy Hurricane Delta Day everyone: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Delta

There are some really dope spots in VA, away from all the DC madness. I am very partial to the Shenandoah Valley. FWIW, Harper's Ferry in WV is absolutely gorgeous along the river.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Appalachia and the Great Smokies are hidden gems. A decent metro area city you could live on the outskirts of? Id be down for moving.

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nashville, Louisville, Charlotte, all have some appeal. The research triangle as well.

12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My cousin was murdered yesterday morning, beaten and shot. I'm pretty sure it's gang related. He always ran with a shitty crowd and worried his mom to death. He survived being shot 2 years ago at age 18.

So glad his brothers and sister have avoided that trouble and made something of themselves. Perhaps their mom will not have to live through this pain again.

13. Wut

Wut
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

PNC Park on a summer evening is pretty close to heaven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.