Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] MISTING DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We are ramping up everything from Texas to Florida.

With COVID there will be a run on hotel rooms, so book now. Already seeing that on my end.

Also we aren't getting clear information on testing availability in some of these areas, so....bring masks and use them.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

how excited are you to go back to LA?

3. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At least the food will be good, although maybe a bit damp.

4. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Never left. Sigh.

I like it here fine, but I was happy to have mission accomplished and smoke popped.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

So like... My entire family.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

well there’s probably gonna be a lot of beach front property available soon. Near like Baton Rouge

7. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Plans are as follows, depending on projected strength at landfall (dependent on it staying it's current course... which all models seem to agree upon)

Cat 1 - ride it out
    Cat 2 - have vehicle packed, ready to roll at least 12 hours before landfall.
    Cat 3 and above - GTFO

As I mentioned, one of the step-daughters has a house in Shreveport for us to bug out to. She's already getting the guest room ready and my wife filled up my vehicle when she went on a last minute grocery run today.

We can be packed and ready to go with the essential and important stuff in less than 30 minutes. That's packing irreplaceable keepsakes/pictures/important documents and my guns as well as clothes and some home office equipment (monitors and such) to keep me working if need be.

I am not so much worried about flooding this time, the consensus seems to be this storm should not stall out and hover over any area for too long. I'm much more worried about the wind this time as this appears that the eye will pass very near to us.

I should note that my wife is ready and willing to evacuate but she remains skeptical that we're actually going to get a direct hit, based solely on how much the past few storms moved around in the final hours before landfall.

Just by sheer dumb luck, I had already scheduled vacation days for Thursday and Friday in an effort to use up some days instead of losing them at the end of the year. At this point, that almost looks like a sign to go ahead and bug out.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Less than a 30 min packup time is pretty good. That's the good thing about hurricanes, you really have time to prepare. Sucks how frequent they are these days though, but now you just never need to unpack that emergency bag! @downndirty Does that apply to you too?

It took us about 40min to get our shit together when the fires were close by. We were kind of caught offguard though. Now that we've done it once we at least have an idea of what to grab. Should shave off a good 10 min.

9. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The flood in 2016 was a big eye-opener and practice run. The neighbor was pounding on our front door @ 5 AM to let us know that we had water in our backyard. 30 minutes later we had packed the essentials and got a call that the road we live on would closing at both ends. We then looked around for things we "wanted" to keep. 10 minutes after that a friend called to say we had 5 minutes. At that point we jumped in the truck and left.

Now, due to just moving around several times since then, we basically just keep the stuff in rubbermaid containers that can be grabbed and moved easily. I don't have "a lot" of guns nor are they particularly expensive, but with the market being what it is making it hard to replace them and a couple having sentimental value, most will travel with me with the lesser valued ones stored high up in a closet. If the water gets to them, I have a MUCH bigger problem to deal with.

I also think what helps is my wife and I are perfectly willing to accept that whatever doesn't get packed will be written off forever. Once the door is locked behind us, all that stuff is gone. If it's still here when we get back, well we count those blessings.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I found these plant based protein powders that are high in fiber. Blended some up with ice, a banana, peanut butter, brewer's yeast, coco powder. I haven't added it up officially but I think I drank over 12g of fiber.

[​IMG]

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

this thing is shifting west now. Watch it take the same track as Laura

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We are here, and not going anywhere. Worst case scenario, we camp in the office for a few days. We have droves of folks rolling in.

Its wild that we have a storm this intense at this point in the year.

Shelter is going to be a problem, and depending on wind and rain, the communications will be an issue. Some folks still don't have internet, and they are quite annoyed with the local provider.

Hopefully, we aren't seeing much flooding.

But we are 48 hours out from landfall, and need people to get the fuck out of dodge.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

last I heard, the exact area this thing is headed, also still doesn't have power from Laura right? And this is supposed to be more of a wind event than a rain event. All that time and resources, down the drain. Start from scratch, except worse this time.

I've never been so happy to not live on the coast

14. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They have temporary power. Only a few folks are still out (out of the 200k in Lake Charles).

I have been preaching that the cost isn't worth it, as the taxpayer increasingly subsidizes it, but...you can't make communities pack up and move.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Pripyat managed.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

O rly?

694290C4-E786-4754-BD0F-E5EA6316B3DA.jpeg

17. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well WE can't.

Any of yall want to argue with Cajuns about going somewhere dry, be my guest.

C1BbQU_UoAAZfW5.jpg

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

At least he was kind enough to supply them with some nice, clean blankets during the cold nights.

19. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not that she’ll see this, but my wife is a saint who has put up with me for 20 years today. I know I sometimes made the first ten years difficult, but it’s definitely gotten easier the second ten.

We don’t buy gifts. Instead we go to dinner at a nice restaurant a few miles from here and get whatever we want. Far more practical and enjoyable.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I didn't buy your book and thus, know your real name, I'd wonder if you were my brother as he is celebrating his 20th anniversary today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.