Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] LUNAR NEW YEAR [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get that, I just...I don’t know. I feel like somebody telling ‘Nerds that they don’t have any food, might actually be saying “we don’t have any food we WANT to eat, and you look like you have your shit together, soooo.....”

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

power goes out, stuff in the fridge spoils, not enough in the pantry because they just assume that they can always run to the grocery store or a restaurant at any given moment. My brother waited in line for two pizzas, outside, for two hours today. We have food they were welcome to, but they "want to get it on our own." It was a pride thing, apparently.

Yeah, so did we. That's why we have enough food to not run to the grocery store for weeks at a time if we needed. Out of curiosity I did a brief check today, and we still have enough for at least a few months if we were actually careful and not just eating what we want, when we want. The grocery store is a convenience, and restaurants are a luxury. Not everyone views them like that though.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

the local walmart had to close because they were literally out of food. Nothing left. At all. This is the "country" where people say shit like "see that deer? That's my grocery shopping." Yeah, well looks like it actually isn't huh there bubba?

4. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I grew up in a family where letters from the bank threatening to take our house were a common occurrence. I got used to making pasta last, and eating rice and beans.

Beer fridge was always fully stocked, but that’s a whole other can of beer.

5. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are people here in tarrant county with food and no means to cook. They have water and no means to boil. The bars and brew houses are boiling water for people to come get free of charge. They’re donating hot meals for kids and families. I’ve shared a lot of their information on my social media, plus donated funds.

For people living paycheck to paycheck and budgeting meals, this is catastrophic.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

7. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've seen some bare cupboards before. The typical college apartment shared by three roommates that spent all there money on Southpaw or Bud Ice 40's and good weed. And, sadly, in the apartments I maintained. Some families had food and ate like kings, some did not even appear to eat at home. Seeing it led me to do more for the local food bank.

I could survive, I think, for a week just off what's in my snack cabinet. I may put on 10 pounds and come down with scurvy, but I wouldn't die with an empty stomach.

8. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Husband volunteered with Team Rubicon for awhile last year and man food banks have been stressed for awhile. the fact they can rise up right now is something else.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just saw this pic of the plumbing aisle in Texas Home Despot somewhere... speaks volumes...

[​IMG]

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've seen our store throw a bunch of stuff out due to power outage that was probably still perfectly edible and covered by insurance. They stick an employee out there to guard the dumpsters to make sure it goes to waste. The employee said most of it went into the dumpsters still cold.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

That would be one of our friends/coworker/babysitter. No water or electricity, car out of gas, no food. Her and her boyfriend bundled up in the middle of the storm and went walking to find food. Sadly they lived too far away and we could not get to them, but at least payroll went through and she will be fine, as will the several hundred individuals who also are waiting on that money.

And during all of this, some people have the goddamn balls to E-mail and ask when they are getting a refund for their inclement weather days. Because clearly there are not people who rely on that money in order to keep food in their stomachs.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

when the HEBs (grocery store chain) lost power, whomever was in the stores got free food. They couldn't take alcohol for legal reasons, but they were told to take what they could carry to their cars in the carts otherwise it would go to waste. This happened in multiple areas and there have been zero (reported) issues. There are a lot of stories out there of people doing bad things, but there is plenty of beautiful humanity as well.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There are twenty thousand varieties of parts in those two aisles, so have fun if you don’t know what you’re looking for.

It is out of control down there. People are suffering while the people in charge lie and skip out on them.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

self checkout gonna be lit

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That 23 year old sales associate "expert" gonna be crying in a corner somewhere.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s ridiculous. They train them for three days to know everything about that section. And they stick one, MAYBE two of them in there to handle everyone.

Fuck that place. You’re better off looking for work out in the store parking lot with the Latinos downing all the Monster energy drinks.

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2DCBC279-EC1A-43BB-B3DB-CF5F44952945.jpeg

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

19. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to buy sharkbite stock right now. It has to the the next GME. Those look like push-to-connect-type plumbers.

20. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot of people in Austin were without power and/or water since early Monday. Most have gotten power back today. A lot still don't have water.

I've been lucky enough to have power this whole time. I have helped out friends where I could giving them food and letting them charge their phones and such.

The water went out for me about noon yesterday. For reasons I don't yet understand, the heater works off of the water heater somehow so I don't have heat. It's like 64 in my apartment, so it's not that bad. With no running water, I'm using a 5 gallon bucket to get water out of the pool to flush the toilet. That's been fun

I'm generally well provisioned on a regular basis, so food and water aren't a problem, but I'm down to a 6 pack of beer. Guess I will have to switch to whiskey.

I do know that I am going to give something like this to everyone I know one for Christmas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.