Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] LOTTO DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jul 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That is an incredible shot, dude! Well done.

What kind of setup did you use to get that? Just a DSLR on a tripod? I see a bit of very minor drift so I'm assuming no tracker, exposure under a minute? What kind of settings?

2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice shot!

A friend of ours does great photography of the night skies. He got this shot:

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 12.14.04 PM.png

We saw it Saturday night. Once I was able to locate it, it was easier to find again even without binoculars. But the binoculars really made it shine. I wish my eyesight were better, I have to remove my glasses to look through binoculars and it's still not as good as with them on.

I really enjoyed seeing it. Kinda blows my mind it won't be back for another 6,000 years.

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

DSLR (Nikon Z50 for that shot, I also took some shots with my D7200) + 300mm f/4 lens on a tripod.

No tracker, and at those magnifications even a 5-6 second exposure will show drift. It's pretty amazing, actually, I can stick a wide angle lens on there and do a 20 second exposure and see no drift at all (16mm, f/6.3, ISO 1600, 20 second exposure):
    Z50_2458.jpg

Slap the telephoto on there and that shot was 4 seconds at ISO 12800 and f/4 to get minimal drift. Fortunately, night sky photos clean up fairly well in terms of noise.

At 6 seconds, the drift was bad enough that the stars were just streaks.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Interesting... thanks for sharing.

I've ALWAYS sucked at night photography. I'd still love to learn how to take a good pic of the moon with my telephoto.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What, specifically, are you usually disappointed about when you take a photo?

In many cases, if your issue is sharpness, it can come down to the stability of your equipment. My tripod isn't the beefiest (it's my travel tripod), but my lens has a collar on it, so the lens is mounted on the tripod, not the camera body. That makes it much more stable than, say, hanging a 70-300mm zoom off the front of your camera and mounting the camera to the tripod.

Second, there's a big issue of mirror slap when you use a DSLR, especially on a sub-optimal platform (cheaper tripod, no lens collar). The mirror going up causes a lot of vibrations. Some cameras have settings to address this; a "mirror-up" mode, or an exposure delay mode combined with the mirror-up mode, that let you trigger the mirror, wait for a few seconds, then release the shutter. This is particularly bad with the moon because it's dim enough that you need slow-ish shutter speeds, but not dim enough that you need a 20-second shutter speed which would help mitigate some of the vibrations.

Of course, the tripod can come into play too if it's a cheap one or one from some of the big-box stores like Ritz or Best Buy. A halfway decent tripod and head can easily run into hundreds of dollars. My travel tripod is relatively cheap, but I try to compensate with good mounting and reducing mirror slap. You can also hang weight off your tripod to help keep it stable.

Finally, the moon in particular is such a big celestial object with so much detail that the sharpness of your lens really comes into play. If you have an inexpensive consumer zoom, the long end of your lens might not be the sharpest. Get your platform really stable and stop it down to f/8 for better results.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Can someone explain to me why people are wearing masks in their cars? Isn’t it a bit like wearing a condom to a bar?

7. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If they are traveling with people outside of their household it would make perfect sense to wear a mask while in a box with a possible disease bag. If they are doing while alone it might be a car that is shared among people who again might be exposed. If they are doing it in their own vehicle while alone or with close contacts is likely just due to an overreaction or not understanding what a mask actually does.

8. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've found myself increasingly traveling farther before I remember to take it off. I used to rip it off as soon as I got in the parking lot. Then, if my hands were full, I wait til I put everything down in my vehicle. Then I notice it after I shift from park. Then I'd realize I was driving through the parking lot with it still on.

Today, I left the post office, traveled a block, turned right at a stop light before I realized I still had it on.

I'm just getting more used to it being there. However, I still get out of the truck and forget it about 95% of the time and have to go back for it.

9. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you want to take the chance of being without a mask when the person driving in front of you sneezes, that air rushes out their open window, then into your car's air duct, and then turns your car into the Captain Trips Express - hey, you do you.

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went for an evening cruise on the bike, and some lady in leathers blew past me on a GSX750 that was at least a decade old.
    Nope.
    Cue me FINALLY finding the bottom of the accelerator on the Aprilia, and actually needing to hit 6th gear. Like I've hit 6th before as a courtesy, but I was running out of vroom in 5th.

I dunno what cocaine sex is like, but I bet it's something similar.

I knew I had been babying it, and my old bike demanded that you ride it like you were trying to break it. I had no idea how little of this thing I had dipped into, and the quicker I flipped through the gears on the way to 95, the more she liked it.

Good times.

11. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Take it from me, cocaine sex is very overrated.

By the time you can finally get your dick hard, you're pumping for hours, just for a really pathetic showing, if you know what I mean.
    And that's IF you can finish.
    Both of you are sore, and ultimately unsatisfied.
    It's not like drunk sex, where y'all can just roll over and go to sleep; you're still wired, and you're going to be awake to reflect on the decisions that brought you to that point in your life.

I know that movies/ TV/ internet badasses make it sound like hot-shit, but in my experience, coke is only fun while you're doing it.

EDIT: ACID SEX IS AMAZING.
    It's a whole other level.

#71 dixiebandit69, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

ha... wrong thread.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have some really solid gear... the lens I've been using is a Canon EF200-400/4L, on a 5d Mk III (which is REALLY good with dark/night shooting).

The problem is that everything gets washed out and there's no surface detail.

What you say about the lens collar makes PERFECT sense. I have a really good tripod, and a remote switch, but it still looks like shit under any magnification...

I'm going to try a more solid lens mount for the tripod and see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Actually, duh... the lens itself has a mount already built into it... I'm just not using it because I don't have the right adapter for my tripod.

I'll get the adapter and use that mount rather than the body of the camera.

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That will make a huge difference. You may want to be careful with hanging the lens by the camera like that, because the mount really isn't built for that much weight. But all of that weight dangling is going to cause a huge chain of vibrations so it'll definitely affect the images.

I would probably stop down one stop from wide open (if you're using the extender that'd be f/8, f/5.6 otherwise), use zoomed-in live view to focus on the moon, turn off VR on the lens, enable mirror lockup mode on the 5D (yours has it), and then use your remote shutter; it'll typically become a two part release, click once to raise the mirror, wait 5-10 seconds, then click again to cycle the shutter. Your lens + camera combo is great, I don't know about the tripod, but you'll definitely be able to capture sharp moon photos.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I bought the rig before I went on my African safari... it's way more camera than I am photographer, and I've been into the hobby since I was a kid. Even had my own dark room back in the day and processed my own film.

Thanks very much for the tips... I'll give them a shot soon.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

18. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always find it interesting when news reports don't understand how thieves work.

Woman caught trying to steal a massive TV from Wal-Mart
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/florida/go-big-go-home-752931

From the article:
    Honest headline: Woman uses big-ass TV to distract security and steal smaller stuff.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#79 Rush-O-Matic, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

lol

Because we all need some happiness/fun/joy non-politics/death/covid/bullshit in our lives these days...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.