Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] KING KAMEHAMEHA DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even with the cost of materials, prices up here to fix things especially in small towns is pennies. You could probably renovate that whole place top to bottom for about 50-70k.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Yeah, I could do everything except the foundation myself, so that would cut down costs quite a bit. I'd probably farm out the roof too though, the older I get the more I hate working up high.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I came home to 100* plus outside temps, a frozen up house AC, and I was still delighted. Because absolutely FUCK florida weather.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

aren't yall open to like 3 people per bar?

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Man, now I'm househunting in NY State. Might be time to move.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    It certainly looks like that was someone's plan. I've seen it with quite a few older houses and it saddens me that someone would do that to a formerly glorious house. Kind of like the one's that were remodeled in the 60's and 70's and the walls have been covered with paneling. Ugh.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

So Texas is about to get fucked this summer by the same company who ran the power grid which caused the majority of issues during our February snowpocalypse. ERCOT just issued their first warning today to conserve electricity, and this feels way too familiar when they were literally hours away from blowing up our whole grid a few months ago. Fortunately it seems like people caught on early today, but this definitely feels like some enron shit at this point

8. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is from the town I grew up in...a former rectory that someone fancied themselves a designer while renovating. The asking price is waaaay over the median for the area: https://www.redfin.com/PA/Connellsv...=share&utm_source=web_share&utm_campaign=copy

Some old houses in the surrounding area:
    https://www.redfin.com/PA/Uniontown...=share&utm_source=web_share&utm_campaign=copy
    https://www.redfin.com/PA/Uniontown...=share&utm_source=web_share&utm_campaign=copy
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/301-E-Green-St-Connellsville-PA-15425/2071127715_zpid/
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/530-E-Crawford-Ave-Connellsville-PA-15425/53269451_zpid/
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29-5th-Ave-Scottdale-PA-15683/10656672_zpid/?

There are a lot of late 1800s/ early 1900s Victorian houses in the area in desperate need of a full gut and reno...a little surprised more aren't listed.

Believe it or not, my town at one time had more millionaires per capita than anywhere in the US. Then the Great Depression hit.

#88 AFHokie, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  9. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Texas Republicans (Cruz and Paxton amongst others) were talking shit about California power outages last year. Karma's a bitch I tell ya.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

rumor has it ted cruz will be taking a timely vacation back home to Canada this summer

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy crap on a cracker. I live in a County with fairly low property taxes for Georgia. I would LOVE for them to be as low as $1500.

12. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Only because of his kids of course.

13. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fully open now, because we’re not a state where the majority of people think the vaccine will be used to track you.

Speaking of said states- did the turbines freeze again?

14. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are a lot of places all over the northeast with places like this. Small, once booming towns, that are now mostly rural and in disrepair with tons of late 1800's Victorian houses for sale. You really just need to find ones in decent areas and you can get a solidly built house that'll last another 100 years with a little TLC.

15. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On the flip side those towns depress me. Typically they were once booming because of some singular industry in the area. It’s been my job for 30+ years to go and clean up the old plants and factories that once were the economic engines of the area, and are long closed and leaking shit into the ground, rivers, etc. I’ve been through more boarded up downtowns than I like to remember.

There are still many beautiful homes and scenic places though, if you can make a go of it.

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same for South Carolina mill villages: https://www.redfin.com/SC/Chester/124-Academy-St-29706/home/52190769

Taxes and labor are far cheaper, but if it's not within a few miles of an interstate, lake, downtown of some kind or near a county seat...it's hard to see where these places will be in 10-15 years. There are a few gems, though: small college towns, historical sites, etc.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Hopefully we can give him a warm welcome by stacking tires over him and lighting them on fire.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

@Popped Cherries are there many brick homes in the area? Other than repurposed buildings. Most of the ones you linked are wood and most of the ones I have found are wood, too.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Just ordered a generator. Dual fuel, 4200 watts. Ercot can suck my dick

20. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry, this gave me a chuckle. Upstate NY here, and our property taxes are about $2,800 I think for a house and twenty five acres. 20 of those acres are on a separate parcel, taxed at $400 a year.

Gospel truth. Our taxes took a very unexpected jump and when I called the assessor to find out why, she noted that we'd recently built an addition on the house. I told her it was 120 additional square feet, not an entire wing. She said I could fight the increase and sent me the paperwork. When I got it, I saw that involved them coming into the house and doing a complete inspection. Fuck. That.

Because as soon as they saw we completely renovated and added to our kitchen to the tune of about $55k, are taxes would increase even more. You get penalized for keeping your place looking nice in a lot of places here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.