Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] INTERNATIONAL BEER DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Aug 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watch the show sporadically, but I 100% agree with Ken Jennings being the best host and it wasn't even close.

2. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had a coal furnace up until the summer after my freshman year at college. With both my brother and I gone during winter, an oil furnace became much more attractive to my parents than shoveling coal.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

10:30pm. and we're hitting 95% humidity and hot temps.

WTFBBQ.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I meant to reply to this post earlier... but better late than never, I guess.

I think, yes and no.

I peruse Reddit a lot... like, a LOT. It's an interesting place to go and find out something new.

But the thing that I do not like about it is the "drive by" nature of commenting and posting.

Too many idiots with nothing much to say about anything... generally, no real interesting conversation or discussion... it's just a one-off comment that is shooting for high karma.

The thing I really like about this place is that we pretty well know each other... we've been "talking" for more than a decade, and even though we pretty well know everyone's point of view on most things (especially politically), I still would rather enjoy talking about new shit with "old friends", like we have here, than try and banter with some miscellaneous Reddit poster.

Sure, lots of people have bailed out of here, but I don't think it's only because of Reddit... I think they just get tired of the discussion around here. I know I was like that before... needed some time off, then came back. But I have no doubt that some people just don't come back.

It is what it is, but I see this board and Reddit providing two different entertainment avenues. There is some minor overlap, but I don't see direct competition.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I would agree with this.

I browse reddit mostly. It's a fast way to see what people are talking about. Current events, political topics, very niche hobbies, cultural and entertainment stuff. I only have one sub that I really post on but still mostly read, and it's a private subreddit for people who all had babies the same month. It's sort of a support group since I sadly don't have anyone to commiserate with, and it was really helpful when I was preggo. Most of the people I'd talk to about those topics had their babies decades or more ago and a lot of those memories from the most tired period of your life fade pretty fast. It's nice to see what's normal and what other babies the same age are doing. Also, having a baby during covid is a pretty unique and isolating experience. Fun times.

I like the smaller, more personal community here. I do like you devils that I know. I don't need e-cred that a lot of redditors seem to try to garner. I don't want a big audience or followers, or a random going back and looking at every single thing I've ever posted to figure out who I am like some sort of CSI exercise. I've seen that happen too many times and it's fucking creepy. Reddit does have the advantage that huge communities have, and that's a niche for every interest, but we have a pretty good assortment of permanent threads for my hobbies so I have stuff to talk about here regularly.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Besides, Reddit has been down for a while now... we have better uptime. ;)

7. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Awwww hell, what did you do?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They pissed me off. That's all you need to know.

9. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Note to myself: Don't piss off Nettdata.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’m not much of a “member” of Reddit but some subreddits are literally the funniest things I’ve ever read.

/r smalldickproblems
    is some of the most hilarious shit on the internet. The absolutely unhinged rage and anger that these assholes direct at anybody trying to be even REMOTELY nice or supportive to them has to be seen to be believed. They hate everything.

11. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve only started spending time on Reddit the last year or so, as a lurker, not a member. It’s a good place to get a quick laugh or see what’s going on in a “skimming the headlines” kind of way. I enjoy it, but have no desire currently to join and post.

12. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As the owner of a forum style site, I believe social media has a LOT to do with it too. Despite everyone's hatred for it, they are still there, day in and day out, with little time or interest for other sites.

I tried to start a rural themed, social media site very similar to Facebook without all the data mining and stuff, but it never really got off the ground.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I also think that for any site, this one included, there are more lurkers than participants. In order to keep them around, they need content, which is hard to do without a lot of participants. Reddit is the perfect fire host of content that feeds that "entertain/inform me" head space.

14. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly.

At one time I had mine set up so if you wanted to see most of the site you had to be a member. It didn't make a huge difference, or people joined, lurked one time and never came back. Honestly, I'm not investing as much time in the site anymore, maybe a few days a week, because it's not worth it. But I keep it going for the half dozen or so who are there every day.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I have a Reddit account solely so I can filter stupid shit and only consume the subs I find interesting. I’ve never commented on anything. The smaller subs with specific topics are the most interesting. Sometimes the threads in larger subs are pretty funny, though.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have a few groups of subreddits that I subscribe to, like woodworking, welding, fabrication, etc, then another for racing (F1, Le Mans, IMSA, etc). I also have a few others that I use as tech resources as you can usually get some pretty good support from some companies that run their own subreddit as an alternative support forum.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

one of the comments on that

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What a terrible day to be literate.

19. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use reddit quite a bit to kill time during coffee and lunch breaks. I use it kind of 2 ways. I sub to ones i want to take part in(woodworking/d&d/3dprinting/etc) and use my home page for that. I also use the boost app, so i can filter what ever i don't want to see on popular and scroll through that for a laugh.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I use Apollo on IOS and it's the best thing ever for Reddit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.