Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] HURRICANE IAN CLEANUP[NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Sep 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Weee....around and around we go, and here we are at Friday again.

Seems like Hurricane Ian has done a number on Florida. What's the current word? Anymore sharks or gator chilling on main street?

I found a pic of a woman escaping. She had time to get her hair fixed before wading through the swamp.

[​IMG]

Y'all enjoy your weekend. I think I'm having a garage sale. Splendid!

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am not trying to be insensitive to peoples problems, but at what point does someone go "i keep getting fucked here time to move". Maybe it is different area in Florida that get hit and not that same ones, but it just always seems like Florida is getting fucked every hurricane season.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

That's my thought process and why we will never permanently relocate to the coast. On top of other issues, it just isn't worth it.

But, flip side, we have a limited social and family support here, having a close relationship to family is really difficult. Some people can't afford to leave, or aren't willing to lose their community to do it

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My grandparents lived in FL since the mid 1950's and had multiple homes over the years living on the intracoastal starting in the mid 1970's. You walk 25' out their back door and you'd fall in the water. What's the worst property damage they had in those ~70 years? A blown over fence.

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wonder how many of those boats weren't there before. I mean, I have three in my yard now.

You couldn't get me to move to Florida, and all those people living on their boats... You wouldn't catch me on a big, live aboard boat from July through Halloween. I know some great places to ride out hurricanes on Chesapeake and rivers of Virginia, I wouldn't be any further south than Pungo, Va after June.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw some yachts trying to flee while the storm was already raging. What's the point of living on a boat if you aren't going to fuck off to a safe harbor well in advance of the storm?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

"Blue Dog to the free boat courtesy phone please, Blue Dog to the free boat courtesy phone..."

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The real question I have is moving forward, are people going to realize that this shit is only going to get worse and worse?

Climate change is a thing. Temps are getting hotter.

Higher temps mean more force and rain.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/3184/a-force-of-nature-hurricanes-in-a-changing-climate/

At what point is it going to be too late to sell/move from FLA? "Oh hi, I now live in a severe flood zone... please come and buy my house."

How does that work?

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Evergreen clip:

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That fucktard thinks he's way, WAY smarter than he really is.

12. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t care if people “believe” that climate change isn’t a thing - all you have to do is follow the money. Private homeowners insurance that covers floods/storms doesn’t exist in most parts of coastal Florida - the insurance companies know it’s a massive liability.

Until the federal government stops subsidizing flood/storm insurance there is zero incentive for people to do anything about it. Other than you know, being ok with your shit getting wrecked every year or two.

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I honestly do not know. I saw a post from someone that cut their mooring lines and took off, and probably save the boat. They were on a mooring ball in a mooring field, not a dock. A lot that actually lived aboard a well found yacht likely did leave. I would have gone up the Okeechobee. When i was sure nobody else was going to be coming by, I would have tied lots of lines to both sides of the channel.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Sean Evans is the best celebrity interviewer. Fight me.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nope... I agree.

Dude has a gift, somewhat hidden by a gimmick.

What people don't realize is that gimmick usually makes the celeb a bit off balance and unable to think through their answers... they're too busy trying to survive the heat. As a result you get way more truthful, raw answers than you normally would.

Combine that with the insane level of investigation he does for his questions, and it's a killer combination.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

A lot of other interviewers seem like they follow the same pattern: fish for controversial answer >> sound bite >> clicks to whatever shitty organization they work for. At least he tries to find some common ground and allow the subject to enjoy themselves.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I get the impression that a lot of them really enjoy the time and it’s a bit of a bonding session with them.

They become friends of some sort, and have some mutual respect.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

everyone who has family and friends in Florida -- how'd y'all do?

My parents are just south of Sarasota, bay side and their place got absolutely raped -- sea wall collapsed and the the ocean took it from there. Others we know in the area still have massive damage, but not as bad.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

He should be the next daily show host.

Also someone would have to pay me to live on the coast in a hurricane-prone area. Like buy me a house, and also pay me to live there. Great to visit, yes, but fuck off with the humidity, bugs, and especially the evacuations. Though out of morbid curiosity, I would like to ride out a low category hurricane at least once. I think it'd be fun. I would do a Cat 3 if I was in a house I knew was built well and above expected storm surge levels.

20. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And we call that place Salt Lake City.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.