Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] HAPPY 10th ANNIVERSARY TIB! [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

The NCAA voted today (unanimously) that collegiate athletes can "benefit from" use of their name, image and likeness. Here is their official statement.

What this will end up looking like is anyone's guess, but suffice to say those players are about to get PAID.

About time.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

3. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, I like trees as much as the next bitch but Elon Musk donating $1m is like the equivalent of one of us normals donating like $10. Except for the fact that normal people need an extra $10 more than he needs an extra million. Fuck billionaires, they literally should not be allowed to exist.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Cool. Did you donate $10? Because that's the amount that I donated... so I'm kinda OK with Elon doing the same, but at his scale.

5. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have specific charities that I donate to on a regularly scheduled basis and then sometimes I get wild and throw some extra in here and there. But none of us are expecting news stories and pats on the back for it. Also maybe I’m just kind of pissed at constantly increasing wealth disparity and general idolization of egregious resource hoarders?

6. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You made me curious and I looked it up. It's actually more like $5, if you make about $95,000 per year. I've literally planted my comparable number of trees this year, with my own hands.
    So, yes. Fuck billionaires. They literally should not be allowed to exist.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You're calling Elon Musk an egregious resource hoarder?

I think we need more of him... people with his vision and drive and execution should be funded like he is to do what he is doing.

The Kardashians? Yeah, shove them in one of Elon's rockets and send them to Saturn for all I care....

8. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah that’s cute, I don’t even make half that, so I’m on the hook for what, $2/year? Even Boyfriend doesn’t make quite that much and he has a fancy grownup job.

Also the median family income in the US in 2012 was only $62k, soooo yeah, if you’re worth $21 billion you are an egregious resource hoarder.

I, however, have never planted a tree, if I did it would 10/10 be dead. RIP every plant I have ever been gifted.

9. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got brown thumbs as well.

As far as Musk and Gates, folk like that I don't have so much of an issue with. They've created something that has turned out to be incredibly in demand and are actively trying to better the planet. The other fuckers who actively try to fuck the planet to further their Scrooge McDuck levels of money can rot in the bottom of a used tampon bin in the nightclub toilet.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In celebration of Christina Hendricks breaking it off with her CAAAAAANDY BAAAAAARRRRRRSSSSS husband:

[​IMG]

11. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s not hoarding if you’re reinvesting it.

He made several million off of PayPal. He could’ve sat on it and become a parasitic leech like the Kardashians. Instead he reinvested it in his current companies. If I recall, right after he sold PayPal he had to sleep on a buddy’s couch for months as all of his cash was tied up in future investments.

Musk is taking more risks with his money than the majority of wealthy individuals.

You can hate him because he’s rich and successful if you want. But saying he’s a hoarder is definitively incorrect.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just don’t get the argument. Most people like Musk have their net worth tied up in the stock of their companies not in a Scrooge McDuck money bin. Basic finance will teach you how stock investment is used to let companies operate. It isn’t a zero some game unless you see the technologies his companies are replacing with better products is somehow stealing from those companies or industries? If Musk creates a new market for electric cars that wasn’t there before who exactly is he “hoarding money from?” What part of existing finance is he taking from?

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I just find it kind of funny that people are complaining that a private guy is doing something for the good of the world that governments aren't doing. A huge group of YouTube influencers joined forces for a good cause, set a goal, Musk comes in and personally covers 1/20 of that goal, and he somehow gets shit on.

To me, that is commendable, and newsworthy.

Call me crazy.

14. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will never understand why people hate rich people just for having money. It bugs the shit out of me.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Same.

If you earned it, it’s yours. If you wanna keep it in gold bars in your living room or drink it all away or give it all to charity, that’s totally your choice. You earned it, fuck anyone who tries to tell you want to do with it.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I do think that tax breaks for the wealthy should not exist, and that the wealthier you get the more you should be paying back into the system to look after those who are less fortunate. The fact that Amazon pays no taxes is wrong, IMO... but hey, thankfully this isn't the Serious thread.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well also, no one actually knows what they did or didnt pay. The returns themselves are private. The basis of those accusations is that Amazon had a publicly disclosed loss carry-forward that lets companies offset losses in revenue with a lessened tax burden in subsequent filings. The other indicator is that they've been building a shitload of data centers and distribution centers. When a company buys a distressed or depreciated asset (abandon factory buildings, etc.) instead of a "regular" one, they can deduct the entire tax burden of the entire course of its depreciation all at once and (almost) whenever they want. It only gets more complicated from there. If one of the largest companies in the world was just not paying anything, the IRS would have been up their ass since day one.

18. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Playing devil’s advocate here, you have inherited wealth and law evading practices that get a fair amount of rich people to where they are.

Plus, once you get to a certain level, you keep getting richer because normal laws don’t apply to you anymore.

I love a self made story but for every Musk out there you have a Bezos, who got his edge by skirting state sales tax.

Dont get me started on all Uber’s bullshit.

19. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

i dont hate musk for his money or his willingness and eagerness to bring his dreams to life.

i don't like that tesla looks like a ponzi scheme and that i feel he gets away with manipulating rhe stock on a regular basis.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I just heard a big THUMP! and then howling. I'm pretty sure somewhere here in town Bryce Harper just kicked his dog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.