Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] HALLOWEEN WEEKEND[NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Halloween weekend is upon us, one of my favorite holidays as a kid. Free candy? Yeah, I'll pound some pavement for that (somehow I couldn't think of that phrase and came up with burn up some sidewalks. My poor brain). This year, my kid is under age 2 so we are going to a handful of known neighbors so they can see a cute costume and give a treat. These are the golden years, where the kid is too young to be eating candy, so we get to tax the candy at 100%.

Anyone throwing a party, handing out candy, or doing anything notable for the holiday?

I need to find another spooky themed movie to watch. Any suggestions?

Y'all be careful out there. Stay away from looming men in masks and coveralls.

[​IMG]

2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This has now been added to my lexicon. LET'S BURN UP SOME SIDEWALKS BRAH

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I deprive y'all of most of the phrase fuckups. I usually type it, stare at my screen going... that's not right... and then do some furious googling to fix it. I think my brain is a little squishier than it's supposed to be.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another? I don't know what you've seen. Anything besides Goosebumps?

And, I don't know what platform you're looking for. Theatre? Streaming? Which services do you have?

I heard The Night House is good. You can rent that on Apple TV for $6. The Invisible Man is on HBO Max. What We Do In The Shadows (the movie) is spooky fun, free on Fubo or Kanopy, $0.99 on Apple TV. The Shining is always great for a rewatch. It's showing at some theatres now, but also HBO Max. And, then you can watch the sequel, Doctor Sleep.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Consider me a blank slate. We saw Halloween earlier this month. I have seen all the What we do in the Shadows stuff, movie included. Big fan. I've never heard of the Invisible Man, I'll put that on the list.

We have Apple TV (yay free trial), Hulu, Netflix, HBO.

6. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

If you are looking for one that is not scary try Practical Magic.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

“The Gate” and “Poltergeist” are the best ones to introduce kids to horror films.

I finally found one that terrified my kid. The first half of Jeepers Creepers drove her clear up the wall with terror. I almost forgot how insanely good the first 45 minutes of that movie is. Then it’s all downhill from there.

Tonight she has friends over and told me to pick the movie for them. None of them have seen The Sixth Sense or Drag Me To Hell so this will be hilarious.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, then, FYI, there are a bunch of The Invisible Man movies. Not the 1933 HG Wells novel one, lol, or the 2017 remake. The 2020 one with Elisabeth Moss. It's not the greatest spooky movie of all time or anything, I was just thinking of recent decent ones. But, if you're a blank slate, I'm sure there are plenty of good ones people can name. For instance, Get Out and Us. There will be a bunch on regular "cable" this weekend, I'm sure, with TNT or AMC or TMC or SyFy networks running a bunch.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Depends on what you consider “spooky.” The scariest horror movies are:
    • The Shining
    • Babadook
    • Event Horizon
    • The Conjuring (first one)
    • Sinister
    • The Exorcist
    • Hereditary
    • [rec]
    • 28 Days Later
    The scariest non-horror movies are:
    • Man Bites Dog
    • Come and See
    • Mulholland Drive
    • Eraserhead
    • Blue Velvet
    • The Road
    • Se7en

10. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you are looking for a new one, Last Night in SOHO is really good.

Some older ones - the cabin in the woods, train to Busan, creep, drag me to hell.

11. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Changeling (with George C Scott) and the Haunting (1963) are probably two of my favorite spooky/atmospheric films.

I just showed my wife Shadow of the Vampire which is pretty great film too. Essentially a fictional take on the making of Nosferatu. Willem Dafoe was totally robbed when it came to awards on that one.

For "Horror" movies that I like, but really don't much qualify as horror, any of the Amicus, Hammer Horror, and/or American International films I'll watch even when it's not around Halloween time. I think I could just watch an endless loop of The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Theater of Blood (The Queen of Thorns, Diana Rigg, is in it!), and The Comedy of Terrors.

If you don't mind slashers, Dario Argento (at least anything from Bird with the Crystal Plummage to Opera) is worth it as well Mario Bava films. I'd only recommend Lucio Fulci if you haven't anything or plan on eating anything for a while.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I found The Serpent and the Rainbow freaked me out.

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A really scary "non-horror" movie is "Mother!" by Darren Aronofsky ("Requiem to a Dream" game).
    It takes a really weird turn halfway through the movie.

"House"/ "Hausu" (1977) starts off funny, then gets really weird. JJ and I watched this on acid one night.
    Come o think of it as the same night we watched "The Red Shoes," a Korean horror movie that was pretty scary.

The scariest movie I've ever seen (at least as far as lasting impression goes) was "It" in the '90s.

It made me scared of shower drains for years.

14. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tim Curry is a goddamn English hero.

15. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My friend and I rented Man Bites Dog around age 12 or 13 because there was a description that likened it to This Is Spinal Tap. Literally the only thing those films have in common is that they are mockumentaries. We were... not expecting that.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's fucked up, but it's also hilarious. The running joke about the sound guy getting killed, the whole discussion about weighing down midgets, etc.

17. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My memory of it is pretty cloudy since it's been like 20 years but I think the shock of it kind of overshadowed any humor for us. Although I rewatched Spinal Tap a few months ago and tbh it really holds up.

18. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

My wife is scared of flies. What would be the go-to for someone who gets spooked by her shadow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.