Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] DEATH BY WINTER [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Whothehell, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another awesome hidden gem in that clip - the short white guy with glasses and a fro is Sidney Freedman, the psychologist on MASH

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Could there be a more annoying social media catchphrase than either “Educate yourself” or “I did my own research”? It’s basically an instantaneous calling card to ignore that person.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The first time I was acutely aware of the phrase was about 5 years ago. Another server at the sportsbar I worked couldn't explain why microwaves were bad for food, but she did her own research. Microwaves remove all nutritional value from your food! Said she.

Okkkkkkay.....thanks for the science lesson. I went on to explain to another coworker what a nutrient was, and how microwaves work. Then I realized that nobody cares. Working in that place was a strange mix of frustration and impotent rage.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    So...

Apparently the wrong answer to a tear filled "You think I'm stupid" is replying "You know that's not true at all, but now you're acting stupid."

This is why I'm single. And happy about it.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

[​IMG]

#25 Nettdata, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Better than my instinctive reaction to that question: a long pause

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Ah well, we'll fix it I'm sure. No human interaction is free of misunderstandings. She's a very dear friend, just a bit emotional. I'm sure she thinks of me as a good friend, but just a bit of an asshole. Probably not a good combination together.

Anyways, I haven't talked about my baseball cards lately. One set I've been working on diligently is the 1962 set, the year I was born, albeit long after baseball season was over, I was in the womb when the cards were issued. I've damn near put together a high grade set, which is no small feat. The cards have wood grain looking borders which are very susceptible to showing wear. It's not a popular set to collect for that very reason, it's hard to put together a set with high end cards. Of course one of the key (And most expensive) cards is Mickey Mantle. Tonight I picked up the Mantle.

It's not even close to the condition of the rest of my cards, if I wanted one in that condition I'd be looking at $800+. I got this one for $82. I've seen similar cards sell for twice that, so I'm happy.

62mantle.jpg

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like the official condition of Mickey’s card should be listed as “hung over.”

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Meh, it's 57 years old and a piece of cardboard that wasn't meant to be much more then fodder to be put in bicycle spokes to make it go "Vrrrrrrr" like a comic motorcycle. I'm always suspect of cards that are in too good of condition....the cards I had when I was growing up were abused by me handling, sorting, and resorting them constantly. My childhood cards looked bad even after a couple months old. As much as I wish this card were in better shape, it shows character. Some kid, somewhere shuffled it all over his collection without caring that someday it would end up an expensive treasure. That's kind of cool.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

So do you collect these things as an investment? As a way to kinda re-live your childhood?

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've always thought that if you start collecting something strictly for monetary reasons, you shouldn't start. You're probably gonna lose your ass and really, it's not nearly as fun.

12. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just meant that that picture of Mickey looks like he was on a bender the night before. Which is very probable. Get that man some greenies!

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Probable? Inevitable is more the word. He would run over gas pumps with his car while drunk. Always skated, though. And his best friend was Roger Maris: the most shy, humble, clean-cut milquetoast ever to play the game.

#33 Crown Royal, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I've bought and sold cards since I was a kid...I've had, at one point or another, just about every card produced between 1952-1989. I don't do it as an investment, but it does seem to work out that way. Right now I've finally got, all at once, the collection I dreamed of having as a kid. I have near complete sets (At least 80%) of the '51 Bowman, and '57, '59 , '61, '62, '63, '64, '67, '69, '70, & '71 Topps,....plus a few thousand of other assorted sets from 1909-1973. I guess if I had to put a dollar amount on what I have it would be somewhere between $35-40K. So, there is certainly an investment there...but I just enjoy having them. It's just something I've done for almost 50 years.

15. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought my Star Wars figures were worth a few bucks, but nowhere near that. Damn!!!

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have five or six boxes of late 80s early 90s cards that I have no idea what to do with. A coworker's mom was cleaning out the house and was getting rid of them, so he asked if anyone wanted his baseball card collection from when he was a kid. I thought we'd be talking about a 100 cards or something so I said sure. Dude showed up with probably 50 lbs of baseball cards.

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I asked toytoy a while ago about what to do with my cards from the same era, late 80’s/early 90’s. He said they’re worth Next to nothing.

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I would recommend a bon fire, unless you really like them. The monetary value will never be there.

I've literally dumped hundreds of pounds of that stuff in dumpsters. There are a couple little gems in there that can be worth money (Like an '89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr...I've thrown away hundreds of his other rookie cards, they're not worth the hassle.)

I saw a figure that in '89 the card companies produced enough cards to give everyone in the country 800 or so cards. They aren't scare. I can pick up sealed complete sets from that era for $5-10 if I felt like having them. They will never realize the prices of the older cards because everyone horded them as collectibles from the get go, and that wasn't done in the previous eras of card production.

19. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.