Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] DAIQUIRI DAY[NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I sure as hell hope not. With all the wild rainfall predictions from Invest 92/Tropical Storm Barry/Weakest Hurricane on record Barry, we put a lot of our furniture up, packed my guns, valuable documents, and most important of keepsakes/pictures then headed north to the step-daughter's home in Shreveport to avoid the potential of the house flooding (again!)

Turned out to be much ado about nothing as we didn't get anything close to the 24" of rain they were predicting as late as Friday morning before landfall. We never lost power and I kept checking the security cameras to see what it looked like (2 of them outside, one pointed at the front yard, one at the back) and never saw so much as heavy rain.

Procrastinators that we are, we still have some furniture to put back in place.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

And sadly that's the exact kind of situation that leads to everyone getting fucked the next time. Because the residents will remember how hyped it was and then there was nothing, and they'll figure the weather people are wrong again, and they'll stay when they should have left.

I wish that meteorologists were more accurate so this kinda thing doesn't happen, but it's an inexact science (though it is getting better).

3. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Based on all the info we gathered and watching the weather pretty much non-stop from the weekend before, we were pretty convinced this was an anomaly in that it didn't dump the massive rain where it was predicted. Couple that with the complete lack of confidence in the local and state agencies to keep up and clean out the drainage (natural and man-made) for all that water and we were not willing to take any chances.

After all we went through just to get back from the flood in 2016 (May of this year) we won't take any chances with any storm. Since we have a place to bug out to, we will every time the need arises.

We will NEVER risk the need to be rescued from our home. My aunt went through that during Hurricane Katrina... nope, nope, nope.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m on the way to the airport in New Orleans right now and it started raining about 20 minutes ago and there’s already street flooding. How is it that after all this time, they are still completed unprepared to handle any amount of rain?

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

*laughs in Houston*

6. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always laugh in Houston.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I recently read Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis, and one of the little nuggets stuffed in there was how NOAA data and analysis has made our current 7 day predictions more accurate than our 24 hour predictions from 15 years ago.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I certainly haven't noticed a difference in multi day forecast..... MyRadar is the only thing that has been an actual leap, having the radar at your finger tips to see rain in your area at that moment. Saved me numerous times with my convertible.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it me or does the media make a bigger deal out of heatwave than needs be?

Seems to me that 30 years ago it was hot, you knew it was hot and knew what to do. None of this "feels like" temperature shit and constant warnings of impending doom.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yeah anything more than 2-4 days out I consider to be just a rough estimate. For example, the forecast says it’s supposed to drop about 10 degrees in 2 days. So I figure that cooler air could hit tomorrow, or it could hit mid to late week. It could also drop 5 degrees or 20.

I use MyRadar religiously. Also My Lightning Tracker. Those two are incredible. Beyond that.... yeah, just a general idea of what’s to come.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Its not a big deal. Its overblown so old ladies with Alzheimers dont forget to turn on their ACs and roast to death in their section 8 apartments.

I use the Dark Sky weather app. It cost me $5 for iOS (free for Android I think), but it was worth it.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Well that, and there's really nothing else to talk about on the weather channels. When the news is slow they go to politics (or rather when politics is slow now they go to news). But if nothing is happening for weather? You can't be like damn it's hot, but it's a lot hotter back where some of these congresswomen came from amirite???

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's basically one big "go check on grandma" PSA, so they don't have to pull bodies out of apartments for the next week.

14. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I accidentally ripped off half of the fingernail on my right thumb yesterday. You don't really realize how much you use your thumb for until it hurts like hell every time you put any pressure on it.

15. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There’s a butt joke in there somewhere...

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The nose is similar. I've broken my nose so many times I've lost track, and you don't realize how often you hit your nose until a light breeze makes you wince.

Whenever I broke a hand or a finger, the issue for me was always grip strength (and I don't mean just for tugging the totem pole). One of those things that's super important and you don't appreciate it until you lose it.

17. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Heh...

All you people complaining about 100+ degree heat...

Y'all are funny.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

As you know all too well, it’s the humidity not the heat.

Overall this has been a pretty mild summer.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You come on up and deal with sub-zero temps and ice and snow on a regular basis and then tell me how cozy 100± heat is...

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s just the point. Anybody can live in the heat, hardly anybody can live in the cold. Trying to sleep is the only time heat becomes frustrating. The winter will actually, literally kill you in a thousand filthy, dirty ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.