Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] CANADIAN THANKSGIVING [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 6, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Happy Thanksgiving to our neighbors to the north.

(Ha! I remembered this time! I am way too proud of myself for reading my Google calendar today. )

@Nettdata is road tripping, and @malisbad is in Japan, right? @wexton , @Crown Royal ? What are you fellas doing for the holiday? @Dcc001 I imagine does shit like this on the holidays:

upload_2023-10-6_20-20-7.png

Happy weekend everyone. Be safe.

"Sexy Canadian Thanksgiving"

upload_2023-10-6_20-32-48.png upload_2023-10-6_20-33-11.png upload_2023-10-6_20-34-16.png

2. greybeard

greybeard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can see the attraction to maple syrup, I always wondered where it came from

3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got into an argument with my Art History professor my freshman year of college about "Dogs playing poker."

A couple of days into the class, he was showing us different examples of "art," and he got to Marcel DuChamp's "Fountain" (it's a urinal. Seriously, look it up. He didn't even make it himself. It was a "found object," which is bullshit).

I made the argument that art is anything you want it to be, and I gave "Dogs Playing Poker" as an example, AND HE LOST HIS SHIT.

He said it was crap, then he brought it up on the projector, and broke down how it "didn't have the elements of design" that classify "true art."

As I got to know him throughout the semester, I learned he was a really cool guy, but for some reason he got really triggered by that painting.

I still think most art is bullshit, though.

4. greybeard

greybeard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Any art that requires subtitles is crap

5. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I had totally forgotten it was Thanksgiving until I saw this post. At home it's a big family dinner with the extended clan. Here, it's nothing. Hallowe'en is the next big commercial event, and the moon viewing (a.k.a. mid-autumn festival) things are currently on sale.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's the Bootie thread.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, it's spelled "Booty" in the title. I thought it was Boobie and Bootie. huh.

I GUESS IT'S BECAUSE THEY SO RARELY GET UPDATED GAH.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... it's a 3-day weekend around here. Having a small family dinner at my sister's place... we generally show up early afternoon, crack some wine open, play some board games, and then have a rather simple Thanksgiving dinner.

Rather than it being a huge, all-day cooking event, we usually just get a turkey roll and some veggies and roast it up. Easy to slice up, nowhere near the mess and cleanup involved.

All in all dealing with my sister's MIL is a bit fucking boring, so we try and limit the time.

This is something that feels more like an obligation than something you want to do on your own.

Otherwise I'm just getting shit done around the house trying to get shit winterized. Blew out the in-ground irrigation lines, final grass cut and fertilizing, starting to cultivate some of the beds to get shit turned in for the winter, etc.

Also starting to clean out the garage to get ready for the car to live in there over the winter. On deck also is to do the small engine maintenance; generators, snow blower, chipper, all get a quick mini tune up and new oil, ensure batteries are charged up and maintainers are working, etc.

Once the snow flies, then it's time to just hibernate in the wood shop. Honestly, haven't done that in a few years due to the overwhelming fatigue I've been feeling due to my undiagnosed cardiac issues, but now that I'm on meds and the CPAP is in the picture, I have tons of energy and desire to get back at it.

Really looking forward to it.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

First half marathon race this morning. Over 1k feet in elevation gain. 2:10:19. Goal was anything under 2:45.

this gives me a lot more confidence about the marathon.

unfortunately they had like 3 portapotties for well over 500 racers

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice job, dude.

Next time just shit yourself while you're running, that seems to be acceptable from what I've seen.

[​IMG]

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I would argue that a lot of the trades are art.

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'd argue that picture is art. It certainly invoked some emotions inside me. Examine the audience behind the runner. The old man, pointing. The man in mid slow clap. The watching babies. If the lighting was touched up, this would be an Accidental Renaissance.

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They certainly are. I've said for decades now that auto body/ refinishing is as much art as it is science... That's why I don't have the patience for it.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

15. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was at the Chicago Institute of Art and this was an exhibit. 72lbs of candy. Modern art is stupid. Renaissance art is breathtaking.

Attached Files:

• Art.jpg
      Art.jpg
      File size:
      115.5 KB
      Views:
  16. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That isn’t art. That is a statement. I don’t care what baristas with PhDs in “art” say, if there is no effort in a work to be aesthetically pleasing then it isn’t art.

72 lbs of candy on the floor is a statement. Sticking eggs full of paint up your vagina and queefing them onto canvas is a statement/demonstration of a unique methodology for painting. If the queefsplosions of paint on the canvas look nice, that component can be art.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Okay, but what the fuck is art anymore? The worlds most famous artist currently alive stencils graffiti on walls. Jokes aren’t allowed to exist in comedy anymore, so making good points while singing the last sentence— that’s what’s funny. That’s comedy now, I guess. Australia won.

On Renaissance Art— keep in mind 90% of those masterpieces were created in rat-infested apartments by candle light. And even the Italian ones didn’t have 24-hour pizza delivery. Or toilets. And they are masterpieces, indeed. Rembrandt’s paintings in person have a hypnotic photorealism to them, you really get to see through them that there are levels to practically everything, and art is objectively one of them.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What is more Thanksgiving than a video interview of the Q Shaman?

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Oh... and a public service notice...

My sister and BIL believe that a turkey roll has to be cooked until it's 190, and then pulled out of the oven and cut immediately.

That is wrong.

It ended up tasting like a bland boiled protein that was not enjoyable... the only redeeming factor was a ton of tasty gravy and stuffing.

Turkey should be cooked until 160°F, pulled out of the oven, covered, and left to sit for 30 minutes, so that it gets to `65-`70°F... at that point, it's fucking tasty.

20. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry you had to eat cardboard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.