Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] BOOCH DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jan 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have 3 full-page (poster sized) uncut baseball card runs from O-Pee-Chee from the early 80's (82?). My uncle used to work there, and brought them home for xmas presents one year.

I've just had them up on the wall all through high school and university... just thumbtacked.

At some point I'm going to get them mounted and framed. I doubt they're worth anything, but they are hilarious to go through and see some rather well known names in there looking all... 80's.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Here's an example I found on the web:

[​IMG]

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    There could've been some value there, not a lot, but some. O Pee Chee tends to sell for less than Topps, but if they were thumb tacked to the wall, that was a kiss of death for value. Still very cool as a memento. I have 1000's of ungraded cards from the 50's -70's that are just much more for my enjoyment rather than for investment. There's still value, but they're not exactly investment grade at the moment. Maybe in another 20 years or so....

The sheet you showed is from 1985 and it has a Roger Clemens rookie on it. That certainly has some value.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, that was just a random pic from the internet... but it does look familiar, with the Pete Rose Manager card, etc. I have the 3 sheets in a drawing storage tube somewhere and I'd have to go dig them out to get a date from it.

And yeah... when you're 14 or 16 and get something like that, "collectible" wasn't even in the vocabulary, you just put cool shit up in your room.

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

And that's why anything from the mid 80's on has very little value....by that time people started seeing what old cards were worth and started treating new ones like an investment portfolio. There's millions and millions of them out there in untouched, unopened boxes. Not to mention that the card companies were turning the cards out by the hundreds of millions each year by that time.

The old ones were simple throw away items and somehow a few of them managed to survive.

6. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching the HBO Tiger documentary (only half through the first episode) and while I'm finding it very interesting, I'm wondering what the parents on the board think; Obviously a lot of Tiger's childhood and how Tiger viewed goals/life was sacrificed for golf due to his dad pushing and pushing Tiger to be the best in the world. Which he was.

So for the parents; Would you "sacrifice" your kids childhood if you knew they were going to be the best? Going to set their kids (and you) up for life financially? Going to change world of their profession? Push your kids to be the absolute best that you want them to be or let them be their version of happy which lands them in a "mediocre" life?

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If anyone in Canada is looking for some seriously good jerky (beef, bison, whatever, of multiple flavours), I highly recommend: https://albertajerky.com/

Incredibly good quality, and if you buy enough, free shipping and reduced prices.

Just got a new shipment in today of their 4 peppercorn and bison jerky, and it is TASTY.

It's got some serious flavour, without being overly salty like most commercial jerkies can be.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

G
    Its funny, Topps is worth more as a card than OPeeChee for baseball, yet for Hockey it’s the exact opposite.

Cards and comic trading were so utterly ridiculously popular in the early 90’s. A dozen trading card stores popped up in our city back then (I went to “Time Out 4 Cards”). I still have every single card I collected.

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Holy. Shit.

My cards that were up for auction closed tonight. They brought a grand total of $10,164.04 in bids. After the auction house fees I'll clear a little over $8900. Bear in mind, this was only 40 cards that I had about $2500 invested in. Some of the prices that were realized blew my mind. Everything sold for a tidy profit, some for well over 5x what I paid for them...and all of them were bought in the past 5 years. For whatever reason the prices have sky-rocketed in the past year or so. Time to ship another group off to the auction house.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Congrats! Sounds like all that hard work literally paid off.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Hard work. Heh. I just bought them and threw them in the closet. But, I've usually been able to make money on baseball cards...I've been at it for 49 years, so I can spot bargains and stuff that's undervalued.

All that aside, I've never seen the market quite like this...even back in the 80's when old cards really started blowing up. This is something beyond ridiculous...and it's all going to come crashing down. Not a doubt in my mind.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

We thought it was going to be cute to let our daughter try and name her brother. She came up with “Joey the Horse,” so I guess it’s back to the drawing board.

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck it. Let it stay.

14. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed. Joey is a fine first name. TH for a middle name. Done.

Or just name him Joey and his nickname is TH. When Joey asks about his nickname, tell him when you first saw him you thought he was "hung like a horse" everyone is happy

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Give him Joey... let him earn "the Horse".

16. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.