Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] BOOCH DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jan 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Happy Booch Day!

Kombucha. Ever tried it? I am a fan. I love fermented foods and have kept kefir in the past. I think late spring I'll get a culture of booch so when summer fruits comes along I can brew some fruity kombucha. The kombucha subreddit is one I like to check in on, and if I've learned one thing from that community, it's to open the damned bottle OUTSIDE. I have cleaned shit off the ceiling once and hope to never have that chore again.

Or is booch just too hippy dippy for you?
    [​IMG]

She can't be a real hippy. Not nearly enough hair. Sorry @dixiebandit69

To continue:

I abhor food waste from top to bottom and it is a game to use up scrapes creatively. Like kitchen tetris.

You should make some weird shit with the leftovers. 1 cup of 5 different cereals? MIXED MARSHMALLOW CEREAL TREATS. 1oz of chicken and some old rice? CASSEROLE. Not enough for a casserole? Start putting all that shit in the freezer and then pull it all out at once and make a casserole with the last 3mo worth of odds n ends.

But I guess you can't force feed them.

....or can you....

Happy Friday, idiots.

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eh, I'll allow it.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I abhor your shorthand word for kombucha. I’m a terrible food waster. Even though I’m sleeping better than ever before I still have next to no energy or willpower after I get off work. Big food projects get left for the weekend and I’ll blow that off and the stuff goes bad. I sawed up the bones of the two deer I got this year and made stock. Sat in my fridge for two weeks waiting to be pressure canned. I saved half of one batch in the freezer and tossed the rest out. Happens all the time with bulk sales on meat I mean to grind and package for the freezer. Probably half a dozen pork shoulders at .89 cents a pound sat until they were bad.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Does it remind you of gooch? Or cooch? Douche?

I admit, I stole the word from the National Day calendar site. Maybe it's supposed to be reminiscent of the word hooch and the fact that it is brewed?

Anyway. I used to waste more food in the past, especially when I was working outside the house. It takes mental energy to meal plan and I have more energy to devote to that task now.

These are some habits helped me curb the waste:
    -Shop weekly. I do a grocery pickup order weekly and use that as my household shopping list throughout the week. It gets added to whenever I run out of something or decide I want to cook a specific dish. I try to plan for 2-3 meals, breakfast items, and snacks like fresh fruit or rice cakes, whatever.
    -Only stock up on dry good staples: beans, rice, flour.
    -I buy the bigger sizes of certain veggies that will last longer like potatoes (20lb sack), carrots (5lb sack). These are things routinely used but will last longer.
    -Meat is bought in 1-2 week amounts. Whatever I won't use right away goes in the freezer. When we are on the last day of leftovers a new pack of meat is taken out to thaw for the next meal.
    -For things that go bad faster like greens and fruit, they are bought weekly in amounts we can use and run out of. I prefer running out and finding something else to eat than having things go bad
    -I keep a pretty close eye on what we have. Anything not looking fresh finds a purpose asap. Bananas just a bit past eating stage? Mushed up for the freezer to use for smoothies sometime. Carrots and celery getting limp? Prep it up for soup or stew and freeze for later. Too many fresh veggies starting to limp up, we'll have a huge stirfry. When I trim chicken breast, those pieces get frozen for soup later. I try to compost as much as possible too.

Part of the avoidance of food waste is a miserly thing. I see dollars getting dumped in the trash when we forget there was lettuce in the back of the drawer, or a pack of chicken went bad before getting used because I forgot to freeze it. The other thing is that I buy pretty cheap meats, not the higher end organic/free range/whatever stuff. It hurts to think about these poor animals living a not great life on an enormous scale for the sole purpose of giving us humans sustenance, and then after all the effort going into living that life, being processed, stored, and sold to me, just ends up being dumped in the trash.

There's your hippy-ness for the day.

5. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not a fan of kombucha, despite the yogi/ acupuncturist I worked next to. Just grossed me out.

Unlike that “hippy” chick in the first post. Mercy.

I hate food waste as well. I attribute it to a lot of my childhood spent around my older family members who went through the Depression. And it’s not just food either. I’ll hang on to stuff with the intent to find a use for it “someday.” My wife laughs at me saving bread bags, bread ties, etc. until we need one.

6. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My wife routinely buys and then throws out more produce than any sane person can contemplate.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I plan groceries meticulously to avoid this. One thing is for sure: all cauliflower snd broccoli gets eaten in this house before it has a time to go bad. My wife wastes apples. She has me buy them, and she never eats the fucking things. I buy them for them for the sole purpose of them taking up valuable crisper space.

#7 Crown Royal, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

same problem here. We just feed it to the deer. They’ve learned to recognize the grocery deliveries and gather up knowing there’s gonna be a lot of food for them shortly after

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fucking hell... my best friend is looking at buying a boat. He works in the same company I do, and he's coming into a bit of cash soon... and is insanely addicted to fishing.

Turns out that a fishing lodge put a deposit down on a custom boat build, but couldn't pay the remaining 2/3'rds to get it delivered. That means that this boat is cost reduced by 1/3rd, brand new. Insane.

https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/bod/d/parksville-2021-kingfisher-3025/7261434390.html

[​IMG]

10. greybeard

greybeard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Gunna need a big bath to float that thing in

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yeah, that’s far removed from being a “Douche-Boat-Guy Boat”, that is some GEAR right there.

All it needs now is a catchy name...
    F655A3A9-836C-44B3-9A5D-8DA4CDF35B4F.jpeg

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I won the mega millions and power ball I’d buy a boat to make an always sunny reference. The want to be Instagram models I know that live for boating like that are just the type that will hook up with the past middle age douches that own those types of boats.

13. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure why, but the serif font really brought the whole thing together for me.

14. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It says reduced by 26,600. There is no way that is boat is 80k. Maybe i am just used to the custom aluminum boats around here but that is at least 150k.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I like boats and love the water, but I only LIKE boats. As in I will always enjoy other people’s boats.

I’d have to have almost endless disposable income before buying a boat. Even living with a different Great Lake less than forty minutes North or south of here I just see it as too much. They are lot of work, a lot of money, and you really have to be close to water. It has to be your #1 hobby or it becomes a money pit in no time. So many people say that line “I’m thinking about buying a boat this year!” Okay, how much do you go out on the water, or on boats? Are you one of those fucking people that went out on one for a couple days and now you feel you need to belong entirely to that lifestyle, so you already bought Nautica jackets?

Another thing I discovered about boating communities is they largely consist of either cool new-or-nearly retired people, or the garden-variety $30k millionaire with tinted sunglasses and lots of contemporary tats.

#15 Crown Royal, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I forgot to mention the asking price, which is $280k.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Screenshot_20210117-075850.png

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, thankfully my friend has a totally different outlook on that stuff.

He lives 5 minutes away from wet/dry moorage on the Fraser River, just outside of Vancouver. He grew up on the water on Vancouver Island with his dad being a fishing guide. His brother is a professional Prawn fisherman. He has access to a world class fishing resort 3 hours away by boat (otherwise fly-in only) that our boss owns. His entire family loves fishing and being on the water. He's nearing retirement and is looking to potentially do his own chartering.

He's so hardcore into that stuff that his current employment contract has a 2 week fishing trip built into it, as that was the only way our boss could poach him from his previous gig. Which is a funny story in and of itself, as we recently got acquired by a company that then did an IPO, and a shit-ton of legal types were all "WTF?" over it but in the end, even now, at a public company, he still has that 2 weeks in his contract, because the boss said "look, I gave him my word... it stays in there".

And here's a boat that is absolutely perfect for all of that and it's about $100k below list, brand new, custom build.

So yeah, he's doing what he can to snag it right now.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I really hopes he gets it. I ordered a new Airstream, he's looking at that boat... the current plan is to take 4-6 weeks this summer and tow both across the country and have some fun fishing and relaxing after years of busting our asses dealing with life-shortening stupid clients.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Tell me you got the BaseCamp model. Those things are dyno-mite. They are the Stringer Bell’s Apartment of travel trailers.

We’re looking at resident trailers as we speak, either Ipperwash/Grend Bend or Niagara region. Our property is small, a pool is out of the question (which I really, REALLY want), the dogs have hardly any lawn but I promised our daughter we’d stay in our neighbourhood until she’s at least done public school.

All forms of “Canadian getaways” (cottages, trailers, boats) are selling like never before because of COVID. The backorder for at-home exercise equipment is equally crazy right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.