Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] ACT OF KINDNESS DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Feb 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Happy national random act of kindness day.

Suggestions from the Calenders site:

Pay for the coffee or meal of the person in front of you in line.
    Leave a kind note for someone, no explanation is needed.
    Share words of encouragement. You never know who might need them.
    Put your skills to work for someone in need. For example, offer to create a résumé for someone seeking a new job.
    Drop off a load of groceries at the local food pantry.
    Mail a “thinking of you” card to someone you’ve not to talk to in a while.
    Order a bouquet of flowers to be delivered to anyone in the hospital. That means, call the florist and tell them to pick a hospital or nursing home and deliver flowers to the person the front desk thinks needs it the most. It could be a sick child, an elderly person with no family, or a college student down on their luck.
    Send a thank-you note to the local fire department, police departments, or any military personnel.
    Just smile.
    Share your random acts of kindness using #RandomActsOfKindnessDay to post on social media.

Personally, the paying for someone else's coffee thing is fine but I hate the expectation that you pass it forward. It is confusing, you might only be able to afford x and the other guy spent y, etc. But the rest of the list is fine. Spread some love y'all.

It is also never eat alone day.
    Welp, I messed that one up already. All the kids are out at the kitchen table and I'm sitting alone at the dining room table, shoveling eggs Benedict into my eating hole for the 3rd morning in a row. Bliss.

Happy Friday everyone!

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

As your first act of kindness, you can help me find some saucy pics for this thread.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These can be found on the kindgirls website, so therefore . . . kindness.

upload_2023-2-17_9-51-12.png

upload_2023-2-17_9-52-42.png

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I was the sober person who wrangled a group of overly intoxicated coworkers through a shady area and back to the hotel safely. That’s my act of kindness for this trip. Everyone can fuck off now.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So, I'm looking at making my own custom hardwood replacement front door this summer as the one that is there now is from the 70's and is just rotting out.

I started going down that YouTube rabbit hole for some inspiration and knowledge, and ran across this... a $35k custom bubinga hardwood door for a "cottage" in Whistler.

Holy fuck.

I'm tempted to do something similar, but in black walnut or some other "affordable" hardwood that is local to my area.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

More HOLY FUCK...

The same client spent $40k on a custom ebony bed.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's interesting... the work that they are doing is not hard, per se... it's well within the skill set of a medium woodworker like myself, but man, the cost of the materials they are using is insane.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And Happy Friday, everyone... it's a 3-day weekend for me here... and I'm not sure why... but tonight it's been a nice, relaxing evening of a killer steak, twice baked potatoes, a bottle of killer Shiraz from Australia, and now I'm just murdering a shit-ton of extra spicy caesars with pickled spicy beans.

Hope y'all are enjoying your evening as well.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://www.newyankee.com/episode/entrance-door/ If you can track down a video of this episode, you're right that it's well within the skill set of a medium woodworker. It's just a fuckload of wood.

10. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, and the cost of any mistake would be huge.

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably the nicest sailboat I've ever seen had a bubinga interior. Imagine the cost of that!

Semi-custom Bestevaer 49, Zenith is the name, if you want to find more pics.

Screenshot_20230218-080556-895.png

12. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I swear some people spend money just to spend money. Then again if I had hundreds of millions of dollars, who knows what weird shit I'd buy.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have my lottery fantasies. In my life two of the three companies Ive worked for the wealthy owners, net worths in the tens of millions of dollars each, were by far the cheapest cheapskates Ive ever known. First set of owners, the wife would not buy pre-sliced bagels for client's catering because fewer would use the bagel slicer so she could take more bagels home. They also forbade coffee in the break room because they didnt want to pay for the coffee grounds. When we told them we brought in our own coffee to brew miffed they made up another excuse to forbid it then subsequently forgot this did when we kept brewing it anyway. The story goes with the other husband and wife team Ive worked for the husband wore his dad shoes until until the soles came off. She made him duct tape them until the shoes went on sale again. Never bought their kids their own clothes just used hand me downs from their nieces and nephews. These people own apartments in Manhattan and go on African Safaris. Both had a propensity to use workers as their own personal servants. Shoveling the parking lots and building maintenance workers had no business doing.

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, I had an employee who drove a brand new BMW, but had a hole in his sole and his sock would get wet when it rained. Literally could not afford new shoes but was driving a ~$60k car.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got the trifecta: beach, mountains, city. Buy a house/apartment in each and go to whichever hits my fancy at a given time. So San Diego/Jackson Hole/Manhattan, or Honolulu/Aspen/San Francisco, etc. I feel like if you have those three, you've got most lifestyles covered.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same. Apartment in my home city. Beach House. Hunting lodge.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s not the first time I’ve heard about a guy living in an efficiency apartment just in order to drive a nice car. That seems like a shitty sacrifice to me.

18. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Happens in the country, too. Around here, it's trailer parks instead of extended stay efficiency apartments.

Don't forget the folks with wheels and tires that they are likely making payments on, also, to make their ride unique.

19. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The second anyone uses the word “inappropriate” to describe any situation, they no longer exist to me. I can stick a tire iron in their vapour and wave it around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.